Is Disney World too expensive?

Is Disny World too expensive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that it is definitely an expensive vacation...It is kind of ironic, but my husband and I are the only ones in our group of friends without children, but we are the only ones with any plans to go to Disney in the near future. None of our friends with young children have that much disposable income...most just camp in northern Michigan.

For me, I have no problem paying for on site hotels as I think they are worth it for the convenience. However, my husband has a panic attack every time he sees the prices, so I am just saving my bonuses for our Disney trip and I plan to just surprise him and have a package trip payed for and set before we go so that he won't have the big one : )

Personally the item that I have the biggest problem with price on is soda...I live on diet coke, and I hate the markup on that. If they could get rid of that, I think I would find their prices much more reasonable.

scheat

Depends,

If you have to put it on an interest accruing credit card and it takes more than 2 cycles to pay off, then it was probably too expensive for you at THAT TIME.

If you saved for it and paid cash, cool.

If money is not even a consideration when you plan your trip, call me.

disneygirl1

I agree that a trip to WDW is expensive, but honestly it would end up costing me about the same amount to go to the Jersey shore for the week! A totally believe that the most it cost for a trip to WDW is well worth it!!!!!

I agree that a trip to WDW is expensive, but honestly it would end up costing me about the same amount to go to the Jersey shore for the week! A totally believe that the most it cost for a trip to WDW is well worth it!!!!!

You can say that again, I would never stay a week down the shore just because I know I can book a trip to Disney for just as much and you get A LOT outta Disney then you would the shore.

CaptainJackNO

This is, I think, a loaded question. Let me explain. Okay, I feel, first, that the cost of the theme park tickets are fair. I do. Given the value of entertainment for the amoutn spent, I do feel the cost worth it. Now, the hotels, I feel, at least in the value range, are very fair; however, moderate prices are anything but moderate. They are high. I say this after making reservations for a week at Caribbean Beach the other day..lol. Then, when you jump to deluxe, as my friends from Jersey would say, fugeddaboutit. The food, is very expensive, all around. I live in new orleans, arguably the food capital of the world, the real world that is. There is no comparison to the cost of food here to WDW. For the price, the food at wdw aint that great. (pardon the colloguialism.) So, Overall, WDW is an expensive place to go, although i go about every year and half. My family just loves it!!!

Here's the loaded, and controversial, part. I believe that it is necessary for these parks to charge a certain amount to (god help me) ensure that a certain element of people not enter. By this, i mean gang bangers and troublemakers. I have been "fortunate" enough to enjoy theme parks across the southeast that charge "more reasonable" prices. WHat i saw there was a large collection of teens covered in tattoos all dressed the same stalking the theme parks. This would mean financial ruin for Disney. Therefore, while I feel WDW is expensive, I believe this is necessary to some degree. In order to maintain the magic and keep that family feeling across the property, there are some potential guests, as mentioned above, that should be kept out of the WDW price range. Now, i understand that there are many families, good families, that are proced out of the magic. Unfortunately, I do not see any other option. More importantly, can you all just imagine how much fuel for bus transportation must cost alone? Ya'll know how we complain if we see a "drop in quality." I just think it is a necessary evil.:shrug:

Duckberg

Family IMAGE

YES, I agree that the cost high cost of tickets can help keep the undesirable element OUT of WDW Duckberg :cool:

Animaniac93-98

Annual Pass discounts and Tables in Wonderland during Value season can help to save money.

I personally, would never pay rack rate at any WDW hotel if I were going. I would use some kind of discount shown on Mousesavers for sure.

Food is alot but that's par for Amusement/Theme Parks. Canada's Wonderland charges $12+tax for a combo meal and even with the 15% off discount I get that's still pricey and the quality is the same for fast food. Merchandise is the same.

I got a season pass at Wonderland for $70 (bought with 3 other people so I saved $10) which gets you some 105 days of admission along with smaller perks. That pass is less expensive that a single day ticket at Disney but it's not a good comparison. The amount of dollar per day of a 10 day ticket or annual pass is certainly a much better value and since you're not there for a single day I don't think it's too bad, but it's gone up quite a bit since earlier this decade, and that's when you didn't pay for a no expiry or park hopper option. That's my real complaint.

Mickey&Minnie

We always look for great deals that are offered so we get a good discount and I realize that others schedules aren't as flexible as ours but it works out for us. And when we started looking at other places that we wanted to go they were more expensive than Disney and atleast when we go to Disney we know we are going to have fun and we get to stay longer.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Here's the loaded, and controversial, part. I believe that it is necessary for these parks to charge a certain amount to (god help me) ensure that a certain element of people not enter. By this, i mean gang bangers and troublemakers. I have been "fortunate" enough to enjoy theme parks across the southeast that charge "more reasonable" prices. WHat i saw there was a large collection of teens covered in tattoos all dressed the same stalking the theme parks. This would mean financial ruin for Disney. Therefore, while I feel WDW is expensive, I believe this is necessary to some degree. In order to maintain the magic and keep that family feeling across the property, there are some potential guests, as mentioned above, that should be kept out of the WDW price range. Now, i understand that there are many families, good families, that are proced out of the magic. Unfortunately, I do not see any other option. More importantly, can you all just imagine how much fuel for bus transportation must cost alone? Ya'll know how we complain if we see a "drop in quality." I just think it is a necessary evil.:shrug:

Very interesting point, and one I personally never considered, but for the most part, I think I do have to agree with this assumption. Disneyland I hear does get some local gang members now and then with it being located in the city itself and not hidden and remote like Disney World.

Does Disney keep the prices high enough to keep malcontents out?

That is a damn good question.

Disney05

Here's the loaded, and controversial, part. I believe that it is necessary for these parks to charge a certain amount to (god help me) ensure that a certain element of people not enter. By this, i mean gang bangers and troublemakers. I have been "fortunate" enough to enjoy theme parks across the southeast that charge "more reasonable" prices. WHat i saw there was a large collection of teens covered in tattoos all dressed the same stalking the theme parks. This would mean financial ruin for Disney. Therefore, while I feel WDW is expensive, I believe this is necessary to some degree. In order to maintain the magic and keep that family feeling across the property, there are some potential guests, as mentioned above, that should be kept out of the WDW price range. Now, i understand that there are many families, good families, that are priced out of the magic. Unfortunately, I do not see any other option. More importantly, can you all just imagine how much fuel for bus transportation must cost alone? Ya'll know how we complain if we see a "drop in quality." I just think it is a necessary evil.:shrug:
Never really thought of that before. And I'm sure Disney would never admit it either, if it's their reason. But sort of makes some sense.

Glasgow

I'm pretty sure they do not keep the prices high to keep certain types of people out -- I think that is a by-product, desirable or not. To be honest, the price is relatively high strictly for profitability and based upon cashing in on their name and quality. Its funny that many people tend to associate personal income with quality of person, and while that may be true in many cases, the opposite is often more accurate. Point is, Disney wants your money.

I guarantee you that there are constant TWDC studies detailing the highest price they can charge without losing attendance. If they thought they could charge more and still get away with it then they would do so.

erasure fan1

I agree with the theory of keeping some types of people out with their pricing but I think there is a 2nd part to it. I think they keep the prices up to keep Disney as an exclusive vacation that not everyone can do. It adds to the whole Disney mystique. If everyone could do it anytime it just wouldnt feel the same.

luvlifeinfl

If we did not become DVC memebers a few yrs back, we would not be able to go every yr like we do. With DVC it helps w/ accomidations, but I know when we get back from a trip we have have to work on paying off our cc for park tickets & dining. This yr I am taking a different approach, since i know how much it is going to cost for park tickets & dining, I decided to start putting money aside, like $65.00 every week, so when it is time to go I can pay for it straight cash and then I will not have it on my cc.

dznygirl64

I wish then they would make it to expensive for all those people in power wheelchairs that dont really need them.Every trip I see someone jump out of there power chair and run over to a ride.Makes me want to trip them so they will have a reason for the chair.:ROFLOL:

WishIwasThere

I wish then they would make it to expensive for all those people in power wheelchairs that dont really need them.Every trip I see someone jump out of there power chair and run over to a ride.Makes me want to trip them so they will have a reason for the chair.:ROFLOL:

Now you're asking for trouble...Talk about a thread drift.

But back to the topic...If comparing prices 20 years ago and the quality of the product (I'm sure everyone would agree that it has gone down over the years, see Kevin Yee for this). I would say that it has gotten very expensive. When I was in the Navy in Orlando, 20 years ago, we used to be able to buy one day tickets (granted at a discount) for $25, and I think parking was $5 or so. The only way the parks are considered reasonable is if you stay for 4 days or longer. One day pass...no way.

DisneyJoe

But back to the topic...If comparing prices 20 years ago and the quality of the product (I'm sure everyone would agree that it has gone down over the years, see Kevin Yee for this). I would say that it has gotten very expensive.

We all don't agree with Mr Yee.

Other vacations are still just as expensive if not more so.

I believe Disney is still a great vacation value.

dznygirl64

Now you're asking for trouble...Talk about a thread drift.

But back to the topic...If comparing prices 20 years ago and the quality of the product (I'm sure everyone would agree that it has gone down over the years, see Kevin Yee for this). I would say that it has gotten very expensive. When I was in the Navy in Orlando, 20 years ago, we used to be able to buy one day tickets (granted at a discount) for $25, and I think parking was $5 or so. The only way the parks are considered reasonable is if you stay for 4 days or longer. One day pass...no way.
Please read everything I wrote before you make your judgements.

GoofyFan1

Before I start, I'm a teacher, therefore I can only go at peak times.(parents and administration don't like it if you go during school time) Right now I coach both indoor and outdoor track, I'm the Vice President of the Teachers' Association, Future Teachers advisor and the lead curriculum teacher for high school science. I do all these extra jobs to go to WDW.

That being said, I don't appreciate Disney raising everything from room rates to dining during the times I get to go. The value is really starting to decrease for the amount of work I have to do to get there. This past Memorial Day weekend I took my wife and daughter to Cape Cod and they would now prefer to go there next summer instead of going to WDW. I could actually drop an extra job or two if we did that.

I'm seriously reaching my limit, I don't want to have to coach cheerleading, so I can continue to go to WDW. I love the World, but there doesn't seem to be a day that goes by that there isn't a post about price rising.

I'm glad for all the people that get to take advantage of the buy 4 get 3 and dining deals, but those of us that can't take advantage of those are being priced out.

Oh I forgot, I'll be selling blood to afford the airfare down to WDW.:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom