Is Disney World enough? My perspective after visiting Disneyland/DCA and Tokyo Disneyland.

tentaguasu

Original Poster
As a multiple time Disney Worlder, I always wondered if I was missing something by not visiting any of the other Disneys around the world (particularly Disneyland.)

Though many others have discussed it, I though my perspective of unexpectedly being able to do both Disneyland and Tokyo in quick succession the last six months might give some perspective to those wondering if they should ever leave the Disney World bubble. (Hopefully this is the right place to put this thread, as it's not really a trip report...)

Until this summer, I was a 100% Disney World guy who had never visited any Disney park outside of Orlando. Nor did I plan to. But work travel brought me through both Tokyo and LA, so I had to give them a try.

Here’s my short summary: If forced to rank them, I’d put Disney World first, Disney Tokyo second, and Disneyland/DCA third.

But – and this is my main point and NOT what I expected – if you possibly can, you have to visit each. Sad to say it, but I’ll never be happy with just Disney World again.

Why Disney World reigns supreme. For those of us who were introduced to Disney parks through Disney World, nothing else will ever really compare for one major reason – scale. You all know this, but Disney World really is a world. Yes, transportation, planning, and logistics can be difficult, but that’s sort of like saying the logistics of climbing Everest are difficult. It’s almost part of the fun of the whole thing. Resort hopping, four entire parks, just being in an entire Disney empire is just a blast. Add in the uniqueness of Epcot and Animal Kingdom and it’s a slam dunk. Disney World is the indisputable champ, in my book.

However, you really have to go to both Disneyland Tokyo and DL/DCA if you possibly can.

Why go to Tokyo? Because the Japanese do Disney better than we Americans do. It’s that simple. At the risk of being stereotypical here, It’s like the perfect marriage – the uniquely American vision of something like a fairytale kingdom full of princesses and pirates and such with the Japanese love of perfection, esthetics, cleanliness, and order. The result is that you have the Disney vision where just about everything feels well-maintained, beautiful, and cared for. For my money, it blows DL away. Pretty much every ride was better in Tokyo, and in some cases much better. I enjoyed Indy in DL, but I LOVED it in Tokyo. Every effect was better. The queue is brilliant. The theming and queues are generally magnificent. The queue for Splash Mountain – wow. Food is good, in some cases excellent. Service is friendlier and just more professional seeming. It has a few unique rides (like Honey Hunt). It’s just a really great Disney experience. If I could pick only one castle park to visit ever again, it be Tokyo’s.

And here’s a strange one, but it mattered to me. Not only are the crowds generally well-mannered and polite, in my short time there, I found the Japanese to be less cynical and more engaged in a way that really blends well with Disney. To me, they seemed less skeptical and more “bought into” the Disney magic.
Having said all that, is it worth crossing an ocean for? Well, to some people, the difference in upkeep and detail doesn’t matter that much. For me it does, but maybe for you it doesn’t.

…but then you have to factor in Disneysea. Man, what a beautiful park. I won’t rehash it again, as many others have commented on it, but it’s special. It’s everything a Disney park should be. Creative, beautiful, theming everywhere, unique. I’ve heard it called the best theme park on the planet, and I agree. Now, it’s still a theme park! It’s not going to cure cancer or anything. But it’s about the state of the art in the topic, so far. I think the best way to say it is like this – if you think Carsland in DL is beautiful, imagine a whole park that well done. That’s Disneysea.

And Japan is way easier than you’d think. Our simple (off-site but close) hotel room was small (as they are in Japan) but cheaper than a budget at DW. Tickets were surprisingly cheap (around $75). Food was probably comparable. Depending on where you’re flying from, you might find it not that much more to do Japan. If you did just Disney, it would be very easy. If you added in a couple of days in Tokyo, you could make it a mini international adventure.

I’m not going to say it would work for everyone. I’ve travelled overseas a lot and it doesn’t intimidate me. But I will say this – Tokyo is about as easy as anywhere else I’ve been. Trains are everywhere, easy, and bi-lingual. Google maps are perfectly accurate for riding the trains. The city is (generally speaking) crazy safe. People are courteous and will generally do their best to help you out. I don’t speak any Japanese at all, and had no problems.

However, due to the scope and size of Disney World, I still would have to pick Disney World if I could only pick one location to visit again. And we haven’t gotten Star Wars yet.

Why go to Disneyland/DCA? Here’s the thing – for me personally, I wouldn’t go to Disneyland again. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed my time there. It was nice to see the “original” park and see where it all started. But… it wasn’t all that. Special magic because “Walt walked there”? Hmmm… not so much for me. It’s more like a really interesting and nostalgic look where the idea started – an interesting “first draft” with plenty of mis-steps (like too few bathrooms!). It has some “charm” factor to it, but to be honest, it also seemed less well maintained – past quaint and right into “long in the teeth.” For instance, IASM and SM both seemed smaller and a bit dingy. The DL only rides like Matterhorn, Storybook, and the castle walkthrough were fun, but old and nothing I absolutely had to experience. (I will say I was very impressed with Fantasmic...)

So, after day one, I would have said DL is nothing you should feel bad about missing. If you want a full-multi-park, all-encompasing experience, then you want Disney World. If you want the best parks in the world, IMO, Tokyo it is. The sentimentality of Disneyland is nice and all, but not worth a trip.

BUT then... I went to DCA. And that’s where it all gets hard. If I’m blessed with the chance to do it, I would be thrilled to do DCA again sometime soon. And the reason comes down to just two things – Radiator Springs Racers and Mission Breakout. Again, they are just theme park rides, they won’t change your life. But as far as theme park rides go, after experiencing everything Disney had to throw at me across 8 of the 12 theme parks they have in the world, Mission Breakout and Radiator Springs Racers and #1 and #2 on my list of favorite rides. IMO, they are that good. (And believe me, as a ToT fan, I was VERY skeptical about Mission Breakout. I was wrong.)

Given that there will be new rides at DCA in the superhero land, the nice Frozen show, and a good and unique river rapids ride, well… DCA is back on my “must go back if I can" list.

Conclusion: I’m firmly a Disney World guy at the end of the day, but I’ll be sorely disappointed if I can’t get back to both DCA and Tokyo in the near future!

If you have the chance, IMO they are both well worth leaving the DW bubble for.

Marc Davis Fan

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up, and to share your thoughts and experiences. I have also been to all three of these resorts, and I had some of the same reactions as you, but differed greatly from others.

I agree that DisneySea is unique and spectacular. Every Disney fan should visit that park if they have the opportunity to do so. Mount Prometheus (the park's volcano centerpiece) is Disney's best rockwork/mountain design to date, IMHO. And more broadly, the lands are all richly detailed, incredibly immersive, and even successfully "bermed off" from each other so that sightlines don't break the immersion. And Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of the best Disney attractions, a classic at the level of HM and PoTC (again IMHO, of course).

I had the opposite reaction as you to the original Disneyland in Anaheim, though. I expected it to be - just as you described - a smaller, "first draft" version of The Magic Kingdom, with a few attractions added and subtracted. Instead, I found a higher level of that intangible "Disney magic" emotional/aesthetic appeal than in any other park I've been to. The smaller scale, blending-together of lands (e.g., Frontierland, Adventureland, New Orleans Square, and Critter Country all "cross-fading" into each other), and other factors made it feel to me more like another world (or a magic kingdom, if you will) than any other park has. In particular, sitting in front of Rivers of America in Frontierland early in the morning, watching the Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, canoes, rafts, etc., against the backdrop of pine trees, when just having been in the city of Anaheim moments ago, felt surreal to me. Also, I think Disneyland's PoTC and Space Mountain are vastly superior, and Indiana Jones Adventure remains one of Disney's best attractions, plus the Tomorrowland side of the Matterhorn at night is unique and incredibly fun. And as you said, Fantasmic!! (the new version requires two exclamation points, apparently) is also superior.

I also had the opposite reaction to DCA. Because of all the sightline issues (M:B, Anaheim Convention Center, power lines, etc), aesthetic contradictions (particularly in the main thoroughfare through the center of the park), and attraction lineup that I found lacking, DCA will be my least-favorite Disney park once SWGE opens at DHS (I think I'm safe in assuming that SWGE will be good, haha). The Cars Land rockwork is amazing (especially when you enter the land from Pacific Wharf, holy moly that view), but the sightline problems (especially those caused by M:B) really mess up the immersion throughout the land. Personally, I am not a fan of M:B. I think Joe Rohde and his team did an amazing job with the task they were given, but ToT has excellent pacing, true suspense (perhaps unique in a theme park attraction), and a gestalt impact that I find to be unsurpassed. I found M:B to be more "plain entertainment" that lacks the sense of depth, emotional appeal, and timelessness that ToT has, and I especially found the ride portion itself to rely way too heavily on screens (it's nearly all screens).

I hope my thoughts are interesting to people as well! Thanks again for sharing yours!

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Very nice perspective. I'm going to DL in March, so it's been very helpful hearing different members thoughts on the parks. Thanks for the post!

eliza61nyc

Nice report, interesting view. I went to Tokyo about a decade ago (my brothers were station in Japan and I visited a few times) and while it was nice I absolutely have no desire to go back so I guess I won't experience Tokyo Disney.
LOL, that's what makes the world great, so many people on the planet think what would happened if we all like the same thing?

You'll have to write a trip report on it though, I would love to hear about it.

tentaguasu

Original Poster
I had the opposite reaction as you to the original Disneyland in Anaheim, though. I expected it to be - just as you described - a smaller, "first draft" version of The Magic Kingdom, with a few attractions added and subtracted.

That's so interesting. Reading your thoughts, I think both of us really value the aesthetics and details that make Disney great. I remember going to Universal Studios Orlando about 12 years ago and really not liking it much at all. Now, I hear it has improved a great deal, but at that time I was really surprised at how much... well cruder in every sense of the word it was. No style, no subtlty, no detail, no immersion. Yet many people said, "it's great - just as good as Disney."

So right there I recognized that some of us care a great deal about certain things that others simply don't care about. Not a better or a worse thing, just a difference in taste. (As another example, I'm very fussy about the bass in a stereo system. It has to have plenty, but it has to be tight and punchy. My sister in law? Eh, any old tinny radio is great for her.)

Anyway, both of us seem to care about that... and we both found it in spades in Tokyo.

And yet... we felt differently about Disneyland and DCA. It seems like you have a close eye for overall park integrity - lands, sight lines, integration. Though I certainly care about that, I think maybe I'm less aware of that than I am of small things - the "dustiness" of the animatronics in Splash Mountain, less upkeep in certain areas. Maybe I focus more in on each ride as it stands alone. Therefore, I'm really focused in on Radiator Springs Racers or Mission Breakout as a standalone item, and love them for what they are. (Though I love Carsland as a concept... hmmm....)

I don't know, just curious how we all perceive things somewhat differently.

(Also, I should note that an absolute highlight of Disneyland that I did not at all expect was the Storytime (?) theater thing.... I thought it would be a little story reading for kids, but ended up being a wildly entertaining and humorous skit.)

I found M:B to be more "plain entertainment" that lacks the sense of depth, emotional appeal, and timelessness that ToT has, and I especially found the ride portion itself to rely way too heavily on screens (it's nearly all screens).

I generally hate screens too, but here I didn't mind. Probably because I found the screens almost incidental to the experience. I absolutely loved the "party" vibe of the whole thing and, as a huge music fan, loved the music. You're, right, it probably is more pure entertainment, yet for my money it's really, really good pure entertainment. It has the "Disney level" of amazing technology, shine, polish, and story.

For me, of course! Very interesting to share notes and perceptions. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anyone been to Paris? How does that compare?

LOL, that's what makes the world great, so many people on the planet think what would happened if we all like the same thing?

Hear, hear! One of the underrated things about Disney is how well it appeals to so many different tastes and demographics.

You'll have to write a trip report on it though, I would love to hear about it.

I'd love to... though I always figure no one really reads them?! If it would be of interest, I'll definitely do it.

Marc Davis Fan

That's so interesting. Reading your thoughts, I think both of us really value the aesthetics and details that make Disney great. I remember going to Universal Studios Orlando about 12 years ago and really not liking it much at all. Now, I hear it has improved a great deal, but at that time I was really surprised at how much... well cruder in every sense of the word it was. No style, no subtlty, no detail, no immersion. Yet many people said, "it's great - just as good as Disney."

Yeah, that's my experience with Universal as well. It has some great things, but it is filled with aesthetic flaws and doesn't work holistically the way good Disney parks do. That's also how I feel about DCA, though not nearly to the same extent as with Universal, obviously.

And yet... we felt differently about Disneyland and DCA. It seems like you have a close eye for overall park integrity - lands, sight lines, integration. Though I certainly care about that, I think maybe I'm less aware of that than I am of small things - the "dustiness" of the animatronics in Splash Mountain, less upkeep in certain areas.

That's a good point. The maintenance really seems to go up and down at DLR. Just a few years ago, the maintenance at DLR seemed to be significantly better than WDW's maintenance overall (with the exception of Splash Mountain, which is nearly always a complete mess at DL, and I really don't understand why), but now the maintenance at DLR has hit a lull again. Coincidentally, I was at DL for the first time in a while just recently, and I noticed a lot of maintenance problems, more than I ever have before. I really hope the next upturn in DLR maintenance is coming soon...

Oh, one thing I forgot to add for WDW folks who are thinking of visiting DLR or Tokyo: Review a crowd calendar and DO NOT go during a heavily crowded time! The original Disneyland park in particular was not designed for the crowds that it sometimes gets, and if you go during a really crowded time, it can be seriously claustrophobic.

eliza61nyc

(Also, I should note that an absolute highlight of Disneyland that I did not at all expect was the Storytime (?) theater thing.... I thought it would be a little story reading for kids, but ended up being a wildly entertaining and humorous skit.)

I'd love to... though I always figure no one really reads them?! If it would be of interest, I'll definitely do it

Oh no people absolutely read them. I love the ones here especially when folks intersperse them with pictures. It's a way to get a different perspective. Like I said, I went to Japan to visit family in the military, that is probably a lot different than a business trip or a solo trip or a trip to Tokyo Disney. Get to writing!!

Mista C

This is a Beauty and the Beast ride that is being created for Tokyo Disneyland. Amazing.

I just saw this today as well! Unreal! Why on earth can't we get these types of rides here? It aggravates me that the other parks get these types of attractions and we get the Tangled bathrooms.

Kevin_W

I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for the write-up. We haven't been to Tokyo yet, but have been to California and Paris. Even though my daughter still refers to WDW as "Real Disney", it was really nice to visit those other parks.

Centeral

I just saw this today as well! Unreal! Why on earth can't we get these types of rides here? It aggravates me that the other parks get these types of attractions and we get the Tangled bathrooms.
I wish WDW had some company backer, other than the house of mouse ~ Tokyo with the Oriental land company, Paris with whoever (they used to have), The Hong Kong government in Honk Kong & The Chinese government in Shanghai. They get Rattatouie, Crush's coaster, Mystic Manor & The whole of Tokyo Disney Sea & Shanghai Disneyland. There seems to be a direct correlation between these factors.......

Texas84

I'm a WDW passholder because Orlando is only a 5-hour drive. But maybe I prefer Disneyland because I lived in California when I was a kid. We went every summer. So nostalgia maybe. Tokyo DL is #1 on my bucket list but I need to build up time off and do a Japan tour with it.

JIMINYCR

Thanks for this ... an excellent post with very concise, helpful advice. If dreams come true one day I'll get to visit DL & Tokyo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom