Is Disneyland Paris better than the parks at WDW?

European1992

Original Poster
For the people who have been to both, how would you compare them?

355426.jpg

UKDisney Dave

I would say Paris looks stunning in the sunshine! Far more elegant than WDW.

However Paris suffers from grey skies a lot of the time, which takes the shine off things!

I also find the Paris park to have a lot of empty space, and it seems the walk between attractions feels both longer and emptier. May not be technically true, but that’s the feeling I always get. That may also be to do with the fact I often go out of season with lots of shops/restaurants shuttered, and whole sections of pathway without any other guest on them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The park is stunning. Easily the most detailed, lavish and picturesque castle park I’ve been to.

If it were rounded off with a few more attractions it’d beat Disneyland as an experience. MMRR will help a lot, the Indy pad would push it even higher, another small dark ride in Fantasyland and proper use of the Discoveryland theatre would be the icing on the cake.

One thing it would still need though would be the ubiquitous theatre attraction. We took first timers to Paris this year who’ve been to Orlando. They loved it, but did question the lack of a Tiki Room. Or CBJ. Or HoP. Or CoP.

DoleWhipDrea

Maintained, it would be visually the most beautiful of the classic Disney theme park design. The castle in itself is an incredible attraction.

But (last I was there) the upkeep was poor, and it made the park not as great as it could be. The potential is there, but it needs the TLC to get there. It doesn’t have the amount of attractions that one that’s been to the US parks would hope to see. And there’s some nasty sewage stink throughout the park. And the food is generally pretty sad, which surprised me given the location.

If you get the chance, definitely go! There’s a lot to love at Disneyland Paris. But after visiting, I understood why my family from France hated on the Disney Parks so much. Be prepared...it was a bit of a shock when I went, and it made me sad for what the park could be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maintained, it would be visually the most beautiful of the classic Disney theme park design. The castle in itself is an incredible attraction.

But (last I was there) the upkeep was poor, and it made the park not as great as it could be. The potential is there, but it needs the TLC to get there. It doesn’t have the amount of attractions that one that’s been to the US parks would hope to see. And there’s some nasty sewage stink throughout the park. And the food is generally pretty sad, which surprised me given the location.

If you get the chance, definitely go! There’s a lot to love at Disneyland Paris. But after visiting, I understood why my family from France hated on the Disney Parks so much. Be prepared...it was a bit of a shock when I went, and it made me sad for what the park could be.
When did you last go? We were so surprised at how upkeep and maintenance had improved this year we’re returning next year.

And you know how picky I can be.

Last edited:

Andrew Appleby

I think it has the potential to outdo WDW and as it's now owned by Disney it could well get there. Aspects are amazing like the castle, the dragon amongst others but what mainly lets it down are the cast members.

Jon81uk

While the castle park is beautiful, I find a trip to Orlando better value, the flights from the UK to Florida can be very reasonable prices and accommodation prices between Paris and WDW are quite comparable so I would rather do 2 weeks at the various Orlando parks (Disney/Uni/Seaworld/Busch) instead of three days at Paris.

I have really enjoyed Disneyland Paris and I love the Pirate Island instead of Tom Sawyers, as you can just explore a little on the way to other attractions. I also loved Cinemagique at the studios park, it was an excellant film that manged to be do dual language well and conveyed a similar feel to the Great Movie Ride, but in a film/show.

Otamin

A great and beautiful park, but it desperately needs more attractions.

A lot of the park just feels bare unfortunately.

The past couple of times I've gone I have longed for a Splash Mountain type ride.

John park hopper

I have never been to Paris, my son when he was in high school his class took a trip to Paris and his only comment was the people of Paris were the most nasty people and he would never go back. Have others found this of Parisians? They went on to Barcelona and loved it.

Jon81uk

The past couple of times I've gone I have longed for a Splash Mountain type ride.

I can see why they haven't added a water ride though, the climate of northern Europe isn't always the best for them. I'd rather use the same space for something without the drop and splash.

aris and his only comment was the people of Paris were the most nasty people and he would never go back. Have others found this of Parisians?
French people in general don't seem to like people who don't speak French, I've heard Montreal can be as bad as Paris for this.

SirWillow

Oh my goodness, Disneyland Paris may be the most beautiful park I've ever been too. It was amazing.
Marni really gives a good summary- it could use a couple more attractions, but I loved the wide open spaces, the places to wander and feel like you were lost in another place and time... and it has the largest and best done Frontierland of any of the parks. :)

Studios is small, but that will be fixed within a couple of years when the new areas open. And I really liked their Disney Village (Downtown Disney/ Disney Springs) which was close and easy to access.

Honestly, the only complaint I had during my visit last year was that the counter service places in the park closed at 6pm, so it was hard to get food in the park in the evening. But Disney Village was an easy walk to take care of that.

I would take Disneyland Paris over any 2 or 3 WDW parks. All 4 it's a tougher choice.

@DoleWhipDrea I'm guessing that it's been more than 3 years since you were there? Since Disney has taken over full ownership the upkeep has come way up. I honestly didn't see anything that looked run down, neglected, or needing attention. They were only running one paddlewheel- the Mark Twain i believe was getting a needed overhaul. But it's nowhere near what it was like a few years ago- much improved.

Thebolt

Paris Magic Kingdom is better than Orlando.... better layout, better versions of rides etc.
The layout of the resort, with hotels and the 2nd gate, all within walking distance is also much better than WDW, and having an international train line in the middle, with an airport transfer of 10 minutes is amazing.

However, everything else at the resort is worse than WDW. There are only 1.5 gates, vs. 4 full parks +2 waterparks. The village has no sense of destination, wheras Disney Springs is almost a gate in itself.
At the moment, resort wise WDW wins, MK park wise, Paris. In 5 years it looks like it may be a much closer call resort wise.

Jon81uk

I'm guessing that it's been more than 3 years since you were there? Since Disney has taken over full ownership the upkeep has come way up. I honestly didn't see anything that looked run down, neglected, or needing attention. They were only running one paddlewheel- the Mark Twain i believe was getting a needed overhaul. But it's nowhere near what it was like a few years ago- much improved.

I think even before the ownership changes and financial restructure, they invested heavily to refurbish the park ready for the 25th anniversay, as they realised it was looking worn out.

SirWillow

Paris Magic Kingdom is better than Orlando.... better layout, better versions of rides etc.
The layout of the resort, with hotels and the 2nd gate, all within walking distance is also much better than WDW, and having an international train line in the middle, with an airport transfer of 10 minutes is amazing.

However, everything else at the resort is worse than WDW. There are only 1.5 gates, vs. 4 full parks +2 waterparks. The village has no sense of destination, wheras Disney Springs is almost a gate in itself.
At the moment, resort wise WDW wins, MK park wise, Paris. In 5 years it looks like it may be a much closer call resort wise.

Ahh, but you also mention something else that DL Paris offers that Orlando can't come close to matching- easy access by train to the grand city of Paris itself and all that it has to offer! That part was amazing. :)

John park hopper

I can see why they haven't added a water ride though, the climate of northern Europe isn't always the best for them. I'd rather use the same space for something without the drop and splash.

French people in general don't seem to like people who don't speak French, I've heard Montreal can be as bad as Paris for this.
Must be hard for them to accept all those tourist dollars/euros from non speaking french

duder

I didnt visit the studios, as I only had a day, but here were my impressions.

After visiting last year, the best way I could describe Disneyland Paris is that it really puts the 'park' in theme park. The incredible details plus the relatively sparse attraction lineup really lends itself to slowing down and soaking in the atmosphere and details.

I knew going in that it didnt have as many attractions, but I still attacked the park like i was conditioned to take on DL and MK. This was a mistake and I cant wait to return next year to adjust my pacing.

Each land is focused on building up to one or two attractions, and as a result, it is the most cohesive castle park in the world. I cant say it offers as much "fun" as you may find in Anaheim, Orlando, or Tokyo, but if you are looking for a place that transports you to another place, there is no park better, imo.

Is it better than Orlando? Castle Park vs. Castle Park, I would say yes. Entire resort, I would say no, as WDW just has too much volume.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom