Is Disney's Hollywood Studios discontinuing evening Extra Magic Hours?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not all of them were replaced...in fact, I would dare say less than half...which is still a lot of closures...and areas...that's far more closings than any of the other three parks in the last 6 years...

Millionaire replaced by TSM. Idol by Frozen sing along. Sounds Dangerous by Jedi film and Olaf M&G. Narnia replaced by Jack Sparrow replaced by Sorcerer Mickey M&G which was moved to a new spot and Minnie added. Animation Academy replaced by Launch Bay.

Citizens of Hollywood reduced but not gone. Other streetmosphere added: Green Army Men Boot Camp and temporarily, Doctor Strange.

M&Gs of Fineas, Cars, and Monsters replaced by Olaf, Chewie, Kylo, Jawas, Troopers, Minnie. Also, Mickey and pals were added to an evening dining experience.

Then, they added the Stormtroopers/Phasma Show of Force; SW Stage and Clip Show; and an evening SW projections/fireworks show. They even figured out how to reset the fireworks fast enough to have the Holiday projection/fireworks show in the same night as the SW show.

They also added a new venue: Sunset Showcase, but, I admit, that the occasional Club Villain and Dance Party is poor use of the new building.

What was not replaced was in what is now the construction zone: A ride - Backlot Tour; an attraction - LMA; one playground; one QS; and a few kiosks. The flex theater was hardly in use (it last hosted the temporary Frozen sing along before it moved to the Hyperion). The Streets of America were hardly in use (and the holiday lights were replaced by BAM!).

Every square inch of DHS which is outside the construction zone is still in use. There are no empty buildings or lots going unused. A ride, a show, a playground, and a QS being closed is not "half the park." All the other closures were replacements. And, on top of that, they added more shows.

mm121

You forgot October 1 - the birthday of Scrooge McDuck - A character near and dear to the heart ( if they have one) of every current Disney executive.

while not scrooge, i do wish they'd bring back some of the more classic characters

such as goofy, the chipmunks and a bunch of others, dont really get much attention

bringing in not seen characters while i'd love them to do it for free we all know that will never happen so at least that would be them putting effort into an upcharge event rather than just upcharging something without actually improving it

RSoxNo1

It sucks that they're potentially cutting these things, and it's why I don't stay on property anymore. The perks are significantly reduced relative to Universal's top 3 hotels.

Having said that, I could see them dropping EMH from Hollywood Studios as a way to further push guests to the Animal Kingdom this summer. If EMH ultimately stays long term (there have been rumors of a full removal), I would think they'd add it back for Star Wars.

MarkTwain

I was just flipping through the WDW calendar last week and it seemed to me that the 2-hour evening EMH were becoming less and less common in future months, instead being replaced by more 1-hour morning EMH. Anyone else notice that, or was it just my imagination?

I wonder if they're trying to switch to having morning EMH more often since it's an hour shorter, which would cut operational costs while still technically letting them advertise EMH as a resort perk.

Jon81uk

You also forgot American Idol, Sounds Dangerous, The Animation Studio Tour and several others...it's actually quite the list of stuff...I chose to name major attractions...here's a list... enjoy y'all...

https://touringplans.com/hollywood-studios/attractions/closing-dates?v=1v&utm_expid=113067442-234.gA8F7SXIQyOMfT-E3kC5Qg.1&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

Half-a-park indeed.

All of those have been replaced. Frozen and Star Tours. And Sounds Dangerous was seasonal or closed completely eight years ago.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Just us - we wouldn't bother with EMH in a construction zone anyway :). Not a park... it's a construction zone. WDW would have been better off shutting the thing down, then going full tilt on the rebuild.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Animaniac93-98

(there have been rumors of a full removal)

First they removed DAK evening EMH. Then they shortened them all from 3 hours to 2. Now they might be removing evening EMH from DHS.

The writtings on the wall, but it's also unlikely that we'd be getting longer park hours for everyone outside of DAK.

Disney probably also knows that this is not a perk they can remove overnight. The cut would be too obvious, and a backlash from regular guests (not just fans) would be almost certain. So instead we'll probably get the piecemeal approach along with more extra pay alternatives.

Last edited:

21stamps

I was just flipping through the WDW calendar last week and it seemed to me that the 2-hour evening EMH were becoming less and less common in future months, instead being replaced by more 1-hour morning EMH. Anyone else notice that, or was it just my imagination?

I wonder if they're trying to switch to having morning EMH more often since it's an hour shorter, which would cut operational costs while still technically letting them advertise EMH as a resort perk.

I was there 9 nights and I think (stress- not positive) that there was 1 each of night and morning EMH for MK, HS, and Epcot during that time.

21stamps

And you are correct.
Ok wasn't positive.lol. The only one we did was MK evening. That was til 1am on 11/30/16. I don't remember what normal park hours were that day.

ETA- just checked my notes in my phone. I have park hours til 10pm. 3 hour EMH.
So maybe at least MK does 3 hour ones? Epcot and HS did not, during our week anyway

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

It sucks that they're potentially cutting these things, and it's why I don't stay on property anymore. The perks are significantly reduced relative to Universal's top 3 hotels.

Having said that, I could see them dropping EMH from Hollywood Studios as a way to further push guests to the Animal Kingdom this summer. If EMH ultimately stays long term (there have been rumors of a full removal), I would think they'd add it back for Star Wars.
I can see them adding hard ticket Star Wars events like MNSSHP and MVMCP and I would pay the money to attend it. Hopefully it just temporary and they don't get rid of EMH all together.

drizgirl

Ok wasn't positive.lol. The only one we did was MK evening. That was til 1am on 11/30/16. I don't remember what normal park hours were that day.

ETA- just checked my notes in my phone. I have park hours til 10pm. 3 hour EMH.
So maybe at least MK does 3 hour ones? Epcot and HS did not, during our week anyway

No, they don't.

21stamps

No, they don't.
How are you certain of that? They just did it 2 months ago...I have no idea if it was done again in December or not. MK EMH was extended from 2 to 3 hours maybe a month prior to my trip. We're in January heading in to February now, so there may not be a need for it based on current crowd levels. Did I miss an announcement stating that they won't happen again?

Tony the Tigger

They seem to have run their course. It's no longer so much a benefit in any park. The lines are long, many things are closed. What's the point?

My guess is: Look for more upcharge events that promise the exclusivity and low crowds once promised by extra magic hours.

I am Timmy

In general you have to go two nights.

I don't know specific timings but for example they have had Fantasmic at 8pm and fireworks at 8:15, F! is a 17 minutes show so not possible to do both. Or fireworks at 7:15 and Fantasmic at 7:30, so although it looks possible, you won't get in and seated at F! in time.
They deliberately want you to spend an extra evening at DHS not MK.
Thank you for such a detailed response! I wasn't sure about the timing or the length of each, so knowing this will make planning much easier. And very clever of Disney, if seeing both is important to families, to make sure they have to come back twice to see them.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Pretty much this. If they CAN get money for something the general trend has been TO get money for something.

This will be extremely interesting to watch play out. Something similar happened in my city recently when a grocery store began charging a $1 service fee for the use of a shopping cart (tacked on upon checkout). Everyone was so accustomed to getting it free that discovering it now had a fee attached really caused some interesting discussions on pricing elasticity.

Wha??? :eek:

Don't they know convenient bigger basket = bigger sales? Unless they're trying to get every customer to directly pay for cart loss. Sure hope they post something at the entrance to the store....

*shakes head*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom