Is Disney starting to lose that genuine quality for you?

Are you losing interest because it is losing that magical Disney feel?

• Total voters

bUU

People have been asking that question going back to the USENET net.disney days. If it wasn't true in the 1980s, and it wasn't true the 1990s, and wasn't true in the 2000s, then why would it suddenly be true in the 2010s?

Rather, individual people become jaded. They become proprietary. And they become ornery. So those individual people start seeing things in a negative light. Just like there were people like that ten or twenty years earlier, when the newly-negative first visited WDW and fell in love with the place.

It's true of all aspects of life: Your marriage; your job/career; your neighborhood; your church; etc. Remaining interested and satisfied is half "them" and half "you". If you don't do the work to remain engaged and excited, then you won't. You'll become disillusioned, and your relationships - with a loved one, with friends, with the work you do, with the people around you, and with the things that you find interesting and entertaining - will deteriorate.

eliza61nyc

Wow that's a hard one. First, I still very much love Disney. I did not go during the "heyday" so luckily I don't consistently compare it to long ago and say what Disney "used" to be. Have absolutely no issue with IP at all. I am cautiously optimistic about the parks. I do think they have to get a handle on the crowds. that imo is their number one issue.
They are finally giving the parks the much needed upgrades it should have had years ago.
As for the future, again I'm optimistic enough to snatch up a few more shares of it. like most non essential disposable things when the economy hits a rough patch it will have a slow down but it will rebound along with the economy.
It will lose some loyal fans and gain some new ones.

If anything I wish they'd stop with this "live action" remake of its movies. they suck and are never as good as the animated version. 🤣

Heppenheimer

Haven't visited a Disney park since 2017 (was at both US resorts that year) and other than being disappointed that Disney seems to have given up pushing food that is even slightly more adventurous than the US average, I was just as satisfied as always.

Going again in 2020, and looking forward to it with an open mind.

But if Marvel ever starts to take over the parks, my opinion might change.

jloucks

Everything eventually falls apart without The Visionary and with too much arrogance:
Roman Empire, AOL, Blockbuster,
LA Lakers w/o DR Buss & West, Anderson Silva, American cars, Whirlpool/Maytag, Sears, toysRus, etc, etc
Agree,, except about domestic cars. I have a Cadillac that won't stinking die. ...a prerequisite to me getting a new one. 10 years old and 100% like new. Well,, 99% like new. Some twinkie crumbs are between the seats. My Ford is almost 7 years old and won't die. My Dodge is going on 16 years old (the paint is falling off so maybe that counts?). I have weird immortal vampire cars that are seriously clogging up my new car plans.

I should have bought BMW's! OoooOOOOOoooo :p

Raineman

Everything eventually falls apart without The Visionary and with too much arrogance:
Roman Empire, AOL, Blockbuster,
LA Lakers w/o DR Buss & West, Anderson Silva, American cars, Whirlpool/Maytag, Sears, toysRus, etc, etc
Not saying that this won't happen to WDW, but I don't think it's started quite yet, if you base a decline on number of visitors. I am doubtful, however, that Disney theme parks will ever be completely gone, like what happened Sears, Toys R Us, etc.

JIMINYCR

Maybe a little. I dont buy into all the hate and negativity thats occasionally posted regarding cost, maintenance, whose in charge, comparison of parks and other hot topics. I still see a Disney that continues to deliver what I'm looking for in a family vacation at a good value and I havent yet experienced a place thats so bad that I have to decide to abandon it as my vacation destination. The biggest issue that bothers me and may affect my enjoyment is the increasing crowds. Ask me again after my 2019 trip is over.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Orlando is loosing its value for money across the board. DL just cost us an arm and a leg just for tickets.

Paris however recently was a breath of fresh air. Both in cost and value.

Food was the only eye-opening expense in Paris for us last year. The rest was, as you said, refreshing.

Prices at the domestic parks are rising far faster than inflation and have been for years. That's not a model that lends itself to continued broad appeal, as in decades past. *shrug* We continue to find value in staying at a DVC resort for a few nights around DCL adventures, at least. :)

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
For me its not about losing anything but more about not gaining new things I like.

I'll still continue to go every chance I get but I have enough old favorites for it to be worthwhile.
But in the past couple of years they have not given me much new to be excited about.
Not a fan of Avatar, Been to TSL my last 2 trips but when I go later this month I don't plan on doing SDD or AS2. Just TSM and maybe grab something to eat.
SWGE does not interest me at all.

I'm looking forward to the attractions that will be added here and there in the next few years like GOTG. I prefer that to an entire land based on something I don't care about. Who knows if I will ever set foot in SWGE. I have yet to step foot in Pandora although that will change in a couple weeks but I also doubt I'll be rushing back to Pandora any time soon after this trip.

starri42

I think I can see the fact that it's actually Magic, Inc these days, but I don't think it's because things are different from a business perspective, I think it's because I look at it with adult eyes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Orlando is loosing its value for money across the board. DL just cost us an arm and a leg just for tickets.

Paris however recently was a breath of fresh air. Both in cost and value.
I actually find the Disneyland pricing more palatable for my wdw bones now.
You’re just not spending enough to see the value.🤔

Ahhh...that’s what we “haters” have been missing, huh?

It’s like the cult of Set from Conan the Barbarian
Food was the only eye-opening expense in Paris for us last year. The rest was, as you said, refreshing.

Prices at the domestic parks are rising far faster than inflation and have been for years. That's not a model that lends itself to continued broad appeal, as in decades past. *shrug* We continue to find value in staying at a DVC resort for a few nights around DCL adventures, at least. :)
Prices are rising at an unsustainable clip for the long term health of the parks...

As opposed to DCL, which have been bugnuts from the start 🤪

PiratesMansion

I no longer find WDW to be a quality experience. The prices continue to spike, the hours shorten, the staffing lessens, the lines are longer than California, and the quality generally worse despite numerous defenders and apologists. WDW has essentially lost me for a customer.

I might dip in to Disney Springs or Sanaa from time to time, but it's going to take a lot to get me into the gates of a park. Especially if that park isn't Animal Kingdom.

I still love DL but am growing wary as they too are starting to cut entertainment and continue to raise prices.

The international parks are the champions right now, particularly the parks in Asia. All are well maintained, have great unique attractions, great staff, significantly cheaper ticket prices (all), and in some cases cheaper food too (Tokyo). They are showing up the US parks right now as to how the Disney experience should be done. The US parks come off as cheap imitators by comparison in many respects now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom