Is DVC right for me?

slappy magoo

Original Poster
I've read some of the myriad threads about DVC, and I know that, for many people here, it's just shy of a godsend. Others don't see the value, since you don't actually own, and you're still shelling out hundreds of dollars or more each year in maintenance fees. So I'm not trying to add fuel to THAT fire one way or the other.

Basically, I think that, with enough points and if you often enough, DVC could very well rock. I'm just not sure it would rock for me.

My intent is that, every 3-4 years, I'd buy an annual pass. And in that year's time, I'd hit WDW 2 or 3 times. I'd then use the next few years to visit other vacation destinations (there are other vacation destinations? THe Devil you say!). And I'd take advantage of the AP discounts to get good rates on rooms. A regular time share in Orlando wouldn't be as good for me, because I would like to stay in Disney (proximity being more important than "the magic"), and because I know most time shares lock you into a specific time, and heaven forbid we don't get the time we'll usually need right away, and have to beg borrow or steal every year we want to go. I like the flexibility of the "point system," even if it means that we don't actually own anything. I was thinking of the DVC as "paying for vacations in advance" long before I found out that's how the DVC markets it in their sales pitch.

But if I'm only going every three years (albiet 2 or 3 times in that year), using AP discounts, but still having to pay the maintenance fees every year, is it really worth it? I figured out that the money spent on 150 points and the fees (minus the interest if I finance, which I'd probably have to) equals out to roughly $900 a year based on maintenance fees right now for 48 years (assuming I buy direct from DVC into the SSR). Plus admission to the parks. Plus I'd have to do this at least every three years to take advantage of banking and borrowing points

But, on the other hand, maintenance fees will go up, but I won't have to pay more on my initial purchase, unless I opt to buy more points. I can always rent out my points if I need to (or sell them outright), I can use them to go Hilton Head or Vero beach, etc. etc. Plus, I could always look at it as just a vacation destination that I already paid for (meaning I don't HAVE to go to the parks, but what are the odds of that happening? :lol: )

So, if I only intend to seriously hit WDW every 3 or 4 years, is getting into the DVC a wise investment-not in terms of real estate, but in terms of getting the most out of my vacation dollar?

And while I'm asking-according to the DVC FAQ at allearsnet.com, the points could be used towards staying at regular WDW resort hotels as well. This also holds interest for me. Any DVC member ever use their points to stay at a regular hotel, and how much do your points get you there?

As always, thanks for your time and attention.

Polyman

You do actually own. I own like 1% of building 26. Besides the fees, the annual statement lists the PROPERTY TAXES paid on the fraction of the building you own. And these taxes are deductible on your federal 1040, just like for your principle residence. You can't be charged property taxes if you don't own property.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
I should revise my statement, but I consider it "not owning" because, according to the allearsnet FAQ, there comes a time when your rights to the property revert back to Disney. You may techinally own it, but you won't/can't own it forever. So yes, you get tax breaks on it, and maybe you can will it to a loved one when you die, but there comes a time when all your rights to it are gone. I'm under the impression that, for most other time shares, once you buy in, you're in forever unless you forfeit by not paying dues or some similar situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom