Is Disney Springs worth driving down a day early?

mikewdw

Original Poster
Haven't been to Disney Springs since they began reimagining it from Downtown Disney. We are planning on starting our onsite stay on Sunday in late may. Had originally planned on driving down Sunday leaving very, very, early in AM. Is DS worth driving down day early on Sat. and spending extra night in off site motel? We like the idea of feeling fresh on Sunday to start our trip to WDW (have done it like that numerous times) but not sure if worth $250-350 more by the time we pay for hotel and meals on Sat.
any info appreciated.
Thanks
mikewdw

NeedMoreMickey

How long is your drive? Disney Springs has some great places to eat and we spent about hour & half walking/shopping. I’m not sure if I could spend a day there unless you plan on bowling or going to the movies. We only went into Disney themed stores not stores you can find at malls.

WDWBusDriver

Disney Springs is full of restaurants and shops. If that is something that interests you, then I would suggest making an extra few hours. If not, it can even be worth just a walk around after parks. Buses will operate to and from resorts a little before and after Disney Springs' Operating Hours, typically 10am to 12am daily. And from the parks, not to them, after 4pm daily until park clear of guests.

If you do make a stop do some research on the restaurants at the Disney Springs website by clicking here.

JimW

Premium Member
drive is about 8-9 hours so enough time to leave at 5-6 and have good evening there
For me, personally? I don't think that Disney Springs is worth the extra day. There are a few restaurants there that I love: Raglan Road, Art Smith's Homecomin', and Morimoto Asia. There are also a few unique shops that I really enjoy, such as Uniqlo and the Marketplace Co-op. If we had kids, I'm sure the World of Disney store as well as the Lego Store would be well worth it.

In my opinion, the greater value proposition is getting there a day early and getting a full night's sleep before you start hitting up the parks, even if it means staying in a different hotel/motel. To me, that would be worth the extra money. Disney Springs would just be the icing on the cake, as it'd give us something Disney-fied to do.

Cmdr_Crimson

If you can stomach the fact that all they added was Really Expensive Stores & Restaurants in what was a Former Parking Lot in front of Pleasure Island...I'd say no...It's not worth it...Once you step onto the West Side & Marketplace ends..It's still has the DTD vibe to it...

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Some people really enjoy shopping and like seeing different stores in an attractive setting. (There are some nice restaurants there as well.)

But maybe a half day at the most would be sufficient if you really like stores, or perhaps a leisurely evening visit, after you're done with the parks for the day.

(For me, the Springs holds little interest as I far prefer to spend my time in the parks, if I go to WDW. If I need to buy something, I'll just glance inside the gift shops within the parks.)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
@mikewdw

What is your travel party? Is it just two adults? or are there kids?

If it's just two adults, going a day early is 1000% worth it. Disney Springs is really quite nice, and if you enjoy an adult beverage, you can have a wonderful evening.

If it's with kids, then it's a toss up. I might be inclined to go early just to get a fresh start Sunday. Just that is worth the $300 to me. Mileage may vary depending on your financial situation.

BoarderPhreak

Disney Springs? Meh. It's nice enough to spend time at when you have otherwise dead time, but I wouldn't pay $250-350 for the privilege. Remember, Disney Springs is essentially an outdoor mall (food and shops). Count on spending more beyond that.

KBLovedDisney

I used to set aside an entire day (or a few) for Disney Springs because I like to shop. But now, it feels way too mall-ish and a whole lot less what used to be Downtown Disney. Pretty much less Disney, more outlet mall type.

I'd say maybe a few hours after a half park day or something along those lines.

jencor

Why would he have to spend $250-$350 for the extra day. OP said he's staying off site. That can be done for between $55-$90 bucks at accommodations that are just as good if not better than what you get onsite for the $. (While including free breakfast).
I agree that you do not need to spend that much. The only reason you would spend that kind of money is if you ate at Disney Springs, so eat off property and enjoy. I think if you just walk around it will start getting you into that Disney feel. Enjoy your trip no matter what you decide.

winstongator

Haven't been to Disney Springs since they began reimagining it from Downtown Disney. We are planning on starting our onsite stay on Sunday in late may. Had originally planned on driving down Sunday leaving very, very, early in AM. Is DS worth driving down day early on Sat. and spending extra night in off site motel? We like the idea of feeling fresh on Sunday to start our trip to WDW (have done it like that numerous times) but not sure if worth $250-350 more by the time we pay for hotel and meals on Sat.
any info appreciated.
Thanks
mikewdw
Unless you've already got a hotel, look into the Disney springs area hotels that offer 60 day FP booking, and emh:
http://www.chipandco.com/select-dis...e-60-day-fastpasses-extra-magic-hours-292350/

I did not like Downtown Disney. I really enjoy Disney Springs, almost to the point of saying I love it. Check out the Void Star Wars experience. Not cheap, but I've heard it's awesome. I'm tacking a night onto our cruise travel to do it . https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/disney-springs/star-wars-secrets-empire/

It is still just shops & restaurants, but it feels themed, there's ample parking (as a nerd, I really like the tech in the garages), and I like a lot more of the shops and restaurants than pre-renovation. Many of the Disney Springs area hotels are also walking distance. There is a nice pedestrian bridge that connects the hotels on the opposite side of Hotel Plaza/Buena Vista Dr.

eliza61nyc

Op,
Generally I like to get to disney a day earlier especially when I'm driving. I drive from Philadelphia pa quite often. No way would I drive down and immediately hit the parks.

So in answer to your question yes I would and do think it's worth it.
Next, I'm a "stroller". lol meaning I like soaking in "atmosphere" and strolling. I can go into the world of disney and look at all the crazy stuff they have in there. I can look through some of the high end stores and browse.

I probably would not do an entire day but definitely spend 4-5 hours just "chilling" and getting a nice meal.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Why would he have to spend $250-$350 for the extra day. OP said he's staying off site. That can be done for between $55-$90 bucks at accommodations that are just as good if not better than what you get onsite for the $. (While including free breakfast).
OP is the one who stated the $250 - $350 number. Did you even read the OP?

Also, $55? Gross.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Nothing gross about saving money for a place that is on par with the Disney All Star resorts and offers free breakfast. But to each his own.
Knight's Inn Maingate

07441_lobby_view_2.jpg

All Star Movies

All-Star_movies_resort_LOBBY.jpg

You're right, totally the same thing.

MissingDisney

Another vote for driving in early, staying at an offsite less expensive hotel, (check the Disney Springs area ones-Mousesavers.com has great rates!) just for the fact of being rested. Strolling around Disney Springs, getting a nice snack and beverage and enjoying the great entertainment is just an added bonus. Eat down the street at a regular restaurant for less or at a place like Earl of Sandwich which is inexpensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom