Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Why do you want to "get around" the theme of the park instead of making it cohesive?
That's the whole point of having themes, otherwise it's just random stuff.
EPCOT has completely forgotten it's theme, how is that working out?

EPCOT is IMO, not a comparable situation, there's too many other factors going on which is why I didn't use that park as a comparison.

Amidala

I'm split on this...Of course I 100% want to see Dino-rama go. But with the addition of Pandora, DAK is finally starting to build a solid roster of "traditional" (non-safari) attractions (FoP, EE, Dinosaur, etc.) and I would hate to see Dinosaur cut along w/ the rest of Dinoland USA. If Dinosaur did have to be nixed, I would at the very least like to see a brand new (E or D-Ticket) ride concept with theming that can't be found at another Disney park. Iffy on whether or not Indy would "fit" the theme of the park (I don't think it does inherently, but can see how it can be made to work) but I would be the most bothered by the replication of an existing ride at a unique park with so much potential for innovative expansion.

Daveeeeed

You're mixing up the name of a park with the theme of a park
They're not exactly the same thing

The theme of DisneySea is exploration.
Tot, Journey, Indiana Jones all fit that theme.

The theme of Animal Kingdom is conservation and the relationship between man and nature.
You kinda need nature and animals for that theme.

But you don't need the ocean for TDS's theme
I am perfectly okay with a South America land receiving an Indiana Jones ride as him not being animated makes him more grounded in reality for a realistic land. Pandora fit the mystical aspect and the conservation aspect of Animal Kingdom so darn well, the IP attached does not matter (as with Splash).

I really like your summary as it is exactly why Indiana Jones should go to Adventureland or Hollywood Studios. But in a new land tied into the animals of South America, I believe it could work out pretty well. Yes, it's not about conservation, but Kali, Kilimanjaro Safaris, and Flight of Passage are, so I don't think by it being slightly off the main message using exploration is actually that bad of a fit. It is certainly nowhere near as bad as GOTG in Epcot, but it isn't ideal. And while Indiana Jones Adventure is 100x better than Dinosaur, it would be a waste of money to retheme it. The amount of cash required makes me believe that TDO would cheap out on this one. Indy has absolute perfect immersion, so any gaps in Orlando would be very noticeable.

Timothy_Q

I am perfectly okay with a South America land receiving an Indiana Jones ride as him not being animated makes him more grounded in reality for a realistic land. Pandora fit the mystical aspect and the conservation aspect of Animal Kingdom so darn well, the IP attached does not matter (as with Splash).

I really like your summary as it is exactly why Indiana Jones should go to Adventureland or Hollywood Studios. But in a new land tied into the animals of South America, I believe it could work out pretty well. Yes, it's not about conservation, but Kali, Kilimanjaro Safaris, and Flight of Passage are, so I don't think by it being slightly off the main message using exploration is actually that bad of a fit. It is certainly nowhere near as bad as GOTG in Epcot, but it isn't ideal. And while Indiana Jones Adventure is 100x better than Dinosaur, it would be a waste of money to retheme it. The amount of cash required makes me believe that TDO would cheap out on this one. Indy has absolute perfect immersion, so any gaps in Orlando would be very noticeable.
I agree.
In this scenario, a South America land with IJA and a new IP-free ride that connects with South American animals would be the best option.
I would welcome that.

But I don't have any faith that Disney has plans for that.
All I can picture is an Indiana Jones land, which has zero place in AK

ChrisFL

Premium Member
My first question still stands, why do you want to "get around" the theme of the park?

It only leads to the homogenization of the parks.
Don't wanna use Epcot in this example? Then see DCA. Random stuff. No theme

I already provided my example. Every theme has its pros and cons. I happen to think that DAK is too harshly tied (by fans) to its namesake and idea. You can have other themes that relate closely to the primary theme without losing the essence of the park overall.

I'm seriously questioning why anyone would prefer to keep DinoRama, once known as a complete travesty, filled with carny rides and games, gaudy flashing lights as part of something you'd rather keep at DAK.

Timothy_Q

I already provided my example. Every theme has its pros and cons. I happen to think that DAK is too harshly tied (by fans) to its namesake and idea. You can have other themes that relate closely to the primary theme without losing the essence of the park overall.

Indiana Jones fits DHS, another park that needs attractions. There's no "Pros" in putting it in DAK

I'm seriously questioning why anyone would prefer to keep DinoRama, once known as a complete travesty, filled with carny rides and games, gaudy flashing lights as part of something you'd rather keep at DAK.

Nobody wants to keep Dinorama. That's besides the point

Nobody wants SGE either. Doesn't mean it should be replaced by Rapunzel.

WDW1974

I love summer. The kids are out from school. The rumors fly hot and heavy.

Now, I don't want to say this isn't possible. The fact ToT and UoE have been taken over by the GotG should say otherwise. The fact that Disney's 3rd Gate MAGICal IP Park is losing its signature attraction for a short, screen-based ride themed to Mickey shorts from 2013 to now should again say anything is possible.

That said, beyond the fact it is a horrible idea that waters down the park's cohesive theming (something no 21st century fanboi seems to understand or care about ... it's amazing how these once were the volleys lobbed at UNI when Disney is worse about it as it is actively destroying the whole concept of theme parks), it still is very unlikely.

There ARE plans (as I have hinted at) to remove Dinorama and add a major attraction. I am not sure I would call them anything beyond proposed at this point. But removing Dinosaur isn't the same as removing Dinorama. The land is not Dinorama. And that will go, likely within the next half dozen or so years.

That said, I could see this being Chappie's own idea. And tossed at Iger, who would love it. So however unlikely, I would never say never ...

WDW1974

Dinosaur is not in Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama.

It's a "theme park" not a "collection of themes park."

I wish people understood facts.

I wish so-called fans understood what a theme park, especially a Disney park actually was.

I wish people didn't simply care about 'what I like.'

Lots of wishes have I ... wish Disney never bought Lucas etc etc.

Monorail_Orange

I'm not advocating keeping DinoRama, it's an abomination. I also think, in spite of Indy being my personal favorite Disney ride I've experienced, it would be a waste of resources to reskin Dinosaur into an Indy ride. You would destroy an existing, arguably popular ride that fits thematically to spend more money to recreate another existing popular ride that doesn't. I would argue it would be a better use of resources to flat out clone IJA from DL and drop it as-is (as a new build) into DHS or Adventureland. (Not that the clone is an ideal solution either.) At the end of the day, the rule in construction is that it is usually much cheaper to build new.

So my thought is: Redo DinoRama into something that actually fits Dinoland/AK. Build Indy new in DHS or MK, preferably in a new formula from the other existing versions, i.e. an IJA with the Shanghai Pirates tech.

Matt7187

I love summer. The kids are out from school. The rumors fly hot and heavy.

Now, I don't want to say this isn't possible. The fact ToT and UoE have been taken over by the GotG should say otherwise. The fact that Disney's 3rd Gate MAGICal IP Park is losing its signature attraction for a short, screen-based ride themed to Mickey shorts from 2013 to now should again say anything is possible.

That said, beyond the fact it is a horrible idea that waters down the park's cohesive theming (something no 21st century fanboi seems to understand or care about ... it's amazing how these once were the volleys lobbed at UNI when Disney is worse about it as it is actively destroying the whole concept of theme parks), it still is very unlikely.

There ARE plans (as I have hinted at) to remove Dinorama and add a major attraction. I am not sure I would call them anything beyond proposed at this point. But removing Dinosaur isn't the same as removing Dinorama. The land is not Dinorama. And that will go, likely within the next half dozen or so years.

That said, I could see this being Chappie's own idea. And tossed at Iger, who would love it. So however unlikely, I would never say never ...
If Dinosaur is safe, then does that mean the major attraction would fit into the remaining Dinoland, or is there a possibility of it being a separate theme altogether?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom