Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

becca_

D2236364-76DC-4B76-9885-440952CD3FD8_zpsovoadrpt.png

Yeppp. Indiana jones. Where oh where will Indy go?
I hope that if he's on this project (if there's a project to be had), it'll be very well done... I have high hopes for you, Mr. Rohde!! SOD... Save our dinosaurs!!

Kman101

They don't care but we shouldn't encourage them.

I agree but they're going to do what they want. Sadly they don't listen to us.

And if it's a choice between Zootopia and Indiana Jones (and they're dead-set on getting rid of Dinoland altogether, because I'd obviously prefer them keeping Dinoland) then I'll pick Indy.

They could stretch it to "fit" and this strategy doesn't surprise me. It disappoints me.

Razgriz

Not too be rude, but why?

Dinos and humans where millions of years apart and could never have coexisted.
As much as I love dinosaurs that section seems so low quality and there just isn't much to it

On the other hand Animals are just one of the elements that works in AK favor, the culture and "nature" theme is actually what I like best.
And seeing more of that would make me very excited, Indy would be the icing on the cake.

rle4lunch

Since archeologists don't dig up dino bones most people will outright reject this as a possibility. But I can imagine a scenario where Indy has to work with paleontologists because Dino's show up on one of his adventures...say on artwork or as actual bones in one of his digs that seemingly rewrites scientific thought on when Dino's existed etc. Another scenario could be Indy disturbing some artifact which causes an earthquake and opens up a passage into an underground realm where Dino's are still thriving. Anyway just trying to think how Mickey could possibly integrate Indy into a Dino themed area but who knows what they are thinking here.

One rumor of the next movie is Atlantis. They could show how dinosaurs lived with the atlantians and how a meteor wiped out the continent. They would have minimal work to rework the ride and it would fit dak conservation theme. Problem solved.

FrankLapidus

I've long thought that Dinoland has been in pretty dire need of an overhaul but like the theme enough that I never really considered that it could be replaed entirely.

I wouldn't have thought of Indiana Jones as a potential replacement. But, as a lifelong Indy fanatic, I'd love nothing more than to see an immersive IJ-themed land brought to a WDW park. It absolutely makes more sense to do that at DHS but, as others have said and have suggested examples, I suppose that Indy could make at least some sense as a thematic fit at Animal Kingdom.

I'm not sure what to think about this rumour; I want an Indy land at WDW, just not necessarily at DAK.

Disneyhead'71

Back to this rumor. I have heard rumblings of a multi-attraction Indy land, but I was under the impression it would be going into DHS. As we were also talking about a major redo in the Indy area at DHS that would take Echo Lake, the entire Sounds Dangerous building, Indy, Backlot Express, and Star Tours. But if Indy goes into DAK, I can see the DHS thing being something not Indy.

999th Happy Haunt

Back to this rumor. I have heard rumblings of a multi-attraction Indy land, but I was under the impression it would be going into DHS. As we were also talking about a major redo in the Indy area at DHS that would take Echo Lake, the entire Sounds Dangerous building, Indy, Backlot Express, and Star Tours. But if Indy goes into DAK, I can see the DHS thing being something not Indy.
That land at DHS would be dope

SpaceMountain77

Let me begin by stating that I am not a Disney insider. I do not have the knowledge of members like @WDW1974 , @marni1971 , and @Magic Feather . I am a research psychologist that regularly attends and presents at conferences and meetings that are attended by animal scientists and comparative psychologists that work at Disney's Animal Kingdom and The Seas with Nemo and Friends (which is still referred to as The Living Seas at professional conferences). Over the past several years, I have studied play, including its purpose, how it is measured, and how it is comparable between humans and non-human animals. Because of this research program, I have had the opportunity to meet with two scientists and one imagineer.

These individuals have described Disney's Animal Kingdom as being "the red headed stepchild" of Disney Parks. Disney's Animal Kingdom is accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA). Beyond animal care and management, accredited zoos and aquariums are to engage in rigorous conservation, research, and education programs. Although Disney has Disneynature and the Disney Conservation Fund, there is a significant disconnect between these arms of the company and Disney's Animal Kingdom park. Specifically, the animal scientists and conservation biologists are not heard.

Take Kilimanjaro Safaris for example. Zebras tend not to be aggressive. However, on the safari, they began displaying pack-like behavior and hunted other animals. Giraffes commonly fell because of the terrain. These are serious issues that do not have to be addressed on The Jungle Cruise. When Pandora was announced, significant concerns were raised regarding how lighting and noise could cause the animals stress. I am told that individuals outside of the animal science program neither understand these issues nor want to deal with them.

As recent as November 2016, I was told that animal programs would not be expanded at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Instead, over time, they would be reduced as the parked shifts from an AZA zoo to a jungle theme park. Instead of an Australia with kangaroos and koalas or South America with an Amazon rainforest, the direction is to use IPs like The Jungle Book, Indiana Jones, and Zootopia. Animals will continue to have a presence in the park, but the focus will not be inspiring through live animals.

The Oasis has several animal habitats, which continue to remain empty. Also, it is not always common to be met by someone from the animal science team that is showcasing an animal in that area. The reason for this, again from the people that I know, is because animal programming is not valued. Like Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom is going to change. However, unless you are entering the park seeking scientific discovery, you may not even notice what slowly disappears.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

God I hope it hits DHS. It fits brilliantly. Has the excitement that park has. And it would fit in well with the 30's/40's aesthetic of the park. Not sure what the reasoning would be to NOT put it in DHS. It's needed far more there.

Mickey5150

There are plenty of fun and interesting little design details in the land, for sure

But "amusement park" is still a lame theme for a land inside a theme park.
Especially considering it's a land about dinos, so much wasted potential.
So you didn't read the blog post I mentioned. First read the whole story of Dinoland and then comment. Thank you.

misterID

Let me begin by stating that I am not a Disney insider. I do not have the knowledge of members like @WDW1974 , @marni1971 , and @Magic Feather . I am a research psychologist that regularly attends and presents at conferences and meetings that are attended by animal scientists and comparative psychologists that work at Disney's Animal Kingdom and The Seas with Nemo and Friends (which is still referred to as The Living Seas at professional conferences). Over the past several years, I have studied play, including its purpose, how it is measured, and how it is comparable between humans and non-human animals. Because of this research program, I have had the opportunity to meet with two scientists and one imagineer.

These individuals have described Disney's Animal Kingdom as being "the red headed stepchild" of Disney Parks. Disney's Animal Kingdom is accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA). Beyond animal care and management, accredited zoos and aquariums are to engage in rigorous conservation, research, and education programs. Although Disney has Disneynature and the Disney Conservation Fund, there is a significant disconnect between these arms of the company and Disney's Animal Kingdom park. Specifically, the animal scientists and conservation biologists are not heard.

Take Kilimanjaor Safairs for example. Zebras tend not to be aggressive. However, on the safari, they began displaying pack-like behavior and hunted other animals. Giraffes commonly fell because of the terrain. These are serious issues that do not have to be addressed on The Jungle Cruise. When Pandora was announced, significant concerns were raised regarding how lighting and noise could cause the animals stress. I am told that individuals outside of the animal science program neither understand these issues nor want to deal with them.

As recent as November 2016, I was told that animal programs would not be expanded at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Instead, over time, they would be reduced as the parked shifts from an AZA zoo to a jungle theme park. Instead of an Australia with kangaroos and koalas or South America with an Amazon rainforest, the direction is to use IPs like The Jungle Book, Indiana Jones, and Zootopia. Animals will continue to have a presence in the park, but the focus will not be inspiring through live animals.

The Oasis has several animal habitats, which continue to remain empty. Also, it is not always common to be met by someone from the animal science team that is showcasing an animal in that area. The reason for this, again from the people that I know, is because animal programming is not valued. Like Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom is going to change. However, unless you are entering the park seeking scientific discovery, you may not even notice what slowly disappears.
Good post and pretty disheartening.

Timothy_Q

So you didn't read the blog post I mentioned. First read the whole story of Dinoland and then comment. Thank you.
You can put in as much backstory as you want to a land/ride, it doesn't change the fact that it's a cheap looking amusement park.

A well designed land doesn't require you to know its backstory to be able to appreciate it.

Besides, even Disney Springs has a backstory.

bclane

Take Kilimanjaor Safairs for example. Zebras tend not to be aggressive. However, on the safari, they began displaying pack-like behavior and hunted other animals. Giraffes commonly fell because of the terrain. These are serious issues that do not have to be addressed on The Jungle Cruise. When Pandora was announced, significant concerns were raised regarding how lighting and noise could cause the animals stress. I am told that individuals outside of the animal science program neither understand these issues nor want to deal with them.

Makes me sad to think about but I have wondered how long AK would be able to continue the way they started out. While I never liked the idea of the circus beating the elephants into submission, it was eye opening when Ringling Bros gave up their elephants. Sign of the times... SeaWorld is moving away from whales, and zoos are under increasing pressure from animal rights activists. It just seems like the writing is on the wall for animal based parks to start diversifying away from live animals (especially large roaming animals) or face issues down the road. I personally believe that zoos and parks like AK and SW serve a valuable purpose in helping to create a love for animals amongst the general population.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom