Is anyone else concerned about the Aladdin Teaser?

Scrooged

Original Poster

Is anyone else concerned at how flat and badly rendered Will smith looks as Genie?

Maybe this is a rose colored glasses situation for me, but this looks absolutely atrocious. Then again- it’s only a 1:20 teaser....

DisneyJoe

Is anyone else concerned at how flat and badly rendered Will smith looks as Genie?

Maybe this is a rose colored glasses situation for me, but this looks absolutely atrocious. Then again- it’s only a 1:20 teaser....

and you only see Genie for a few seconds, who had just materialized? I think a better clip is needed before I pass judgement.

Scrooged

Original Poster
and you only see Genie for a few seconds, who had just materialized? I think a better clip is needed before I pass judgement.
True. I hope there are some improvements that we aren’t seeing yet. It’s just so hard to fill the shoes of Robin Williams. Like I said, rose colored glasses.

lazyboy97o

It is now completely normal for visual effects work to continue until right before a movie has its theatrical release. It is also not unusual for the filmmakers to be uninvolved with the marketing, including cutting together trailers.

Scrooged

Original Poster
It is now completely normal for visual effects work to continue until right before a movie has its theatrical release. It is also not unusual for the filmmakers to be uninvolved with the marketing, including cutting together trailers.
Noted. However, it seems that the casting is weird and the tone for this particular teaser is off. I hope that that’s not the case but I am underwhelmed.

Scrooged

Original Poster
I continue to find it strange they are blowing through Aladdin and Lion King in the same year. And yeah this looks kind of terrible.
My thoughts exactly. I surprised they are releasing both in the same year- and if the quality of teaser trailers is any indication (which is isn’t) “The Lion King” looks like a much more competently put together teaser.

erasure fan1

Even if they work up until the night before, it's not going to help. No amount of tweaking is going to change the fact that it's just blue Will Smith in my opinion. "Genie, wishes, lamp, none of dat ringing a bell?" It just doesn't fit.

Scrooged

Original Poster
Even if they work up until the night before, it's not going to help. No amount of tweaking is going to change the fact that it's just blue Will Smith in my opinion. "Genie, wishes, lamp, none of dat ringing a bell?" It just doesn't fit.
That’s exactly what I’m worried about. :/ Aladdin was a hit because of Robin williams.... not sure if this will translate at all.

Princess Leia

Aladdin on Broadway seems to be doing fine without Robin Williams, probably because they weren’t trying to make the Genie like him. If it wasn’t for the iffy looking CGI in progress, I don’t think we’d be talking about Will Smith at all right now.

Scrooged

Original Poster
Aladdin on Broadway seems to be doing fine without Robin Williams, probably because they weren’t trying to make the Genie like him. If it wasn’t for the iffy looking CGI in progress, I don’t think we’d be talking about Will Smith at all right now.
I agree. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be as bad as it looks. Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney flicks. I'm just underwhelmed at this point. Once again, way too early to tell.

999th Happy Haunt

Anyone know when the original Aladdin is supposed to come out of the Disney Vault? Really want to watch it again before the new one comes out, but I only have it on VHS, which nothing plays anymore 😕

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom