Is Expedition Everest's drop the same/worse than Splash Mountain's?

nimkip

Original Poster
I'm leaving for WDW in a few days and I've been debating as to whether to go on this ride or not. Fast speeds, spinning, hard turns, don't bother me in the slightest. However, drops mess me up but good. The last time I went on Splash Mountain I got off feeling miserable. That being said, I very much enjoy Big Thunder and Space Mountain. I've never been on RnR.

I took a look at an on ride video and several pictures; while the drop is longer, it doesn't look as steep to me, which I imagine is what counts. But hey, I don't know, that's why I'm asking. If the drop is the same or worse then Splash's, I'll have to pass.

Thanks.

LoriSue

Being a chicken myself, I do have to say that Everest is about the most that I would do. I think it's a bigger drop (in my opinion) but they have done an AMAZING job with this ride. I highly recommend taking the time to stand in line just once. They've really made a great effort with this queing area and it's worth the wait!

Piebald

DisneyrazZ said:
It is not as bad as Splash Mountain...We describe it as more then Big Thunder but less than Space Mountain...it is very fun :)

I'm gonna have to disagree seeing as how Splash Mountain is 53 feet (correct me if I'm wrong by the way peoples) and Everest is something around 80. Not the mention the fact that you go backwards. I don't think the drop is intense but it is a little more than Splash Mountain....I love big thrill rides and I'll admit I get off of EE a little dizzy everytime :wave:

It is more intense than Big Thunder but not less than Space Mountain..

WeLComeHomE OKW

even though the drop is larger at Expedition Everest you barely feel it, so I would have to say Splash Mountain is worse. without a doubt.

anyways, on Splash Mountain the drop is the climax of the ride while on Expedition Everest the climax is seeing the yeti. so on Splash Mountain, they build it up much more and the drop is much more scary cuz u stop at the top and then go.

But on Expedition Everest, the drop happens out of nowhere so its not as scary, the second time i rode it I didnt even notice the drop. but then again, i like rollercoasters. hope this helps! :wave: :wave:

angelfaerie52

On Splash, you more or less teeter over the edge. The speed is slow so it makes the drop feeling in your gut more.

On Everest, you are going very fast as you spill out over the edge. It is very smooth so I did not get the stomach dropping feeling I get on Splash. I would recommend sitting in the front, they'll have a seperate queue for front row because then you'd feel the main drop less. However, you then get to feel the backwards portion more. In all honesty, I was less scared in the back row, even though you have less of an idea of what's next to come... I'd say go for it. The drop is technically longer than Splash, but since you are going so quickly and then turning to go back into the mountain, there is not much to worry about... don't let the appearance intimidate you.

If you like high speed, you may actually prefer Rock n Roller Coaster. That ride has zero drops, just speed, turns, and a couple loops...

SirGoofy

Splash's drop is 100x worse than Everest's. Splash's is a straight plummet, where as EE's twists a bit, and does not feel like a huge drop. Besides Everest is the best ride at WDW, so you should definately ride it!:D

Eljay

nimkip said:
I'm leaving for WDW in a few days and I've been debating as to whether to go on this ride or not. Fast speeds, spinning, hard turns, don't bother me in the slightest. However, drops mess me up but good. The last time I went on Splash Mountain I got off feeling miserable. That being said, I very much enjoy Big Thunder and Space Mountain. I've never been on RnR.

I took a look at an on ride video and several pictures; while the drop is longer, it doesn't look as steep to me, which I imagine is what counts. But hey, I don't know, that's why I'm asking. If the drop is the same or worse then Splash's, I'll have to pass.

Thanks.

Being a drop wimp myself, I can relate to what you are asking.
I do ride and enjoy Splash, but I dread that last drop. I think it's the scary build up and the slow climb up the hill.

On the other hand, EE has a very different type of drop which I find I can tolerate much better. As WeLComeHomE OKW says, it happens out of nowhere, so you don't get a chance to be scared, then it's over in a split second. Also, the drop is curved, so it takes that falling sensation out of it. I got off of the ride with shaking knees and ran right back around to ride again! Try it! It's worth it just to see the Yeti.

You say you have never ridden R'nRC? Why in heavens name not??? It's ALL speed and hard turns, which you said you are okay with! No drops other than coming out of the loops, which don't feel at all like a drop.
For me, it's all about that sickening falling feeling which I never feel on R'nRC.

Have Fun!:)

darthjohnny

Everest is bigger, but you are going foward. Everest might not be as bad because it is not a striaght drop, you curve to the left as you drop, but as said before, Everest is 80ft. and Splash Mountain is only 50-something ft.

weluvtink

I have no idea-my eyes were closed for 3/4 of the ride. When I got off the ride my friend asked what I thought of the Yeti and my reaction was "what yeti?":lol:

Craig & Lisa

If it's a motion sickness issue, then I have a remedy, and it was proved on Mythbusters. An hour before you start to the parks take a gingerroot capsule. On the show one of them can get seasick looking at a boat on water, well he took it and did not have a problem at all, stay away from bonine, even alittle bit knocks you out. And dramamine takes forever to work. If it's a fear thing, well for me, I was sorta scared of the big coasters, untill I to the plunge so to speak, and rode Medusa at Six Flags in NJ. All the way up the ramp my heart was running at 150 or better, when the first drop started it was smooth and fast but the only thing I could say to myself was, "This is it?" after that I have had no problem with big coasters, which by the way EE is not one. But it is one fantastic ride!!!:D :D

Ariellen

Piebald said:
I'm gonna have to disagree seeing as how Splash Mountain is 53 feet (correct me if I'm wrong by the way peoples)

Extremely close! It's 52 feet. :wave: (You can read the 'story' of it near the Frontierland WDWRR station; the headline says something like "Guests Plunge 52 Feet into Briar Patch" and there's a story of how the mountain filled with water and all sorts of fun Disney touches.)

dxwwf3

Splash's drop is worse because of the angle. EE's drop is better in the back, but the visuals in the front can't be beat. And that is one of the great things about EE, it gives you different experiences depending on where you sit.

BCNHF

Hey, I've never been on splash mountain since my aunt didn't want to go on that, but we went on Jurrasic Park River Adventure and my question is, how is Splash Mountains drop compared to JPRA's?

Valawen9

I hate drops too, but I went on Everest a couple times and I was fine on it...yet to this day I refuse to ride Splash because of its drop. :lol: Everest's drop is bigger than Splash's so I dunno what my problem is lol.
I plan on overcoming that fear when I go back in October though! :D

dxwwf3

Valawen9 said:
I plan on overcoming that fear when I go back in October though! :D

Remember, you aren't planning to ride Splash Mountain, you WILL BE riding Splash Mountain :animwink:

Valawen9

dxwwf3 said:
Remember, you aren't planning to ride Splash Mountain, you WILL BE riding Splash Mountain :animwink:

:lol: Haha true. I don't think Jason will let me get away with not riding it. I pretty much don't have a choice. lol:D

dxwwf3

Valawen9 said:
:lol: Haha true. I don't think Jason will let me get away with not riding it. I pretty much don't have a choice. lol:D

Yeah and I think you'll like it so much, you'll want to get right back in line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom