Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

britain

It’s not a case of mutual exclusivity. If a story is about a particular place it can very well be set in that place.

Sure, but I think now we're mixing up 'story' with 'theme'. Normally this really wouldn't matter (Matterhorn & Space Mountain have themes, but no real story - and that's ok!) But because AK has ...thus far... been very consistent with its subject matter, the stories of possible new additions to the park are being heavily scrutinized.

And all of this is besides the point because not only does Indy fit the style of AK, Indy CAN have a story that supports the AK subject matter of Nature > Man.

ChewbaccaYourMum

If you don’t know and don’t care, then why are you continuing to speak on the subject?

There are themes all of those areas. You’re also now conflating ornament with theme. Lots of props doesn’t make something “themed.”

Because I'm interested in the topic of Indy coming to Florida and this is where the thread is heading so I'm stating my points and sticking up for myself. Isn't this what a forum thread is supposed to be about?

GiveMeTheMusic

If you don’t know and don’t care, then why are you continuing to speak on the subject?

9f8a35083091180355012b13675b47d0.gif

Mike S

As you point out the story would have to be adapted to fit but it could be done.

Archeology would not be the key though. Archeology is the study of human history through artifacts, that's really not what the park is about.

But like I said the story could by adapted to make it work.
Which brings me back to "Indiana Jones and The Lost World."

Call me anytime you want help with this project Disney.
Yeah, I agree.

This is where I think Disney went kind of wrong with making three other parks that have specific themes. Epcot not so much, it is broader, but when you have places like Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.

Hollywood Studios, at first, they threw in movie studio related rides and shows. They moved away from that and now throw movie related rides in there. More specifically, themed lands tied to one specific movie. Which doesn't really fit the Studios name anymore imo which is why I think they should change the name of that park, but whatever that's a different discussion.

With Animal Kingdom, I feel they could have made it a little more broader and maybe make it more of an extension of Adventureland alongside the animal/conservation aspect. Instead of having to put things in specific to animals and conservation, it could have had that element plus an adventure/wild element where rides like Indy would fit perfectly based on storyline AND theming.

There's no evidence against that maybe Disney's end plan is to push Animal Kingdom to be more like this in the future, and I'm actually ok with that. You can say back to that argument that stuff like that could fit into Adventureland and just put it there, but imo Animal Kingdom could use stuff like the type of rides that fit into Adventureland. Have the animal and conservation side, but still be able to add in a little more broader rides that thematically fit the look of the park and add more adventure/fun rides to the park.
The park still needs Dinosaurs though.
I think some people here are using the word "theme" as "subject matter" and others are using the word "theme" as "style". Both are valid definitions, but they are tripping up the conversation.

The Grand Floridian has a Victorian theme (style). But also has no theme (subject matter) besides some thin backstory for trivia books.
Pandora has an alien tropical theme (style) and it also has respect nature theme (subject matter).
If Beastly Kingdom had been built, it would have had a medieval theme (style) and a... respect magic... "don't steal gold from dragons"? theme (subject matter).

I think Joe Rhode said that the real theme (subject matter AND style) to AK is how the natural world can totally overpower man. I probably paraphrased that poorly, but this is what distinguishes EPCOT from AK: One puts humanism on a pedestal, the other lets that pedestal tip over while vines grow all over it.

I don't see why Indiana Jones stories can't fit Animal Kingdom both style-wise and subject-matter-wise.
What better way to show nature overpowering man than Dinosaurs?

PorterRedkey

I read on the Disney and more blogspot that Disneyland Paris might build the long planned Indy land in their magic kingdom.

Typical Disney ... why build ONE when you can build TWO ... and fit it in somewhere at WDW !!
This would share the costs. So if this is true and Paris will finally be getting and Indy ride, I can totally see this happening.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2017/08/disneys-animal-kingdom-to-get-indiana.html?m=1
This article says there will be a new actor playing Indy, that is false. Harrison Ford will still play Indiana Jones.

lazyboy97o

Sure, but I think now we're mixing up 'story' with 'theme'. Normally this really wouldn't matter (Matterhorn & Space Mountain have themes, but no real story - and that's ok!) But because AK has ...thus far... been very consistent with its subject matter, the stories of possible new additions to the park are being heavily scrutinized.
Those attractions do have stories. A specific linear narrative with backstory is not the only form of story.

Because I'm interested in the topic of Indy coming to Florida and this is where the thread is heading so I'm stating my points and sticking up for myself. Isn't this what a forum thread is supposed to be about?
Sticking up for what? Not caring? If you don’t care then there is nothing to stand up for. If you have a point then actually stick up for it, don’t try to elevate by denegrating the subject matter.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Those attractions do have stories. A specific linear narrative with backstory is not the only form of story.

Sticking up for what? Not caring? If you don’t care then there is nothing to stand up for. If you have a point then actually stick up for it, don’t try to elevate by denegrating the subject matter.

I do care. I actually care a lot about Disney. I was just saying in my post that I don't scrutinize every little thing to such an extent like many on these boards do.

In my other posts you could see I was sticking up for the fact that I think the overall look/theme of Indy Adventure looks like the overall look/theme of Animal Kingdom and I can see how they can fit something like Indy in if maybe they change the idea of Animal Kingdom to be a, sort of, extension of Adventureland WITH the animal/conservation aspect still intact. The back and forth comments led to me giving that comment about myself not being as strict to the theming in the parks and you just happened to pick that one out and try to make me look like I don't care.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but you don't gotta be mean, dude. I'm always lurking on these forums and rarely comment, even though I want to, because it seems every time I try to get involved I'm ridiculed by some because I don't agree with the "it's all now" and "everything they do now sucks" attitude.

WildcatDen

Nothing Coaster-style in your tea leaves?
It was mentioned as the "E" but I got the impression that the water ride was thought of in a more favorable light. Still, a coaster was mentioned as either the main E or potentially a new add D/E but Serpico seemed to doubt the chance of 2 new E Tickets replacing a D and a C/B. I think, if they go coaster over water, then yes it would be a coaster style. Interesting the way it was described.

We have a sorta themed sorta bare bones "Indiana Jones" style coaster up here at Kings Island. I think, if done in a more "Disney Way", Adventure Express would be a nice D addition . . .

peter11435

In my other posts you could see I was sticking up for the fact that I think the overall look/theme of Indy Adventure looks like the overall look/theme of Animal Kingdom and I can see how they can fit something like Indy in if maybe they change the idea of Animal Kingdom to be a, sort of, extension of Adventureland WITH the animal/conservation aspect still intact.
The issue I have with Indy at dak is that in their current state the two don't mesh. Indy has nothing to do with animals or nature. Sure you could alter the story to make Indy fit the park in its current form. Or you could alter the theme of the park as your propose to make Indy fit in its current form. But why? Why turn either one into something it's not just to make this work. There are already two parks at WDW where Indy could go without having to compromise the integrity of the IP or the park itself.

champdisney

I do care. I actually care a lot about Disney. I was just saying in my post that I don't scrutinize every little thing to such an extent like many on these boards do.

In my other posts you could see I was sticking up for the fact that I think the overall look/theme of Indy Adventure looks like the overall look/theme of Animal Kingdom and I can see how they can fit something like Indy in if maybe they change the idea of Animal Kingdom to be a, sort of, extension of Adventureland WITH the animal/conservation aspect still intact. The back and forth comments led to me giving that comment about myself not being as strict to the theming in the parks and you just happened to pick that one out and try to make me look like I don't care.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but you don't gotta be mean, dude. I'm always lurking on these forums and rarely comment, even though I want to, because it seems every time I try to get involved I'm ridiculed by some because I don't agree with the "it's all **** now" and "everything they do now sucks" attitude.
Don't mind him. He's one of the few on this board who'll fight till death just to appear right.

bclane

Archaeology is about the preservation of man's own history, not that of animals. Nor about how man's nature relates to the nature of animals. Indy is a series of movies that happen to have exotic locations within it where animals live, but they are never about them.

I like Indy, and I can't imagine any of the above would stop them from adding him to AK if they wanted to, but to suggest that the property is readymade on-theme for the park is a big stretch.
Here's a scenario. Indy discovers dinosaur bones in a temple and the bones are decorated in a way that indicates they are clearly religious artifacts of some civilization (so of interest to an archeologist since they aren't just bones). The bones hold the key to discovering whatever he is looking for and set him on a course that eventually leads to him finding living dinos. Problem solved. Indy fits in AK and the dinosaurs get to stay. Anyone? Oh well, I tried.

ChewbaccaYourMum

The issue I have with Indy at dak is that in their current state the two don't mesh. Indy has nothing to do with animals or nature. Sure you could alter the story to make Indy fit the park in its current form. Or you could alter the theme of the park as your propose to make Indy fit in its current form. But why? Why turn either one into something it's not just to make this work. There are already two parks at WDW where Indy could go without having to compromise the integrity of the IP or the park itself.

Exactly it could fit perfectly in Adventureland, but the problem I see is does Magic Kingdom really need more rides right now compared to the other parks. And it could fit in Hollywood Studios, but they’re already getting Star Wars, Toy Story and Mickey and yeah it needs more, I agree, but I think Animal Kingdom, even after Pandora, needs way more. With a little more of a broader message to animal kingdom of like animals/Adventure/jungle/wild/the planet and conservation then you could add more rides like Indy and keep the amazing look of Animal Kingdom and message. I’m just having fun with this. I love Indy and would love for it to come to Florida and if this is the only chance we’ll get then I’ll defitnitly take it!

Minthorne

I dunno, coming across Mt Everest and then having a Yeti encounter vs. COming acrosss a lost temple in the Jungle and having a Indy encounter. Both seem about the same as far as how much they mesh with AK's theme. It's loose but say the queue for Indy is all through snake exhibits and jungle/rain forest.

That said, I actually prefer Dinosaur to the Indy attraction in DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom