Is Disney In Another Dark Age?

Schneewittchen

c68b34f26a6eb944f3ed5120723ae33efe720c855fed6d10804a1dc7937670eb.jpg

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
4 movies that didnt crack a billion dollars means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Lion King, Aladdin and Toy Story all cracked a billion. Frozen 2 comes out in a few months.

Schneewittchen

4 movies that didnt crack a billion dollars means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Lion King, Aladdin and Toy Story all cracked a billion. Frozen 2 comes out in a few months.
Remember the girls that loved Frozen are pre-teens/teenagers now. I think the blonde braided wig and itchy glitter-fart dress market was saturated about 2 years ago...

Maleficent 2 has the potential to be terrible. What is the point of this?

And Star Wars 9000 will either save the day or the poo will hit the fan and theaters will erupt into chaos when JJ rains on the Reylo shippers parade..... Can someone remind me why I even cared about these characters in the first place????

Cosmic Commando

Creatively, the traditional “Disney” live action slate is certainly in a funk. There’s not a whole lot there that has resonated, beyond sequels and remakes. Animation-wise, I think they’ve had a solid decade of success, creatively and financially. Ralph 2 I thought was mediocre, but it’s been a very solid run since Meet the Robinsons or Bolt. On the whole, it’s hard to call it a dark age.

Fox&Hound

I don't think so at all- their animation department continues to churn out hits- now I will give you WR2 or The Good Dinosaur as being "meh" but overall, I find their animated films to be incredible. Their live action have always been hit or miss- ever since they started making films. But Disney is not hurting in any way and I think their focus on streaming will change how they deliver content. We will see "smaller" movies like Nutcracker or Pooh go directly to streaming while they save their big tentpoles for the theaters. Will we even have movie theaters in 30 years? who knows...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Id like to think a "dark age' would imply that movies arent making as much money as people would hoped they would.
I'm with @Dead2009 on this... can't really be considered a dark age when money is handed to them hand over fist, regardless of the quality.
It certainly can be if you’re not contributing new characters and stories and run roughshod over established IP.

The box office doesn’t necessarily reflect it immediately...but the case can certainly be made

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would definitely call Disney in a creative dark age. I put a portion of the blame for this on the fans. Uninspired remakes and Sequels and the fans flock to see them. Marvel is the only studio right now that isn't creatively challenged.
Have to agree...

All the way around. Nothing original at all.

They just made two BAD live action copies of cartoons that grossed $1 bil...that’s on the consumers.

Just like “after hours magic” in the parks...movie goers need to be responsible in what they spend on.

Ripken10

A lot of people online are saying that Disney is in another dark age like they were in the 70s and early 80s due to them focusing less on animation and more on the live action remakes which many people including myself consider most of them to be soulless cash grabs.
If Disney is headed toward the Dark Ages...what does that mean for every other studio that is struggling compared to Disney right now?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think animation is fine. Onward and Soul come out next year for Pixar...and the I believe another from Disney animation that is still untitled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom