Is anyone from the Disney family still involved with the company?

Walt Disney1955

I guess I take more time off these boards than I think once in a while, I didn't even know Diane Disney Miller had died. That's too bad. I always like it when there is a tie to Walt and Diane was pretty much the last one. The grandkids wouldn't have known Walt for very long.

R W B

Doubtful. Retlaw sold Walt's name and likeness [back] to the Company in the early 1980s along with the Disneyland assets.
So your saying no one with the Disney family makes a dime from Disney? Somebody didn't have a good lawyer when they needed one.

lazyboy97o

So your saying no one with the Disney family makes a dime from Disney? Somebody didn't have a good lawyer when they needed one.
They still hold stock but it is no longer a sizable percentage. The name and likeness of Walt Disney were licensed by Walt Disney Productions from Walt Disney's family via Retlaw from the 1950s to the 1980s. Those rights were sold [back] to Walt Disney Productions when Ron Miller was running the company, likely as a show of goodwill towards Roy's side of the family (who would shortly afterward have him ousted).

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Someday if im rhich enough I will buy out the entire Disney company. The prices will drop. Ine company will be a non profit union where many Americans can get good jobs and benefits. All the excess money and profit will go towards expansion, restoration and the rest will be stored away for hard times to avoid cutbacks and layoffs. Epcot will be Epcot Center again, and all letters and outside output and criticism will be heard and Walt Disneys dream will be bought back to life.

Last edited:

fractal

Someday if im rhich enough I will buy out the entire Disney company. The prices will drop. Ine company will be a non profit union where many Americans can get good jobs and benefits. All the excess money and profit will go towards expansion, restoration and the rest will be stored away for hard times to avoid cutbacks and layoffs. Epcot will be Epcot Center again, and all letters and outside output and criticism will be heard and Walt Disneys dream will be bought back to life.

Rich enough means about $100 billion. Good luck with that.

Hussein sharif

Hi im new. I hope peaple still read this. Because I have somthing to say..

I may be a small person with huge dreams. And even though im only 22 and dont mean anything to a massive company like disney. I belive I can make a change. I am studying at university to work for the walt disney company. When I found out that there are no more disney family members and that diane disney miller had died last year I got very upset.
I am so concerned about the welfare of the company I plan to get as high as I can go in the walt disney company so I can make a change to ensure that walts legacy will not be destroyed.....walt disney world was his dream and I dont whant to see it become another company that has shut down.... when I get to this stage I need peaple who will help me make the right decisions. Thats all you guys.... I really do care about what happens with the parks and the other facilities disney offers. But ill need help getting there. AS LONG AS THERES A VOICE THEY WILL LISTEN.
Hello there i know this comment is old but i just want to say i like you and your idea and i want to say i'm with you and i put my voice with your voice and i wish you luck

Walt Disney1955

Does it bode well for Disney that the family isn't part of the operations anymore? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I know nothing lasts forever but I always thought even having Roy Disney Jr. around made it a little more authentic knowing someone who knew Walt very well and whose own father was directly involved in things was a positive thing. I have heard the Disney family doesn't own shares anymore either, so I am guessing that it sort of something that they do to show how they aren't pleased with things, perhaps?

ppete1975

Roy Edward Disney, KCSG (January 10, 1930 – December 16, 2009)[1] was a longtime senior executive for The Walt Disney Company, which his father, Roy Oliver Disney, and his uncle Walt Disney founded. At the time of his death he was a shareholder (more than 16 million shares or about 1%),[2] and served as a consultant for the company and Director Emeritus for the Board of Directors. He is perhaps best known for organizing the ousting of two top Disney executives: first, Ron Miller in 1984, and then Michael Eisner in 2005.

As the last member of the Disney family to be actively involved in the company, Roy Disney was often compared to his uncle and father. In 2006, Forbes magazine estimated his personal fortune at about $1.2 billion

Gretsocal

Hi im new. I hope peaple still read this. Because I have somthing to say..

I may be a small person with huge dreams. And even though im only 22 and dont mean anything to a massive company like disney. I belive I can make a change. I am studying at university to work for the walt disney company. When I found out that there are no more disney family members and that diane disney miller had died last year I got very upset.
I am so concerned about the welfare of the company I plan to get as high as I can go in the walt disney company so I can make a change to ensure that walts legacy will not be destroyed.....walt disney world was his dream and I dont whant to see it become another company that has shut down.... when I get to this stage I need peaple who will help me make the right decisions. Thats all you guys.... I really do care about what happens with the parks and the other facilities disney offers. But ill need help getting there. AS LONG AS THERES A VOICE THEY WILL LISTEN.
Yes! Please save Disney!!!!! My dad was a musician there at Disneyland in Anaheim over 42 years ago. I still love all things Disney. I will be heading to Disneyworld finally next year for my granddaughters cheerleading competition.

JoeCamel

Yes! Please save Disney!!!!! My dad was a musician there at Disneyland in Anaheim over 42 years ago. I still love all things Disney. I will be heading to Disneyworld finally next year for my granddaughters cheerleading competition.
Think he did?
Post you quoted was 7 years ago. You are the judge now

Goofyernmost

Roy Edward Disney, KCSG (January 10, 1930 – December 16, 2009)[1] was a longtime senior executive for The Walt Disney Company, which his father, Roy Oliver Disney, and his uncle Walt Disney founded. At the time of his death he was a shareholder (more than 16 million shares or about 1%),[2] and served as a consultant for the company and Director Emeritus for the Board of Directors. He is perhaps best known for organizing the ousting of two top Disney executives: first, Ron Miller in 1984, and then Michael Eisner in 2005.

As the last member of the Disney family to be actively involved in the company, Roy Disney was often compared to his uncle and father. In 2006, Forbes magazine estimated his personal fortune at about $1.2 billion
If that net worth is true, he acquired that mostly by being born. Compared to Walt or his Father Roy, he was nothing. He didn't know how to run the company and managed to get Ron Miller, his cousin in law by virtue of the fact that Ron was married to Walt's Daughter, taken out of the head position. He might have been instrumental along with the actual brains behind the Save Disney movement, his friend Stanley Gold, when the Company was in real danger of being taken over by hostile means and the company sold off and ultimately becoming pieces parts. I suspect his name endorsing the change helped but on his own I think we would all be buying pieces of Small World on eBay. Anyway that in conjunction with Michael Eisner managed to keep the company by making Eisner the head cheese (as it were). Roy and Friends were also responsible for getting rid of Eisner and replacing him with Bob Iger.

Many had high hopes that Iger would concentrate on the parks, but Iger focused on the company as a whole and invested in many things that were diversified and got The Disney Company to a very secure financial point that enabled it to continue on through a number of economic downturns. Roy by himself, really wanted to be as good as his Uncle Walt and his Dad, but fell very short of that ability.

Personally, I think that through the years Roy Jr. was treated very badly even by his Uncle Walt, but he just didn't have whatever was necessary to be an effective leader.

Walt Disney1955

If that net worth is true, he acquired that mostly by being born. Compared to Walt or his Father Roy, he was nothing. He didn't know how to run the company and managed to get Ron Miller, his cousin in law by virtue of the fact that Ron was married to Walt's Daughter, taken out of the head position. He might have been instrumental along with the actual brains behind the Save Disney movement, his friend Stanley Gold, when the Company was in real danger of being taken over by hostile means and the company sold off and ultimately becoming pieces parts. I suspect his name endorsing the change helped but on his own I think we would all be buying pieces of Small World on eBay. Anyway that in conjunction with Michael Eisner managed to keep the company by making Eisner the head cheese (as it were). Roy and Friends were also responsible for getting rid of Eisner and replacing him with Bob Iger.

Many had high hopes that Iger would concentrate on the parks, but Iger focused on the company as a whole and invested in many things that were diversified and got The Disney Company to a very secure financial point that enabled it to continue on through a number of economic downturns. Roy by himself, really wanted to be as good as his Uncle Walt and his Dad, but fell very short of that ability.

Personally, I think that through the years Roy Jr. was treated very badly even by his Uncle Walt, but he just didn't have whatever was necessary to be an effective leader.

Roy always looked a LOT like Walt, and Roy of course. But he really could have been marketed as sort of another Walt, if he had the same sort of chops as his uncle.

Here are a couple of little known facts about Roy Disney Jr. I guess he set a speed boat racing record from Los Angeles to Honolulu (7 days 11 hours) back in 1999. He'd have been 69 then, so good for him. He was also married for 52 years up until 2007, then got a divorce from his wife (sad to see a marriage end after so long) and then got remarried until his death in 2009.

Lastly, I always wondered, what was the relationship he had with Ron and Diane (Disney) Miller after 1984 when he helped Ron get replaced by Eisner? Roy and Diane were 1st cousins, and even though both of their dads were gone by then I have to wonder how their relationship carried on after this? He was alive for 25 more years afterwards. Just have never heard anything one way or another. Was it mutual? No hard feelings? Or did it split the family up?

ArmoredRodent

For more information on this fascinating story, read the book "Storming the Kingdom" and google the Los Angeles Times article of the same name from 1987. There were a lot of things going on there, but if you're looking for the people who actually saved Disney from being broken up, you need to look at the role played by the Bass Brothers from Ft. Worth, Texas. It was always about the investors. Brief excerpt from the LATimes story, which is quite long, and came from a time when the Times was a reliable source:
We’ve talked to all the large shareholders, Ray,” Bass said, “and so far they all say that they want Eisner and Wells. That’s 40% of the outstanding stock. So why are you going through this exercise of considering Stanfill? Don’t do that, Ray. We’ve got the votes to elect brand-new directors. The new directors will fire the guy you’ve just hired and hire the guys we want to hire. Why go through all this pain?”
“A majority of the board is opposed to Eisner,” Watson said.
“Listen to 40% of your shareholders,” Bass said. “Why are you ignoring all of these people? We’ve talked and talked and talked, and you can’t convince us.”
Shortly thereafter, Bass called Gold. “What can I do to help you?” Bass asked.
“You’re doing everything you can,” Gold said. “Just keep up the support.”

ppete1975

lol i forgot that post from 4 years ago

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom