Is a Disney cruise worth it?

rk03221

Original Poster
I want to take my family on a Disney cruise in dec 2022-January 2023. With everything we’ve been hearing regarding the state of the parks we decided to do a cruise instead and hope it would be a better experience. My wife and I are former cms and have heard nothing about great things about DCL during our time with Disney.

Would you guys say that DCL would be worth it? Or is Disney using the same practices with cruises as they are the parks? If you know what I mean.

This would be a 7 day cruise, also with a 2 year old. Thanks!

ChuckElias

While Mr. Ferret's answer is undoubtedly true, it's not particularly helpful to you. I can only tell you that my family has sailed DCL multiple times and have loved it every single time. It's expensive, yes, certainly more expensive than Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, or Celebrity for the same itineraries. But we have found that we love the atmosphere, the crew members, and the level of service is the best of any cruise line we've been on. So for us, a Disney cruise is definitely worth it -- under normal non-COVID conditions.

But I think you're asking if the experience will be seriously altered by COVID protocols. And sadly, I can't answer that question. I haven't sailed at all since cruising has resumed post-COVID. I know that there are testing and masking requirements, but I haven't had to go through them, so I don't know how they impact the experience. But I can tell you that I'm scheduled to sail on the Dream in April -- and I'm going on that cruise regardless of the protocols! Can't wait.

Let us know what you decide! :)

Phonedave

I will use my stock answer here.

DCL cruises are in many cases slightly above what you can get from other cruise lines (I'm taking similar major lines, not boutique lines, those are different beast altogether) and slightly, nothing significant

DCL cruises are also much more expensive than those other cruise lines.

The difference between DCL and other cruise lines does not justify the difference in price

EXCEPT in two cases.

1) With kids. DCL goes above and beyond anything any other cruise line does for kids.

2) If for some reason Disney is your "thing" to an extensive degree - you love Disney, you have a Disney themed house, you go to the Shareholder meeting, you listen to podcasts, you have been an AP holder for the last 20 years, you have Chapek on speed dial, etc. In that case, no amount of cost is going to change how you feel

If you are planning to use the features of a DCL cruise that makes it so great for kids with your child, then I do think it is worth it.

ChuckElias

you love Disney,
Check. . .
you have a Disney themed house,
Check. . .
you go to the Shareholder meeting,
Not this one. . .

you listen to podcasts,
What if you MAKE Disney podcasts???
you have been an AP holder for the last 20 years,
Check (prior to covid). . .

you have Chapek on speed dial, etc.
No, but I did correspond with Karl Holz for a while. Does that count. . .? :D

EOD K9

I've been on nine and have had three canceled (first world problems). We have two scheduled next year. My wife and I took two cruises before we had children and their first cruise was at ten months old. @Phonedave makes excellent points. I don't have experience with other lines, but we do feel that service and cleanliness go above and beyond. Being as the fleet is small, we have had members of the nursery staff remember my kids over the years as well as seeing them on other ships.
Nobody is going to say that DCL fares are cheap, however, if you feel that you had a great time, then the money is worth it. We went to the parks this year for twelve days and had a blast, partially because FP was not around. Normally, we will stay in the bubble (DVC) and maybe hit one park before the cruise. However, most people will agree that the company is nickel and diming everyone in the parks. Cruises, to us anyway, don't feel like that. Your sea going nautical mileage may vary.

rk03221

Original Poster
However, most people will agree that the company is nickel and diming everyone in the parks. Cruises, to us anyway, don't feel like tha

That’s what we want. We are totally okay with spending the money to go on a DCL but not if they are nickel and diming people and going cheap like they are the parks. I’ve heard from many cruise goers that Disney is the gold standard for the industry. I’m just wondering if it’s still like that, which if it is we’ll go on one.

Phonedave

That’s what we want. We are totally okay with spending the money to go on a DCL but not if they are nickel and diming people and going cheap like they are the parks. I’ve heard from many cruise goers that Disney is the gold standard for the industry. I’m just wondering if it’s still like that, which if it is we’ll go on one.

The only place where I feel they are a bit on the money grab side is with alcohol. I think the reason they do it is to discourage people from drinking to excess, which I believe is a good thing.

I am not normally a big drinker, but when I am on vacation, especially on a cruise, I enjoy an alcoholic beverage now and then. I may have a drink in the early afternoon poolside, a cocktail before dinner, wine with dinner, and perhaps a drink during the show. This is not everyday, but its not uncommon for me (again when on vacation). With other cruise lines that do beverage packages, you are paying one price. Disney charges you every time you turn around. The also sell the wine package, which gives me flashbacks of the Disney Dining Plan (that's not a good thing)

If you don't drink, or drink extremely limited amounts, then this is not an issue. Also, as I said, I don't think they are doing it to nickel and dime people, but it sure feels like it.

If I am on an all expense included vacation, I like to have all expenses included. Even if I have to pay extra for a drink plan, I like having it paid for (which is the opposite of my feelings of the DDP oddly enough)

The free soda on a DCL cruise does nothing for me either, I very very rarely drink soda. I know for some people that is a huge draw, but if I want something to drink that's non-alcoholic, I usually have water or I am at the bar ordering a seltzer or club soda with lime.

lostpro9het

The only place where I feel they are a bit on the money grab side is with alcohol. I think the reason they do it is to discourage people from drinking to excess, which I believe is a good thing.
I’ll disagree with you here and say Disney’s mindset has nothing to do with discouragement of libations and everything to do with profit. While my open bar cruising is limited to two itineraries, one 5-night and one 7-night, I've never seen drinking issues on board. Granted neither experience was on Carnival or Royal so maybe that plays into it. I do believe the clientele on DCL could manage an open bar far better than the clientele visiting the parks. This, of course, is just one fools opinion with a few sailings under their belt.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We were just on a DCL cruise a few weeks ago, and think it's worth every penny. A few things to remember. At the present time, you do have to wear masks anytime you are indoors unless eating or drinking. No masks required outside at all. No one knows when this restriction will be lifted, but should be gone by the time your cruise comes up. Next. Every person over the age of 12 has to be fully vaccinated by the date of the cruise, and every single person, regardless of vaccination status, has to take a COVID test at the port, and if even one person in your sailing party pops positive, your entire party will not be allowed to sail. In addition, all children under the age of 12 have to have a negative test 3-10 days prior to sailing as well. You will have to pay for this test, but Disney is paying for the test at the port. Again, since your cruise is not until Dec 2022 or so, it's is entirely possible that all of these restrictions will be totally gone.

The CMs on the ship are no less than spectacular. It is first class service all the way everywhere, and the crew looks happy to be there to make your cruise an awesome experience. All the CMs we interacted with were smiling, and all were friendly and helpful. They are really glad to be cruising again and to welcome guests back on board the ship.

I kinda disagree with @Phonedave about the alcohol being an obvious money grab. Yes, the alcohol is not included, but I think that the prices were not out of line with what you got. We never saw one person that had indulged too much in the good stuff. If you drink wine, you can bring 2 bottles per person onto the ship. We enjoy adult beverages, and even went to a mixology class and different tastings. We thought they were worth every penny.

Our kids are grown and married (we took our youngest son and his wife on the cruise), so we haven't experienced the kids areas, but everything we've read say that they are the best in the cruise industry. Someone with younger kids can answer that better than I.

So long read, but final note - if you choose DCL, you will not be disappointed!! Oh, and I am NOT a CM or Disney employee. This is totally unbiased and my opinion.

rk03221

Original Poster
We were just on a DCL cruise a few weeks ago, and think it's worth every penny. A few things to remember. At the present time, you do have to wear masks anytime you are indoors unless eating or drinking. No masks required outside at all. No one knows when this restriction will be lifted, but should be gone by the time your cruise comes up. Next. Every person over the age of 12 has to be fully vaccinated by the date of the cruise, and every single person, regardless of vaccination status, has to take a COVID test at the port, and if even one person in your sailing party pops positive, your entire party will not be allowed to sail. In addition, all children under the age of 12 have to have a negative test 3-10 days prior to sailing as well. You will have to pay for this test, but Disney is paying for the test at the port. Again, since your cruise is not until Dec 2022 or so, it's is entirely possible that all of these restrictions will be totally gone.

The CMs on the ship are no less than spectacular. It is first class service all the way everywhere, and the crew looks happy to be there to make your cruise an awesome experience. All the CMs we interacted with were smiling, and all were friendly and helpful. They are really glad to be cruising again and to welcome guests back on board the ship.

I kinda disagree with @Phonedave about the alcohol being an obvious money grab. Yes, the alcohol is not included, but I think that the prices were not out of line with what you got. We never saw one person that had indulged too much in the good stuff. If you drink wine, you can bring 2 bottles per person onto the ship. We enjoy adult beverages, and even went to a mixology class and different tastings. We thought they were worth every penny.

Our kids are grown and married (we took our youngest son and his wife on the cruise), so we haven't experienced the kids areas, but everything we've read say that they are the best in the cruise industry. Someone with younger kids can answer that better than I.

So long read, but final note - if you choose DCL, you will not be disappointed!! Oh, and I am NOT a CM or Disney employee. This is totally unbiased and my opinion.
Thanks for the reply. I listen to the Dis podcast every week and Pete said that DCL and wdw are so different, that it’s almost like DCL is a completely different company (in a good way). I’ve heard nothing bad about DCL so I think that’s what we’ll do.

RememberWhen

Just a quick thought (as someone with younger kids and a cruise planned for February 22) currently the nursery isn’t open. I imagine by December 2022 that shouldn’t be a problem, but thought I’d throw it out there. Also, currently, for the regular kids club, you have to reserve time slots. The kids club is for 3+, so if your kiddo is 2, you’d need the nursery for child care for a fancy dinner or adult pool time.

KeithVH

I think it will be difficult to predict exactly what next winter will look like. Especially as far as experiences go. We're already hearing crew rumors about so things getting back to a more "normal" situation in the next few months (Palo brunch for example).

For Disney fans, yes, it is worth it. For us, we now spend our $$ on the ship. 42 days total in the last 4 years. The math for us works out to ~27-28% more; don't forget meals are included. Considering what the park's experiences have been like in the last few years (I won't even get into declining by degrees thingy), we consider the money well spent. If you're a park fanboi/grl, it may be questionable.

But it is tough to describe to a first-timer. It really wouldn't hurt to do a short one as a trial if you can.

Ulysses McGill

Is Disney worth it? After 9 sailings for me, I say absolutely, yes. I've sailed Carnival multiple times and my wife had been on a bunch of Princess cruises. In my experience, it's much cheaper to board many other cruise lines. But by the time you do all the add-ons (soda package, dining upgrade, etc) that would put it on par with a Disney cruise, you end up paying nearly the same cost, or sometimes MORE, anyway.

You get a slightly larger cabin for the price. There is also MUCH more included with your fare, including little to major things like just how much nicer the beds are, even down to the linens. How much more well-kept and clean the ship is. Things that you don't typically look for while you're busy having fun. I'd also argue the customer service and amenities, in general, are significantly better than other lines, until you start comparing to the likes of Regent or Virgin, which are also priced about the same, or higher, in a lot of cases.

But don't sleep on little things like all your non-alcoholic drinks being included (soda, water, etc.). The alcoholic beverage prices aren't unfair compared to other lines, and are about the same in general.

Another thing I appreciate about DCL, with or without kids, is that they actually have an adults only section with a pool and bar. So even if you are traveling with your children, you have somewhere to go to relax in a much quite and relaxed zone.

Phonedave

I’ll disagree with you here and say Disney’s mindset has nothing to do with discouragement of libations and everything to do with profit. While my open bar cruising is limited to two itineraries, one 5-night and one 7-night, I've never seen drinking issues on board. Granted neither experience was on Carnival or Royal so maybe that plays into it. I do believe the clientele on DCL could manage an open bar far better than the clientele visiting the parks. This, of course, is just one fools opinion with a few sailings under their belt.

I have made this argument as well. My open bar cruising does not involve Carnival or Royal either. I have not seen the drunken rowdiness that others report.

Maybe I am just giving DCL the benefit of the doubt with their package policy.

Phonedave

I had said it was NOT a money grab, but a way to cut back on consumption because they are a family venu.

Others disagreed with me and said they think it is a money grab.

Either way, it is still a drawback in my opinion.

Oh, and those two bottles of wine per person that you can bring. If you want to drink them in the dining room, there is a $25 per bottle corkage fee. I am starting to lean more to the money grab side of the house.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Oh, and those two bottles of wine per person that you can bring. If you want to drink them in the dining room, there is a $25 per bottle corkage fee. I am starting to lean more to the money grab side of the house.
We use those on our verandah in the evenings. No way would we pay $25 for them to open our bottle. Though to be honest, that isn't out of line with other higher end restaurants that charge about the same or even more in some cases.

Phonedave

Is Disney worth it? After 9 sailings for me, I say absolutely, yes. I've sailed Carnival multiple times and my wife had been on a bunch of Princess cruises. In my experience, it's much cheaper to board many other cruise lines. But by the time you do all the add-ons (soda package, dining upgrade, etc) that would put it on par with a Disney cruise, you end up paying nearly the same cost, or sometimes MORE, anyway.

You get a slightly larger cabin for the price. There is also MUCH more included with your fare, including little to major things like just how much nicer the beds are, even down to the linens. How much more well-kept and clean the ship is. Things that you don't typically look for while you're busy having fun. I'd also argue the customer service and amenities, in general, are significantly better than other lines, until you start comparing to the likes of Regent or Virgin, which are also priced about the same, or higher, in a lot of cases.

But don't sleep on little things like all your non-alcoholic drinks being included (soda, water, etc.). The alcoholic beverage prices aren't unfair compared to other lines, and are about the same in general.

Another thing I appreciate about DCL, with or without kids, is that they actually have an adults only section with a pool and bar. So even if you are traveling with your children, you have somewhere to go to relax in a much quite and relaxed zone.

When I compare it to Celebrity I see the following

Significantly less expensive
With the pick your perks there is no upcharge for a drink package
For the upgraded dining you are looking at the same charges DCL has for Paolo
If the cleanliness and upkeep of the DCL ship is 100, then Celebrity is a 98. DCL is better, but marginally better.
I have had the same great service, and same not-so-great service on both cruise lines. Seriously, one of my most unsatisfactory customer service issues happened on a DCL cruise.
There are certain amenities on Celebrity that are better than DCL.
The Thalassotherapy pool and area on Celebrity cruises are kids free. They also actually enforce it. While there is no bar in the Thalassotherapy area, the stewards that are in the area full time are more than happy to go get you a drink (or you can walk 50 feet to get it yourself) They also actually enforce no saving of chairs. This is something DCL does NOT do in my experience - kids in the kid free zone, and chairs reserved starting at 6 AM

Phonedave

We use those on our verandah in the evenings. No way would we pay $25 for them to open our bottle. Though to be honest, that isn't out of line with other higher end restaurants that charge about the same or even more in some cases.

Right, but it is hardly the great thing people make it out to be. If you want wine with dinner, you are either paying by the bottle or glass, or getting charged a corkage fee. If you want something different than what you happened to bring, you are also out of luck or opening your wallet again.

The individual drink prices on DCL are in line with what other lines charge for individual drinks. But the drink package makes things much much cheaper. That is where DCL is making it's money on alcohol.

Also, that is an other hassle, packing or purchasing bottles of wine. If you are local that is one thing, but if you are flying it just add another layer.

ChuckElias

That's true, but you can go to any bar or lounge and they'll give a wine glass. Then you can pour your wine and take it with you to dinner. I don't have an opinion on "money grab vs. limiting consumption". Just letting people know there's a fairly easy workaround to the corkage fee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom