Is Disney expensive?

DanielleOG

Original Poster
This may sound like a silly question but I will explain:

I think the term "expensive" almost implies that something is not worth the money. I often hear friends of mine say that going to WDW is "too expensive" and therefore they will never go. For me, it is 100% worth the money and I think the prices are fair considering what you get out of it. It bothers me that people will completely shut down a trip to the world simply because of the money, but will happily travel to other places.

This past May, my boyfriend and I were finally interested in trying out an all-inclusive trip to somewhere like Cuba or Mexico. We priced it all out: the resort, airfare, experiences, transportation, etc. We looked at the amount and said "well, we might as well go to Disney instead!" as the trips were roughly the same cost.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

DisAl

Yes, that is why rather than a cruise for our 35th and 40th anniversaries we chose WDW. Going to do it again for our 45th in early 2019.
Go on a cruise and see an island or two and be stuck on a ship. If there is a problem, you are STUCK on the ship with no options.
Go to WDW and see the world. If there is a problem, I get in my car and go home...
(Disney cruises may be an exception, we have not done one of those.)
To answer your question, YES, Disney is expensive. But so is everywhere else I might want to go.

EricsBiscuit

Expense is relative. Compared to previous years, duh. Compared to other parks, Uni has $140 1 day ticket sometimes, but other than that yeah. Compared to other forms of entertainment (concerts, sports etc) no. Travel ball for my younger cousin can cost him hundreds of dollars per weekend for a tournament that can last only a couple hours if you lose. Concerts cost hundreds of dollars per ticket and last only a few hours. I think Disney is still the best value for an excursion or vacation, even after price hikes. Even if you pay 120, you can spend 10 hrs in the park (12/hr) and enjoy it more than other things.

DfromATX

I have found that Disney and other vacations cost about the same. We are a family of 6 so it costs us a lot no matter where we go even if it's just dinner lol. We go to Disney every few years and in between we do other things, oftentimes, cruising. And, we cruise Carnival (the budget line). It ends up costing about the same as a Disney trip. (I'd hate to see what a Disney cruise would cost us though, but that's another topic.) People complain a lot about Disney prices, but there are lots of ways people can do Disney and cut costs. In my opinion, it's the resorts and food that are expensive, not so much the ticket prices.

JIMINYCR

Sure Disney is expensive but the real question should be... Is the cost that you are paying worth the value of services you are receiving. And for all that we are getting, length of stay in a resort, park tickets, entertainment, DDP, and more... its well worth the cost. We get our value for every dollar we spend. Would we like it cheaper? Of course but I'd like everything else I spend money on to be cheaper and I get less value for so many other things I buy than what I get at Disney.

TXDisney

Everyone has different budgets. I think Disney does a great job of allowing most families able to go to WDW if they want (save money and such). The big thing I think people don't realize is how popular WDW is. So they think booking a trip in 3 weeks isn't a big deal. When it is, bc you missed out on some deals, reservations and FP. Which in turn makes the trip not as smooth as it could've been if planned out correctly. So if planned properly and all, WDW is always worth the money.

Goofyernmost

Too expensive basically implies that it cost more then one can afford. Not worth it, goes with what everyone is really trying to get at and that is that even if you can afford it you don't think it is worth the money. Those two things are constantly being confused. There are many things in life that are too expensive. A Maserati, an ocean going yacht, a villa on the Riviera. All are nice things that many people cannot afford to have but, might think that if they could afford it, it would be worth it.

The same with Disney. When you consider the endless hours of entertainment and pleasant fun times then not only is Disney not expensive, it is dirt cheap. If you base it on the ability to pay it... that becomes a different story.

parkhopper1213

There are ways to do Disney on a budget. Your biggest costs will be transportation, hotels and the park tickets. If you look for good airfare or are within driving distance you can control that cost. Disney's value resorts or offsite hotels may work for your family. In reality, we spend very little time in our room so we stay at the value resorts. Multi-day tickets are expensive, but it reduces your daily costs overall. Annual passes are expensive, but pay for themselves if you take 2 trips during the year.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
As someone who had an AP and also someone who has done many Disney trips without it. I can comment on the value of both. When we got our APs (It was 2 days after we closed on our house) It was a huge savings, and well worth the money spent to my family and I. I do understand others may not see the value, and I think that is what this thread is all about. Yes, there will always also be people who can not afford it. As far as a full blown Disney vacation, I still see the value in it. I have spent the same or more for trips to Mexico, the Caribbean, or cruises. Is Disney expensive? It sure is, but worth every penny if you plan it right.

parkhopper1213

For many people that locks them into WDW as their only vacation option if they go the AP route. It is out of may peoples budget with kids.
I am a single parent, so I knew how much the trip was going to cost and set savings goals for it. We had a daily trip budget for food and stuff. Never felt like we were missing out on anything. We went on 24 Disney trips and have a ton of great memories. Son at college now, and we'll be going for winter break. Can't wait! He is interested in the college intern program.

I am Timmy

Yes. We can travel in Europe for 3 weeks for the price of twelve days at Disney (flying from west coast, 4 people). Having said that, the next question for me is: Is it worth it? YES. I know this because my family has done both, more than once. But, we keep going back to the World, over and over, because we love it too much. You know the love is real when your'e planning your next trip back as soon as you get home from your vacation. We're Disney fans, what can I say?

Megamazing

In the Parks
Yes
I agree with you that it’s not “expensive” when you look at what you get. You also have to know how to plan a vacation the right way. I do all our vacation planning because I know how to find the best deals. Our Disneymoon cost us $2000, with a dining plan (free) for a week. Which is pretty good! Our next trip is twice that but I added some extras. Although, still not a bad price IMO for what you get. I think the prices of Disney are totally worth it.

Darth Figment

You think the parks are crowded now , imagine if it were cheaper. I had to save for 2 yrs to go on my 1st trip ( as in me myself paying for it ) with my girlfriend . It was worth it !!!!

Clamman73

It's not too bad for me when I do the solo thing. I stay at the Values with a room discount, buy some supplies at the gas station, eat at quick services, buy Park tickets at a deal, try to get a cheap air fare...but the only thing that's throwing a wrench this fall trip is car rental cost which is higher than normal.

graphite1326

This may sound like a silly question but I will explain:

I think the term "expensive" almost implies that something is not worth the money. I often hear friends of mine say that going to WDW is "too expensive" and therefore they will never go. For me, it is 100% worth the money and I think the prices are fair considering what you get out of it. It bothers me that people will completely shut down a trip to the world simply because of the money, but will happily travel to other places.

This past May, my boyfriend and I were finally interested in trying out an all-inclusive trip to somewhere like Cuba or Mexico. We priced it all out: the resort, airfare, experiences, transportation, etc. We looked at the amount and said "well, we might as well go to Disney instead!" as the trips were roughly the same cost.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
I couldn't have put it better myself. We recently took a trip to New Orleans. It ended up costing us more than a Disney trip. Plus it wasn't like you can just walk out to the bus station and have them take you where you want to go. One of the main reasons I like going to WDW is when I get to the airport I hand over my luggage and pretty much relax because my vacation has started.

MAGICFLOP

Expensive is a relative term, for a family of 4 making 20K per year, it is too expensive, yet for the same family making 200K it is pretty darn cheap.
The real question should be is it affordable to the average family?
My answer is, that it is leaving the affordability rang. My proof, because last year Disney raised prices and the attendance dropped in 13 out of 14 parks globally..

Damon7777

Careful with your proof or 'cause and effect'......you might be right; but then you might be mistaken too. I don't see how you can safely conclude that based on what you wrote.

There are other factors aside from price hikes that could account for a decrease in attendance. For example as for WDW would be travelers had concerns with: mass shooting and terror, zeka scare, Brazilian turmoil, UK out of EU, crocodilian dragging and drowning a kid at the lake bank at GF Hotel.

Damon7777

On a side note there are 12 Disney branded parks. WDC has 10 parks and Oriental Land Co has 2. Not sure where you got 14. Maybe you are counting Typhoon and Blizzard?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom