Is Coronado the new moderate mold?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
Because I'd be okay with it - if it was.

A lot of options when compared to other moderates.

Toledo (Signature), Three Bridges (casual), Rix's (casual/sports bar), Maya (tweener between casual and signature), The Barcelona Lounge, The Dahlia Lounge (where the views are great), The outdoor bar on the lake, the food court, the pool bar. A few really good options.

When compared to POR/FQ = they have Boatwrights, 2 lounges, 2 Food Courts, and a pool bar. That's basically it.

I'm hoping that Disney takes a look at the options at the other moderates - and aligns with what they did at CSR.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

CSR differs from the other moderates in that it caters to business travelers/conventioneers. Gran Destino Tower was designed specifically for this clientele, which is why it was built with a rooftop restaurant and two lounges. Three Bridges was also added to attract businesses.The existing sports bar and fitness center were created from the beginning with the needs of the business traveler in mind.

The Port Orleans Resorts and Caribbean Beach (which were built before CSR) are family friendly vacation resorts. They were not constructed as convention resorts. At that time Disney focused their convention centers at Deluxe resorts (CR, GF, YC/BC). When Disney discovered they could attract conventions at a lower price point, CSR was born.

With all the money just spent on CSR additions/refurbishments, there is likely no financial incentive to make similar changes to the other moderates in order to “mold” them into CSR lookalikes, since there are two distinct target audiences.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
CSR differs from the other moderates in that it caters to business travelers/conventioneers. Gran Destino Tower was designed specifically for this clientele, which is why it was built with a rooftop restaurant and two lounges. Three Bridges was also added to attract businesses.The existing sports bar and fitness center were created from the beginning with the needs of the business traveler in mind.

The Port Orleans Resorts and Caribbean Beach (which were built before CSR) are family friendly vacation resorts. They were not constructed as convention resorts. At that time Disney focused their convention centers at Deluxe resorts (CR, GF, YC/BC). When Disney discovered they could attract conventions at a lower price point, CSR was born.

With all the money just spent on CSR additions/refurbishments, there is likely no financial incentive to make similar changes to the other moderates in order to “mold” them into CSR lookalikes, since there are two distinct target audiences.

Understood. But.... Riviera (which is unofficially attached to CBR) will bring those type options to guests staying both at Riviera and CBR. With SSR you can almost make the argument that DS is a part of the those options.

So at that point only OKW and POR/FQ will be severely lacking. They're going to have to do something with those.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Understood. But.... Riviera (which is unofficially attached to CBR) will bring those type options to guests staying both at Riviera and CBR. With SSR you can almost make the argument that DS is a part of the those options.

So at that point only OKW and POR/FQ will be lacking. They're going to have to do something with those.
So is your complaint a lack of restaurants and lounges?

If the resorts as they are now are close to capacity throughout the year, Disney has no reason to add amenities as they already have a captive audience. POFQ closed its table service restaurant years ago because the cost to operate it was higher than revenue received. Boatwrights stopped serving breakfast for the same reason.

And OKW, POR, POFQ all have convenient boat (and bus) access to Disney Springs. SS also has boat service, because not all buildings are within walking distance to DS.

And since tone is not always clear in the written word, I am not trying to start an argument by disagreeing with you. You make a valid point. But ultimately every decision Disney makes involves revenue. If there is no money to be made by making improvements, there’s no reason to do so. Guests who want the amenities you mentioned will choose to stay at CSR. Others who don’t like the business/adult vibe will continue to patronize the other mods. When occupancy levels drop, only then will be the potential for change.

Tuvalu

Where did I complain? And yes. Additional dinning options would be welcome at all moderates.....considering POFQ has only a food court.
I didn’t mean “complain” in the whiny sense, but in the sense you consider a lack of restaurants and lounges unsatisfactory.

You’d like more dining options at the moderates. So would many others. I would like an option of more variety and less Cajun food at POFQ when I am staying there for an entire week. I get what you’re saying.

But the bottom line is still money. And if Disney isn’t losing money with their current business plan, the incentive for change just isn’t there.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
I get - what you are saying. And I understand the Disney mentality somewhat.

But the bottom line is still money. And if Disney isn’t losing money with their current business plan, the incentive for change just isn’t there.

But if this is how Disney truly views it. Then there are bigger problems. Once you adopt a "well as long as we don't lose money" rather than a "how much additional incremental revenue can we make....and how does that factor into keeping the guest on-site" mentality......then the battle is already lost.

FWIW - I want more options so I can stay on-property. Not to go outside of it for dinner.

As an example: My recent stay at CSR. I ate at Toledo, Three Bridges, and Cafe Rix. Three out of five nights I stayed and had dinner on property. Plus I hung out at Dahlia. I stay frequently at POR/FQ. Can't tell you the last time I ate at Boatwrights. But I do know last trip to POR I ate at FishBones on I-Drive.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

I get - what you are saying. And I understand the Disney mentality somewhat.

But if this is how Disney truly views it. Then there are bigger problems. Once you adopt a "well as long as we don't lose money" rather than a "how much additional incremental revenue can we make....and how does that factor into keeping the guest on-site" mentality......then the battle is already lost.

FWIW - I want more options so I can stay on-property. Not to go outside of it for dinner.
To clarify, that “how can we make more money” is absolutely taken into consideration. If Disney felt there was more revenue to be gained by adding dining options to POR/FQ they would.

But the closure of FQ’s restaurant and reduced dining times at Boatwrights speaks volumes. 😉

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
But the closure of FQ’s restaurant and reduced dining times at Boatwrights speaks volumes

If you have 1 restaurant....shared by 2 resorts (one being a rather, rather large one) - and you have to reduce dining times. The problem may not be the resort. Just sayin'.

Why Disney never did a tie-in with Brennan's for POR/FQ/Dixie Landings- is beyond me.

And I'll speak from personal experience. I stay at POR or FQ once or twice a year. I'd love to stay and eat at the resort. But I don't care for Boatwright's. So I take a boat to DS and eat there. - I feel there are many who do the same.

So it's not a question of filling a restaurant. It's a question of filling the right restaurant.

Last edited:

correcaminos

So at that point only OKW and POR/FQ will be severely lacking. They're going to have to do something with those.
Neither SSR nor OKW are moderates. Not even close to them. They are both a boat ride or a walk away from DS. Both have more amenities than moderates as well. Not sure why these are in your arguments at all.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Before the renovations, my Coronado room in 2016 had a severe mold problem around the tub, right thru the wall area and into the carpet between bed and wall. They probably bleached/disinfected the areas in between guests so while it wasn't too musty upon arrival, by day 4 and 5 we could visually watch it grow thru the hours during those hot & humid August days. The smell the last day helped us not lament going home.

Don't know who thought there'd be no issues building un-sturdy tiled boxes at the foot of tubs in that resort. Essentially they were very efficient mold farms once pressure from a leg or bathing child easily cracked a box joint and allowed constant water seepage during showers. Common room problem, glad they fixed that. Oh, we were talking about the other definition of mold? :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom