IS DISNEY GETTING 'LESS' MAGICAL?

yensid67

What is going on with Disney!? I have read a lot that says they are discounting The Riviera up to 40% BEFORE IT EVEN OPENS! And the new Star Wars Hotel is going to be $3,300.00 for a 2 night stay!? I, personally think Disney is making even PLANNING a trip harder and less magical. If you want FP for your park day, you have to be up and the break of dawn. And in most cases, there are none available at 7:00:59am. I figure they set a large chunk of FP's for DVC/ANNUAL Passholders for first choice then regular park guests! I am getting less and less infatuated with Disney as they keep raising their prices. But when is enough enough and will cause Disney to start rethinking things?

Tuvalu

I figure they set a large chunk of FP's for DVC/ANNUAL Passholders for first choice then regular park guests!
As an AP holder for many years, I can attest this is unequivocally untrue. I have been locked out from attaining FPs for Slinky Dog, 7DMT and Flight of Passage for trips that are a week long. I am in the same FP pool as everyone else.

But I agree with everything else you said. Sadly, Disney will continue to raise prices until attendance drops off. As long as numbers stay high, increases will keep on coming.

What business doesn’t want to keep making more money? 😉

When guests voice their displeasure with their wallets (not just their voices), then change will occur.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Well sounds like its no longer magical for YOU so perhaps its time to venture elsewhere?

For me its no less magical.
I enjoy making FP selections and don't get mad when I don't get something.
They often discount new resorts for a short period of time.
The Star Wars hotel is going to be a complete experience and I do believe the price is all inclusive with access to the park etc.
Personally I'll never stay there because it does not interest me in any way.

Overall I'm in the camp that has seen a lot of changes from the time I first went and there are some changes I don't like and some that I do like and I can learn to take the good and leave the bad.

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
But when is enough enough and will cause Disney to start rethinking things?

Ship has sailed sadly. It's all a money grab now. I say that as a "loyal" Disney fan and Passholder who has been going to Disney literally since the day it opened (I was 2 - so don't remember much about that first trip).

Disney is still enjoyable. Although a bit pricey. - It's not changing back. It is what it is. There is no more magic. There is the "promise"/"remembrance" of Magic - and that's what drives us.

It is what it is. Just understand that. Visit Disney. Visit Universal. Visit SeaWorld. Take a trip to Legoland. And just enjoy your vacation.

Upvote 0

Tanna Eros

Have the crowds thinned out? Many people were complaining about how it crowded was. Would I pay more for a less crowded park? Yes, I would, and perhaps others will, too.

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Did Gran Destino Tower not have discounted rooms when it first opened?

It did. I booked back in June for my Sept. stay - $187 a night. (I originally had $158 at CSR for a regular room - then later upgraded to the Tower). I will say this. Just make sure you know exactly what floor you're going to in those elevators. There is zero room for mistake.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
I had no idea. Which others have started with a 40% discount?

When a new DVC resort opens for sale, they have to “declare” rooms as available for sale. The first allotment of points are sold against those rooms. Then they declare another batch of rooms and so on.

In the meantime, Disney owns the rest of the rooms and are liable for the maintenance fees - since there are no owners of those rooms, there is no income for them. Those rooms that Disney owns can be sold by Disney just like any other rooms onsite. And those are the ones they tend to discount.

Upvote 0

bUU

What is going on with Disney!? I have read a lot that says they are discounting The Riviera up to 40% BEFORE IT EVEN OPENS!
American consumer behavior is such that jacking up prices and then offering discounts is more profitable than everyday low prices.

And the new Star Wars Hotel is going to be $3,300.00 for a 2 night stay!?
It's basically a deluxe cruise in a remarkably unique facility with remarkably unique entertainment offerings. It's a fair price for such a rare, luxury experience.

I, personally think Disney is making even PLANNING a trip harder and less magical.
Disney gets no benefit and lots of grief from a handful of guests learning and employing ways to gain advantage for their own vacations through master-level advance planning. They would rather all guests approach them on an even playing field, and that even playing field necessarily at some level at which the vast majority of guests are comfortable. While all guests could study hard and learn how to be master planners, that's not something that most guests want to do, so it is in Disney's best interest to tamp down the means of exploit it leaves open for some guests to plan their way to advantage.

I figure they set a large chunk of FP's for DVC/ANNUAL Passholders for first choice then regular park guests!
They don't. The advantage there is completely and totally given to Disney resort guests (which includes DVC points reservations, but also regular resort reservations). You're probably trying to get FastPasses for the first day of our trip, but hotel guests who checked in ten days prior to you have already had nine days to reserve those FastPasses before you even could try. This is a real advantage Disney is happy to give guests who stay for ten nights.

I am getting less and less infatuated with Disney as they keep raising their prices.
I suspect that's the totality of the issue here. As Disney has gotten more popular, their prices have paralleled their popularity. Disney is, absolutely, in it for the money, and if they can get $110 from 100 guests instead of $100 from 110 guests, that's a win for them (because of less cost to serve 100 guests versus 110 guests). Disney has always been for the rich (we were too poor to afford a Disney vacation when it first opened) but now a lot of people who previously could afford Disney are being stretched to do so, both because Disney is charging more and because discretionary income is becoming more and more concentrated in the hands of fewer, more affluent people. So your feeling isn't unique. However, it isn't anything they're going to do anything about because for them it's all good.

But when is enough enough and will cause Disney to start rethinking things?
It doesn't work that way. Disney is fully on top of the situation, and making all the right moves. When indications are that a recession is underway, they'll stop increasing prices. When indications are that the next recovery is beginning, they start increasing prices again. It's just a natural part of their business process.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I havent found Disney to be less magical. Sure it takes more effort in planning with the competition for ADR's and FP+ choices, but if you know what to do in advance and know what you want it isnt very difficult to do. Choices do get more limited depending on the time of year and the increasing guest numbers, but I havent been completely locked out of everything. Ive found planning other vacations just as challenging so Disney isnt the only site that requires advance planning or understanding the system to get what you want. After going through the planning phase, Disney still provides enough entertainment and enjoyment to make it worthwhile going through the work to plan. For sure, I would much rather have the older easier Disney in place but I'll suffer through it still.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
As an AP holder for many years, I can attest this is unequivocally untrue. I have been locked out from attaining FPs for Slinky Dog, 7DMT and Flight of Passage for trips that are a week long. I am in the same FP pool as everyone else.
I stand corrected...Thank You!:)
But I agree with everything else you said. Sadly, Disney will continue to raise prices until attendance drops off. As long as numbers stay high, increases will keep on coming.

What business doesn’t want to keep making more money? 😉

When guests voice their displeasure with their wallets (not just their voices), then change will occur.
When you go for FP at the exact second they are available, there should not be any BLACK OUTS! Make it all seem shady

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
Did Gran Destino Tower not have discounted rooms when it first opened?
TRUE! But The Riviera isn't opened yet and they are discounting rooms!I think Disneyis building too many hotel room and not enough attractions. Universal is opening a 4th Gate with the new property...Disney just keeps putting a band-aid on their parks(with added land/attractions) DISNEY NEEDS A 5TH GATE NOW!

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
Good points to all! Another question is...WHEN/DO THINK UNIVERSAL WILL TAKE THE FIRST PLACE DESTINATION BEFORE DISNEY? I AM RESEARCHING THE DIFFERENCE, but will see.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
When you go for FP at the exact second they are available, there should not be any BLACK OUTS! Make it all seem shady

What do you mean by blackouts? I assume you mean no availability?

Remember your first day is someone else’s day 14. So everyone arriving in the two weeks before you has a jump on you for FPs. And that is the problem. With the best will in the world there are not enough FPs for the most popular rides; with 37,000 rooms that have the 60 day window, over 100,000 people could be trying to get an FP for the same rides you want.

Those staying longest have the biggest advantage. And simple maths says not everyone will be successful.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
TRUE! But The Riviera isn't opened yet and they are discounting rooms!I think Disneyis building too many hotel room and not enough attractions. Universal is opening a 4th Gate with the new property...Disney just keeps putting a band-aid on their parks(with added land/attractions) DISNEY NEEDS A 5TH GATE NOW!

More onsite rooms just means they entice more people to stay onsite, not that there are more people coming. And the fact that rooms fill up shows there is no lack of demand.

Grand Destino was discounted a few months before it opened. And I think I explained how Disney has far more rooms to rent out when a DVC resort first opens than at any other time.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
More onsite rooms just means they entice more people to stay onsite, not that there are more people coming. And the fact that rooms fill up shows there is no lack of demand.

Grand Destino was discounted a few months before it opened. And I think I explained how Disney has far more rooms to rent out when a DVC resort first opens than at any other time.
For me, I would love to stay on property JUST ONCE, with all the theming would be MAGICAL! But when I see the price of just one night in a Disney Hotel, it makes it UN MAGICAL for me! Guests must have cash to throw away...because you pay the high price for a room and are not in it to enjoy it unless you plan a resort day.

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

For me, I would love to stay on property JUST ONCE, with all the theming would be MAGICAL! But when I see the price of just one night in a Disney Hotel, it makes it UN MAGICAL for me! Guests must have cash to throw away...because you pay the high price for a room and are not in it to enjoy it unless you plan a resort day.

????I think you're frustration at the system is getting the best of you. lol, I never ever "throw" money away. I work to hard for it and spend it where I find the most value. I don't like the values so no matter how cheap they are, that would be a waste of money. Now I do buy into the "you're not in it or it's just a place to shower" mentality. I'm old enough that yes, I want my creature comforts. yes, I want a big bed and a robe in my room. I want indoor hallways and a sit down restaurant on site. so No when I stay deluxe I am NOT "throwing" money away.

Next you are assuming everyone runs to the parks all day. we go in hot August/september so we are actually only in the parks very early. by 1 O'clock we are taking a break back at the resort. we spend time there.

Sorry you are no longer feeling the magic but as others have said, it's a great big world out there, Disney is not the only place on the planet.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom