Is Galaxy’s Edge the new Euro Disney?

Tank Man

Back in the 90s, Disney was betting huge on the success of Euro Disney. It was a multi billion dollar investment and they thought it was going to be an instant success. Then the park opened and was a complete failure. It resulted in DIsney having to cut the budget or cancel many projects such as Tomorrowland 2055, Westcot, and other future attractions at the other parks. Then Space Mountain opened at Disneyland Paris and saved the park. Not too long ago, Disney was betting huge on the success of Star Wars Galaxy Edge. It was a multi billion dollar investment and they thought it was going to be an instant success. Then the first land at Disneyland opened without its E Ticket and was a complete failure. It may also fail at DHS as well. Do you think that Disney could cancel some of its current projects like Galaxy’s Edge in Paris for example in order to cut the budget from the potential losses of the money from Galaxy’s Edge? Do you think that Star Wars ROTR could save these lands like how Space Mountain saved Euro Disney?
First-
At DL the pass holders have been blocked out for months (before GE opened) and will be released later and most of the people who go are pass holders and since they are blocked out the DLR is a bit of a ghost town. But it will be back when they get to come back alongside when RotR opens in January. I expect lots of people to go to DHS when GE opens as well and I bet even more when RotR opens there in December

Tank Man

First-
At DL the pass holders have been blocked out for months (before GE opened) and will be released later and most of the people who go are pass holders and since they are blocked out the DLR is a bit of a ghost town. But it will be back when they get to come back alongside when RotR opens in January. I expect lots of people to go to DHS when GE opens as well and I bet even more when RotR opens there in December
Also,
Euro Disney/ DLP failed because it was boycotted and it was amazing and now is back on its feet but it’s neighbor, WDS is struggling but will be back in its feet in about a decade with its major expansion coming with Marvel, Frozen and Star Wars.
GE is amazing and fans are loving it and it is not failing. I don’t want to say this but so many people have said the same and they know nothing about what is truly going on

fradz

Profitable for Disney, but not according to accounting.
Yeah, and why? Because you pay taxes based on your P&L. So you make your French branch pay 'royalties' to TWDC, and voila!
Also, Martin mentioned the park specifically. The big issue at opening was the resort was overbuilt for the one single theme park (7 hotels!)

C'mon guys, we've been over this "#ThanksParis, #ThanksShanghai," ...

DanielBB8

Yeah, and why? Because you pay taxes based on your P&L. So you make your French branch pay 'royalties' to TWDC, and voila!
Also, Martin mentioned the park specifically. The big issue at opening was the resort was overbuilt for the one single theme park (7 hotels!)

Yes we’ve been over this. The shareholders always gets reported a loss. That’s why Disney now owns it.

douglasrickard

Aw, so nice to see the lovely comments about DLP. WDSP looks like it'll be getting plenty of water and greenery, but with the allegedly leaked Spider-Man attraction concept art, it looks like Marvel will still be quite industrial-looking in the current area. I'm fine with that and it works, but from what I've seen of the barren-looking GE... I personally don't want it now in WDSP. I really don't think WDSP needs a big mis-step, and think even Pandora would be a safer investment for them, or preferably Tokyo's Fantasy Springs. I'm sure any super Star Wars fans of the new trilogy would probably make it to WDW or DL by the time GE is due to open in WDSP anyway.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Overbuilt hotels (Eisner gave a good sound bite over this)

Misjudged cultural differences (no hotel breakfast, barely no alcohol in park)

Assuming guests would spend big on merch

Opening during a European recession

And the biggest issue - the debt mountain taken on to build the resort as a whole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom