Is Disneyland Paris better than the parks at WDW?

SirWillow

For me though there are 2 others issues. It’s much better value going to Orlando. It’s pricier, but if you’re into parks, you’re getting 6 vs 2, and a much better entertainment district. It feels like prices have risen considerably since the Americans took over. There’s also the Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Legoland, Fun Spot consideration.

I think that this greatly depends on where you're coming from. Last Feb coming from the US, DLP was MUCH cheaper than WDW is. We picked up AP's for about $200, as opposed to over $800 in the US. 3 days in the parks covered that pretty easily.

Even with the increases, the parks in the US have gone up just as much, if not more. Admissions and costs to visit DLP are drastically lower that what it costs in the US. Unless you're getting some fantastic deals, which I've heard they tend offer some to the UK that are much better than what those of us in the states that want to visit WDW can get.

Isramom

I've been to DLP with my kids. It's pretty, clean and pleasant. It's compact so as to feel kind of small. The upside to that is all the hotels and Disney Village all within walking distance or a short bus ride away.

We used a few French words that we picked up and people responded kindly.

I see DLP as a really fun, manageable place to bring young kids.

My next planned trip is to WDW because I want to experience Disney parks in the big way. I get the impression that Americans make a much bigger deal over everything Disney, especially adults. Comparing will be interesting.

UpAllNight

I think that this greatly depends on where you're coming from. Last Feb coming from the US, DLP was MUCH cheaper than WDW is. We picked up AP's for about $200, as opposed to over $800 in the US. 3 days in the parks covered that pretty easily.

Even with the increases, the parks in the US have gone up just as much, if not more. Admissions and costs to visit DLP are drastically lower that what it costs in the US. Unless you're getting some fantastic deals, which I've heard they tend offer some to the UK that are much better than what those of us in the states that want to visit WDW can get.

That’s fair....I’m always shocked by the price Americans pay compared the deals we get in the UK. We typically get 14 days for the price of 7, and the price of that is lower than what you pay for less days.

Some comparisons for you. Adult 14 day Disney ticket, including memory maker for 2020 - $534.

3 nights in Newport Beach Hotel in Paris, including Eurostar and Tickets, for 2 people - $1340 Total ($446 a night)

16 Nights Cabana Bay Universal, with upgraded pool view, including Flights, 14 day Disney Tickets, 14 day Universal & 14 day Seaworld/Busch, for 2 people $5241 Total ($327 a night)

Obviously current exchange rates play a role and they’re not favourable for us at the moment. But the Orlando one above offers access to a lot more parks, for a better price. Take off Universal and Seaworld and the difference is even bigger.

Last edited:

HongKongFu

Who cares what it is made out of? As long as it looks good and will stand the test of time, that's all that matters.

Brick/paver instead of asphalt .....what's the difference. Does it really matter? You can walk on both.

Bentley over a Yugo or Chevy Sprint.......I just don't understand; I mean they'll both get you from A to B, right?

butterxcup

I find it funny how many people have commented how rude some of the people can be in the Paris parks/Paris but to me they were some of the nicest people I ever had the pleasure of interacting with! I always tried to start my interactions with a French greeting before switching to English and never had any problems.
The only bad experience I had with a worker was actually in the Starbucks directly outside of the parks. It was almost 11pm and I just wanted a tea before heading back to my hotel room and it took them over 15 min just to pour hot water in a cup and give it to me (I was one of 4 people in there and 2 were already seated and the other was served 5 min into my wait). Other than that, I had really good interactions with everyone else.
Maybe because I went in the Spring everyone was in a better mood or something? :p

As for the parks, they are lovely and their Thunder Mountain is the best version of all the other ones around the world imo. The Studios park might be more under construction though now then when I went back in May.
Only negatives for me had to be they do seem a bit empty while walking around here and there, the quick service options are pretty sad (not that it’s BAD food, just lacking in options if you’re not in the mood for a burger or fries), and smoking is more prevalent in Europe so sometimes you have guests lighting up wherever they feel (I should say though I didn’t find it to be as bad as others have made it out to be).

I say if you have the chance to go, do it!

SirWillow

3 nights in Newport Beach Hotel in Paris, including Eurostar and Tickets, for 2 people - $1340 Total ($446 a night)

16 Nights Cabana Bay Universal, with upgraded pool view, including Flights, 14 day Disney Tickets, 14 day Universal & 14 day Seaworld/Busch, for 2 people $5241 Total ($327 a night)

Yeah, that's a great deal. Even with working hard at finding the deal, I don't think those of us in the states could get an "on property" hotel stay like that for that rate for 2 people, unless maybe at one of the Disney "budget" hotels, and only Disney tickets.

Add in that it's at one of the nicer hotels, and includes 14 day tickets for all 3 (which honestly just the tickets would run almost that, maybe more when thinking about 2 people with 3 parks. I don't think it's a deal that we could find here in the US.

I find it funny how many people have commented how rude some of the people can be in the Paris parks/Paris but to me they were some of the nicest people I ever had the pleasure of interacting with! I always tried to start my interactions with a French greeting before switching to English and never had any problems.

That was exactly my experience. Just a simple "bonjour" as a friendly greeting and I had lot of wonderful, friendly interactions. It was funny because a couple of them would then turn to others who hadn't greeted them and were a bit on the short side, and then would turn to me and continue our long conversations.

Learn a few phrases, show appreciation for the culture, and people will be friendly. Just like we appreciate it when they try to learn English to visit the US.

Qscout

I don't really like to compare the two, although they do follow the disney castle park model, they have a completely different feel. Magic Kingdom takes the masses who just want to go as quick as possible from attraction to attraction. Paris, has lots of subtle design features that are just a marvel.

We go to Orlando every couple of years, it just epitomises the magic of Disney, and we have an absolute ball, but it is expensive going from the UK. As a result we go to Paris as a quick disney fix in between times.

Obviously there isn't as much to do there, and in reality 2/3 days is more than enough, compared to what you can do in WDW, however we go for 4/5 days, take it easy, have relaxed days in the park, enjoy the atmosphere, a few bars, and the hotels are so close to the parks that you can just nip back for a nap or quiet drink in the hotel.

We have never had an issue with the cast members in Paris, always been polite and helpful, the same can't be said for other park patrons, but then you can experience that in WDW as well.

The big difference for us is the food. The options and variety in Paris just isn't there. The quick serve are all very similar, waaaay over priced. There is very little for alternative diets, vegetarian, vegan, or anyone with allergies. This is where WDW has got it right and is getting better. Disneyland Paris if they could sort out their menus and offer more choice and alternatives it would be great.

And Finally . . . . .

The planning and customer care before a trip could be improved, being able to reserve dining or tours online or via the app would be great, having to phone an international number and be on hold for ages in today's modern society doesn't really cut it.

Mickeyboof

Brick/paver instead of asphalt .....what's the difference. Does it really matter? You can walk on both.

Bentley over a Yugo or Chevy Sprint.......I just don't understand; I mean they'll both get you from A to B, right?

Yeah you’re right! The Magic Kingdom Main Street asphalt is just gorgeous to walk on!!

Mickeyboof

If you care about quality, craftsmanship, details, discovery and exploration then Disneyland Paris is for you.

If you think its just walls and a ground is just the ground, Disney World is the place to be! Easy as that.

For those that have an eye for beauty, I highly recommend The Season Pass interviews with Tony Baxter, as he recalls the creative process of crafting Disneyland Paris. The passion and care of this gem of a park is touching.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I was being facetious.

Brick pavers like we see in Paris and Hong Kong should be in every castle park.

Each magic kingdom park should have some variations. I love the bricks in HKDL and DLP (it almost acts like a red carpet) but those two magic kingdoms also have plain concrete sidewalks. Whereas the original Disneyland has beautiful brick sidewalks as well as brick pavers going down the center of Main Street.

I never noticed until semi recently that The Magic Kingdom in Florida didn’t have brick sidewalks, now I can’t help but notice it!

Stellajack

Premium Member
I have never been to Paris, my son when he was in high school his class took a trip to Paris and his only comment was the people of Paris were the most nasty people and he would never go back. Have others found this of Parisians? They went on to Barcelona and loved it.
We have been to Paris on two occasions for several days. We were told that if tourists make the effort to speak to a Parisian first, even if only "bonjour", their attitude is friendlier. We found this to be true. They do not insist that one speak the language, but attempts to communicate in French makes a big impression. I love Paris!

the-reason14

Disneyland Paris is a very beautiful park. Without a doubt I would say it is the most beautiful castle park out of all of them. The attraction count is limited compared to the original Disneyland and even the Magic Kingdom but I will say if you can go you should definitely not pass up the opportunity. I love how pretty much every land has it’s own walk through attraction such as the dragon in the castle, the fort in Frontierland, pirate island in Adventureland. It is a spacious park, and their versions of Haunted Mansion(Phantom Manor) and Pirates are really nice and different. I wouldn’t pick Disneyland Paris resort over WDW but I would definitely pic Disneyland Paris with Paris not being very far over WDW and Orlando. The Walt Disney Studios park however is the worse Disney park I have ever been to, but still deserves a look because of a few gems they have there. Ratouille being the top one.

Donald Razorduck

I was told to skip DLP on our six week Euro adventure this past summer. I'm glad we didn't. Only had a day to do both parks but we got most of everything in including several rerides. Most of their Toy Story gland was down. We loved their Frontierland and their version of Big Thunder. Indy was as horrible as promised but wow what theming for a crap coaster. Much better than oh say Goofy's Flying. Loved the labyrinth and the dragon. Nice touches. We stayed at Nature Villages, will not touch foot into their WDW project, will always spring for Wilderness Lodge, our Favorite.

European1992

Original Poster
I was told to skip DLP on our six week Euro adventure this past summer. I'm glad we didn't. Only had a day to do both parks but we got most of everything in including several rerides. Most of their Toy Story gland was down. We loved their Frontierland and their version of Big Thunder. Indy was as horrible as promised but wow what theming for a crap coaster. Much better than oh say Goofy's Flying. Loved the labyrinth and the dragon. Nice touches. We stayed at Nature Villages, will not touch foot into their WDW project, will always spring for Wilderness Lodge, our Favorite.
Many people who went a couple of years ago were left with a sour taste in their mouths. Thankfully, the park has only been improving as of late. 😌

Last edited:

Stefan8

It depends on what exactly you're comparing.

Resort vs Resort: Walt Disney World is in a league of its own. Which is why I prefer visiting Orlando. There is more to see, do, eat, and to me it feels like a more complete vacation destination. Florida weather also plays its part in that. With Studios, DLP has the weakest Disney park out of all parks around the globe.

Castle park vs Castle park: DLP is beautiful, especially after receiving so much work in recent years. This is also the park I went to as a child, so there's a lot of nostalgia to be found here. I do find the selection of rides at Magic Kingdom to be better (Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room), but I also love DLP's smaller Fantasyland attractions (Pinocchio and Snow White).

Overall, I find WDW Resort to be "better", but DLP Resort has a beautiful castle park that is worth a visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom