Is Disney's Hollywood Studios discontinuing evening Extra Magic Hours?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No attractions that operated during EMH have been affected by the construction being done at SWL and TSL. So the whole construction thing is not an excuse.

This is a cut pure and simple. Just like MSEP not being replaced. This is the new norm for the WDW parks. But hey you have your private cabanas, year round drunkeytown festivals at Epcot and $250/hour shopping assistants at Disney Springs to keep you entertained. Oh and of course the hard-ticket upcharge events that will be introduced soon.

Sounds like a fun time to go right 21?
A fun time to go somewhere else....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
FWIW, I started looking at hours in March and April for my upcoming trip and there are no evening EMH listed for Epcot either.. Maybe this just happens to be the (unlucky) schedule for when I'll be there, but I'm going for 8 days which seems like a long enough period for an evening EMH slot to show up at least once.

Definitely hope this isn't the case! I used to love just walking around WS after park close and taking it all in with little/no crowds...
Epcot has evening EMH in March and April

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I know they'll use the extra time to perform maintenance and clean the park...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................HA!

BrerJon

Expect a lot more evening upcharge events. My guess is they look at Mickey's Not So Scary and see the ridiculous amount of money it makes, they look at the ever longer running festivals at Epcot...

What if they abandon EMH at DHS but replace it with a once or twice a week hard ticketed Star Wars night that runs year round - Star Wars Weekends without the actor panels, basically - that would mean moolah by the truckload for them.

If they made the tickets free or heavily discounted to anyone staying in a Moderate or above, and they'll soon recoup any hotel loss from EMH going away.

gdrj

Considering there 1/2 the park is closed, and there only so many times you can watch Darth Vader on stage, maybe just close the whole park for the next 18 months (maybe a bit of an overreach to make a sarcastic point).

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
:joyfull: :joyfull: :joyfull: :joyfull: :joyfull: :joyfull:

Oh wait.... you were serious.........:confused:
Yes. They'd rather fill more rooms at a lower rate, if need be, because if you stay on site, you buy more food and alcohol from Disney. Of course, rack rates won't go down -- there will just be bigger and more frequent discounts. But I don't think that will happen, because I don't think occupancy will lag. Even if EMH is cut back, Avatar, TSL, SWL, MK 50th, etc will drawhem in for next few years.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Expect a lot more evening upcharge events. My guess is they look at Mickey's Not So Scary and see the ridiculous amount of money it makes, they look at the ever longer running festivals at Epcot...

What if they abandon EMH at DHS but replace it with a once or twice a week hard ticketed Star Wars night that runs year round - Star Wars Weekends without the actor panels, basically - that would mean moolah by the truckload for them.

If they made the tickets free or heavily discounted to anyone staying in a Moderate or above, and they'll soon recoup any hotel loss from EMH going away.
So after SW is complete, they can offer "Micky's Not So Scary Destruction of Alderaan."

I heard a while back they were closing the Indiana Jones show but it would make sense now to not because of the new movie. With Indiana Jones and Star Wars might as well rename the park Harrison Ford land.

mm121

at the MK they could definitely add upcharge events for other holidays

valentines day
st patricks day
easter
4th of july
(not sure of any holidays between july and october)
halloween
christmas

I am Timmy

To be fair, with the Star Wars fireworks, the park now closes 60-90 minutes later every night than it would without.
But aren't they still running Fantasmic as well? Is there time between shows to do both, or does one need go go two different nights to catch them both? I've noticed quite a few people ask this question on the Disney's Mom board.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
"I don't see what the big deal is.lol Are you going to let this ruin your vacation? I have never even used EMH at Hollywood Studios. It just doesn't conform to my touring style. On my last trip, we spent the least amount of time at DHS, so it's ok if they aren't open as much. Doesn't really effect anyone.lol Instead of spending a night at DHS, just pay a little more for a park hopper and jump over to another park at the end of the day. That's what we would do, but I always have a park hopper or an AP, so.lol"
:cautious:

Bandini

"I don't see what the big deal is.lol Are you going to let this ruin your vacation? I have never even used EMH at Hollywood Studios. It just doesn't conform to my touring style. On my last trip, we spent the least amount of time at DHS, so it's ok if they aren't open as much. Doesn't really effect anyone.lol Instead of spending a night at DHS, just pay a little more for a park hopper and jump over to another park at the end of the day. That's what we would do, but I always have a park hopper or an AP, so.lol"
:cautious:
Yup, it doesn't effect me , so what's the big deal? Disney is a business you know! :rolleyes:

Jon81uk

Maybe it's something to do with the amount of rides shut or areas in construction? I imagine once SWL/TSL open they will bring Extra Magic Hours back.

I don't think the two attractions that have shut were even open for Extra Magic Hours. Lights Motors Action definately didnt have EMH showtimes and I'm not sure if backlot tour opened for EMH either, also it closed at least a year before the rest of Streets of America.

Therefore I don't think attractions closed has any effect on this decision.
The park has always not had enough rides and too many shows, as it was designed with a two hour (or more) backlot tour, that was no longer relevant when actual filming stopped. The park needs a complete overhaul, but the issues started ten years ago, not two.

Jon81uk

But aren't they still running Fantasmic as well? Is there time between shows to do both, or does one need go go two different nights to catch them both? I've noticed quite a few people ask this question on the Disney's Mom board.

In general you have to go two nights.

I don't know specific timings but for example they have had Fantasmic at 8pm and fireworks at 8:15, F! is a 17 minutes show so not possible to do both. Or fireworks at 7:15 and Fantasmic at 7:30, so although it looks possible, you won't get in and seated at F! in time.
They deliberately want you to spend an extra evening at DHS not MK.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
FWIW, I started looking at hours in March and April for my upcoming trip and there are no evening EMH listed for Epcot either.. Maybe this just happens to be the (unlucky) schedule for when I'll be there, but I'm going for 8 days which seems like a long enough period for an evening EMH slot to show up at least once.

Definitely hope this isn't the case! I used to love just walking around WS after park close and taking it all in with little/no crowds...
Epcot evening EMH scheduled once a week in March and April. Mostly Tuesdays, but one week it's Thursday and one week Sunday instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom