Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

No Name

I find it worrying that Joe Rohde is visiting Asia and not South America. Why make the ride set in Asia when the ride isn't in the land Asia? That's stupid. Make it set in South America, so that when this wave of executive malfeasance rides over, you can have a solid South America land.

Let me begin by stating that I am not a Disney insider. I do not have the knowledge of members like @WDW1974 , @marni1971 , and @Magic Feather . I am a research psychologist that regularly attends and presents at conferences and meetings that are attended by animal scientists and comparative psychologists that work at Disney's Animal Kingdom and The Seas with Nemo and Friends (which is still referred to as The Living Seas at professional conferences). Over the past several years, I have studied play, including its purpose, how it is measured, and how it is comparable between humans and non-human animals. Because of this research program, I have had the opportunity to meet with two scientists and one imagineer.

These individuals have described Disney's Animal Kingdom as being "the red headed stepchild" of Disney Parks. Disney's Animal Kingdom is accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA). Beyond animal care and management, accredited zoos and aquariums are to engage in rigorous conservation, research, and education programs. Although Disney has Disneynature and the Disney Conservation Fund, there is a significant disconnect between these arms of the company and Disney's Animal Kingdom park. Specifically, the animal scientists and conservation biologists are not heard.

Take Kilimanjaor Safairs for example. Zebras tend not to be aggressive. However, on the safari, they began displaying pack-like behavior and hunted other animals. Giraffes commonly fell because of the terrain. These are serious issues that do not have to be addressed on The Jungle Cruise. When Pandora was announced, significant concerns were raised regarding how lighting and noise could cause the animals stress. I am told that individuals outside of the animal science program neither understand these issues nor want to deal with them.

As recent as November 2016, I was told that animal programs would not be expanded at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Instead, over time, they would be reduced as the parked shifts from an AZA zoo to a jungle theme park. Instead of an Australia with kangaroos and koalas or South America with an Amazon rainforest, the direction is to use IPs like The Jungle Book, Indiana Jones, and Zootopia. Animals will continue to have a presence in the park, but the focus will not be inspiring through live animals.

The Oasis has several animal habitats, which continue to remain empty. Also, it is not always common to be met by someone from the animal science team that is showcasing an animal in that area. The reason for this, again from the people that I know, is because animal programming is not valued. Like Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom is going to change. However, unless you are entering the park seeking scientific discovery, you may not even notice what slowly disappears.

Thank you for sharing.

But if they insist on reducing the live animal presence, I'd rather them go the Expedition Everest route and explore real myths and legends of different cultures. Or explore extinct animals like Dinosaurs. Or explore real animals in ride form. At least that will keep the park a respectable place.

However, it looks like they're disregarding that for random movie settings that vaguely fit the park, which is irritating. I also think the folks in charge took the wrong lessons from Rivers of Light, which is irritating as well.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
"How did you know she was a Nazi?"
"She talksh in her shleep."
indianajones3-01.jpg

Last edited:

Magic Feather

If one of the Indy plans comes to light, it should have nothing to do with Rhode's trip to Bali. If anyone wants to jump on the drawing long shot conclusions train, Mystic Manor features a Balinese Music Box... (And the false speculation ensues) I think I might know the Bali-based project, but I will have to double check (it's a long shot, almost a longer one than going to Bali for Pandora).

Matt7187

If one of the Indy plans comes to light, it should have nothing to do with Rhode's trip to Bali. If anyone wants to jump on the drawing long shot conclusions train, Mystic Manor features a Balinese Music Box... (And the false speculation ensues) I think I might know the Bali-based project, but I will have to double check (it's a long shot, almost a longer one than going to Bali for Pandora).
gallery-1470917828-rock-eyebrow.gif

Just4Pics

I love how much is happening at WDW these days!

Amidala

For everyone who continues to talk bad about Dinoland I think it's time that you learn about the incredible amount of themeing that the Imagineers put into this land. People spend so much time on this site just bashing every little thing without any knowledge about what certain things in WDW are all about. Here's a chance to learn something about everyone's favorite world. http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2009/08/chester_and_hesters_dinorama.html

I agree w/ others in that this isn't really relevant, and most of us were already aware of it anyway. Various locations and attractions on property (from Disney Springs, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach to individual restaurants throughout the parks) were given "backstories" to enrich the sense of immersion for guests. This doesn't change the fact that Dino-rama stands out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of DAK, which is an example of high-caliber, quality theming. I appreciate the creativity that goes into creating these kinds of backstories and planting easter eggs throughout an area to support them...but that's still slapping a band-aid on a problem area. Dino-rama exists because TDO were forced to cut corners on DAK at the time, not because they had a vision they wanted to realize and were prepared to pour as much time and money into it as necessary to make it work.

Let me begin by stating that I am not a Disney insider. I do not have the knowledge of members like @WDW1974 , @marni1971 , and @Magic Feather . I am a research psychologist that regularly attends and presents at conferences and meetings that are attended by animal scientists and comparative psychologists that work at Disney's Animal Kingdom and The Seas with Nemo and Friends (which is still referred to as The Living Seas at professional conferences). Over the past several years, I have studied play, including its purpose, how it is measured, and how it is comparable between humans and non-human animals. Because of this research program, I have had the opportunity to meet with two scientists and one imagineer.

These individuals have described Disney's Animal Kingdom as being "the red headed stepchild" of Disney Parks. Disney's Animal Kingdom is accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA). Beyond animal care and management, accredited zoos and aquariums are to engage in rigorous conservation, research, and education programs. Although Disney has Disneynature and the Disney Conservation Fund, there is a significant disconnect between these arms of the company and Disney's Animal Kingdom park. Specifically, the animal scientists and conservation biologists are not heard.

Take Kilimanjaro Safaris for example. Zebras tend not to be aggressive. However, on the safari, they began displaying pack-like behavior and hunted other animals. Giraffes commonly fell because of the terrain. These are serious issues that do not have to be addressed on The Jungle Cruise. When Pandora was announced, significant concerns were raised regarding how lighting and noise could cause the animals stress. I am told that individuals outside of the animal science program neither understand these issues nor want to deal with them.

As recent as November 2016, I was told that animal programs would not be expanded at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Instead, over time, they would be reduced as the parked shifts from an AZA zoo to a jungle theme park. Instead of an Australia with kangaroos and koalas or South America with an Amazon rainforest, the direction is to use IPs like The Jungle Book, Indiana Jones, and Zootopia. Animals will continue to have a presence in the park, but the focus will not be inspiring through live animals.

The Oasis has several animal habitats, which continue to remain empty. Also, it is not always common to be met by someone from the animal science team that is showcasing an animal in that area. The reason for this, again from the people that I know, is because animal programming is not valued. Like Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom is going to change. However, unless you are entering the park seeking scientific discovery, you may not even notice what slowly disappears.

This was a really informative read, thank you! I think we would all like to believe DAK values the lives of these animals and wants to ensure that they're healthy and totally acclimated, but this is a business...money and growth will always be at the forefront of their minds. If it's best for the animals, I'm all for moving away from the original plan. It wouldn't sit well w/ me for DAK to continue to push messages of conservation, only to mistreat these animals for profit. And I think, regardless of what TDO choose to do w/ DAK going forward, this is a good thing to keep in mind as guests and fans of Disney. It reminds me of the discussion over in one of the Epcot threads about how Disney's "edutainment" will always be biased or oversimplified because of Disney's agenda as a company (How can Disney preach about protecting our natural environment at Epcot and then pollute the air with Illuminations every night? etc. etc.)

Maybe DAK will be able to find a middle ground by still pushing that message of conservation but taking live animals out of the equation.

rreading

Take Kilimanjaro Safaris for example. Zebras tend not to be aggressive. However, on the safari, they began displaying pack-like behavior and hunted other animals. Giraffes commonly fell because of the terrain. These are serious issues that do not have to be addressed on The Jungle Cruise. When Pandora was announced, significant concerns were raised regarding how lighting and noise could cause the animals stress. I am told that individuals outside of the animal science program neither understand these issues nor want to deal with them.

I am "liking" this post because I appreciate the information - not because I like this information. I hope that this diminishment is unnoticeable (though I suspect it is inevitable). That being said, I would say that I am the one of our four family members who appreciates DAK as a zoo.

Sonconato

Let me say I've been an avid Disney Fan, and I even moved to Orlando from Boston for Disney. Disney has disappointed me many times, but this truly breaks my heart. Forty-three years of loving Disney and they've truly broken my heart. I love animals. Thank you for sharing.

TyTrap

I'm a huge fan of dinosaur and would be devastated to see it go. My argument is animal kingdom's mission statement has always been to represent real animals, prehistoric animals, and animals that are fictitious. Especially with scientists making new discoveries about dinosaurs why not just revamp dinoland itself? I think a better fit for Indiana Jones would be adventure land.

TyTrap

And on top of that we won't have any dinosaurs represented in Disney at all now that Universe of Energy is gone. Dinosaur is the last bastion for those that are fans of prehistoric animals in Disney.

Suspirian

Just bulldoze Nemo and Dinorama and add an indoors Ice Age area (not the subpar animated movies). We get to keep the dinos, expand the presence of extinct animals, and get a lot of AC!

I'd love this. It could even still include Indy and their need for IP inclusion. Although most archaeologists don't directly work with animals like most here have stated, they do study animals as they apply to early human activity. Having an Indy attraction based on some fictional paleolithic cave or ruins (maybe with some mammoths and saber tooth cats along the way) might not be too far fetched. A bit of a stretch since Indy really seems like a glorified looter rather than an actual archaeologist but it could work and still keep the theme of the park!

Thank you for this. Very sad to hear but I'd support the decision of phasing live animals out if they're not being properly accommodated by Disney.

Last edited:

WDW1974

If Dinosaur is safe, then does that mean the major attraction would fit into the remaining Dinoland, or is there a possibility of it being a separate theme altogether?

I didn't say it was safe. Just that I don't believe this will happen for quite a few years IF it does happen. ... The only thing preventing me saying this won't happen is this sounds like exactly the type of thing Chappie would do -- he already has if you look at GotG Tower (that was all his doing). The major attraction I have heard replacing Dinorama has a theme that woud befit Dinoland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom