Is a Day in Disneyland Worth It

Australian Dad

Hi

I’m planning to take my teens to WDW. We will fly via LA.

Should I:

(a) spend 1 day at Disneyland and 7 at WDW; or

(b) 8 at WDW?

They are big Star Wars fans so if there is something Star Wars in California that’s not in Orlando that may be some incentive to go 1+7 instead of 0+8.

Thanks.

NelleBelle

Agree with @JIMINYCR! Even the attractions that are at both parks, there are quite a few differences in them. Small World has a few differences, Pirates is WAY better as is Space Mountain. Fantasyland has different attractions as well. If it were me, I’d do DL over Cali. Adventure if you only have one day. Hopefully you’ll be able to return and spend longer. DL is my favorite park out of all the parks (although Tokyo may change that whe. We go this next summer)😁

Upvote 0

Australian Dad

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice. I am tending to 0+8 mainly because it’s a big trip from Adelaide and this way we get our heroic journey over in one and then the kids can settle. The thing that’s tugging me in the other direction is Blue Bayou- I have done it in Paris and a restaurant in a ride which you can see from the ride is something special. And now that I hear Pirates is better in California….hmmmm.

The other thing pulling me to Orlando is economics. 1 day + 2 nights in DL >$$$ than one 1/8th of a stay in WDW + upgrading a 4 day pass to a 5 day pass.

But I’m still open to reasons to opt one way or the other. Please keep the advice coming.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Now that I know you’re coming from so far, I’d recommend just doing WDW—that’s a BIG trip with a not-so-nice time zone difference. I’d plan to do just a So. CA trip and visit other places in addition to DL.

I was going to recommend d Blue Bayou as well but just be warned if you do go, the food was really meh last time we ate there. But it’s very romantic and beautiful and should be done at least once!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Pirates IS much better in DL. You also have the Indiana Jones ride which is phenomenal. We had a fantastic meal at Blue Bayou. We dined after doing the ride through to get both experiences. Finances and time rule so wanting to do it and having the funds and time are different things. It took me years of dreaming of getting DL before I ever got the chance to do it. One day you may get there with time to enjoy both DL and Cali. properly. Cars land, Incredicoaster and Marvel are things not to be missed.

Upvote 0

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
While DL is arguably the best of all 6 parks in the States, it packs many of the same attractions that "other" WDW parks offer. Most of the entire Hollywood Studios park contains things DL has, though with additional features. If you take out SW from HS (which is a near duplicate), then you are left with a Toy Story land, a haunted drop tower, and a roller coaster, at a similar price to DL, which offers about 4x the number of rides/theming/experiences/restaurant quality. Additionally, SW is slightly different in California as it features an interactive Star Wars Datapad experience, which is similar to the ones found at Harry Potter Land. There are also more chances that you can meet characters at DL. I would recommend 3 DL (2 DL, 1 CA, as DL is massive) and 4 WDW. HS may be a disappointment if you plan on going to DL anyways,

Upvote 0

Australian Dad

Original Poster
Now you’re making it tough! I’ve only ever done Paris in the 1990s shortly after it opened and Pirates/Blue Bayou was my favorite.

Like the animator said after his smoko (Aussie slang for a smoke break)- back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

Instead of the Blue Bayou at DL, you could try The San Angel Inn at Epcot in the Mexico pavilion. While the two restaurants have very different themes and food, SAI has the same perpetual twilight setting with boats from The Grand Fiesta Tour sailing by. I find it quite lovely. Some don't care for the food or think it is overpriced (true) but you can't beat the atmosphere.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

San Angel Inn is great in atmosphere, but as much as I like 3 Caballeros, it doesn’t compare to DL pirates. But if DLR is not in the cards this trip, SAI is probably a good alternative (Blue Bayiu definitely has better food).

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Agree with most others here. One day at DL is absolutely worth it, if for no other reason than looking for the differences between the parks (the fact that DL still has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, etc.). it really is an enjoyable way to spend a day, so why not? Have fun!

Upvote 0

Tjaden

Have you done SoCal before? It's obviously closer to Australia so it saves you a few hours on an already long journey. I'd do DL plus all the sights of LA/San Diego if I were you and hadn't done California before vs just a theme park experience of Central Florida.

Also I want to tell you that you have a treasure in the overnight quiz on ABC radio. I listen to it every morning here in Texas when I'm getting ready for work.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom