iPhone 4- is it a good phone?

magicmaya

Original Poster
Hi, I've been a proud iPhone 3g owner for about a year and a half. I'm thinking of buying an iPhone 4, but something in my mind is telling me not to buy one. I read about problems with the screeen, the antennae and the white one may not be out by the time I buy the phone. Yes, I'm thinking of getting mine in white this time. Please, someone write a review. I want to hear your opinions before I buy one.

disneysroyal411

Wait til Christmas, then all the problems should be near fixed or you will definitely know if they aren't. Also, the white one will be out and a lot more people will have evaluated it by then. That's just my opinion. Also, if it's Christmas you can see if someone will buy it for you.

I'm waiting for September to see if it's coming to Verizon (well that's around the time of the iPod announcement when it's supposed to be announced. I might end up getting a droid or a Palm though. =(

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We don't have the iPhone 4 here in Canada yet :(

From what I've read, the only problem that isn't likely to be covered by warranty if it happens to you is the antenna-bridging issue. Basically, if you hold the phone by its sides and your hand overlaps the two different antennae, you "bridge" them and neither works properly. This is easily resolved by using a protective case [which is really advisable anyway - this phone is not cheap to replace and a screen protective film will avoid the scratching issue that's been reported], then you won't be able to bridge the two.

I'll be getting an iPhone 4 in black whenever they finally release it here.

magicmaya

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I can't really get it for Christmas because my contract gets renewed in august and I don't wanna pay 300 or more on a phone. Also, i've been looking for accesories for the phone on eBay. I do not want to break this one because 2 months ago, I had an iPhone 3g and I dropped it and the screen broke(I had no case) but I got a replacement one in the mail from eBay. So I was good...until iPhone 4 came out. The white one already came out in uk. I think it doesn't make sense that iPhone 4 didn't come out in Canada yet. It came out in uk...and America but the thing is, America is connected to Canada! :lol: maybe they didn't have much in stock for all of the countries to have...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think it doesn't make sense that iPhone 4 didn't come out in Canada yet. It came out in uk...and America but the thing is, America is connected to Canada! :lol: maybe they didn't have much in stock for all of the countries to have...
Thanks,

I suspect it hasn't been released in Canada yet because of delays in negotiations with the various carriers here, not because of supply issues. Apple is really picky about what "deals" carriers offer on release and with a number of different carriers selling the iPhone in Canada, I'd bet there was a lot more back-and-forth.

We'll be getting it, just probably in July. :shrug:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hi, I've been a proud iPhone 3g owner for about a year and a half. I'm thinking of buying an iPhone 4, but something in my mind is telling me not to buy one. I read about problems with the screeen, the antennae and the white one may not be out by the time I buy the phone. Yes, I'm thinking of getting mine in white this time. Please, someone write a review. I want to hear your opinions before I buy one.

The screen is astonishing. It really is incredible. I'm not aware of any screen issues, and if there was a problem with your screen, it would be under warranty.

I cant reproduce a problem with the antennae system on mine.

flynnibus

Premium Member
there are a few problems with yellow bands on some of the screens - but that will be replaced under warranty. Apple calls it a manufacturing defect.

The antenna problem Apple is still trying to blame the customer rather then acknowledge they screwed up and didn't do good usability testing on the design. Yes every phone has antennas... not every phone allows the user to short them tho!

A case will likely be the only solution until the next hardware rev where maybe they can move the gap.

disneysroyal411

Thanks guys! I can't really get it for Christmas because my contract gets renewed in august and I don't wanna pay 300 or more on a phone. Also, i've been looking for accesories for the phone on eBay. I do not want to break this one because 2 months ago, I had an iPhone 3g and I dropped it and the screen broke(I had no case) but I got a replacement one in the mail from eBay. So I was good...until iPhone 4 came out. The white one already came out in uk. I think it doesn't make sense that iPhone 4 didn't come out in Canada yet. It came out in uk...and America but the thing is, America is connected to Canada! :lol: maybe they didn't have much in stock for all of the countries to have...

You don't have to renew the day your contracts up you know. You can wait until after to get a new phone and resign. Other then that you continue on the same plan and phone. I usually jump and get a new phone as possible but this time I'm waiting for Christmas. :king:

Skip

Some quick notes, I picked up my iPhone opening day -

-Fantastic, fantastic screen. All it's hyped up to be IMO, looks ridiculously crisp.
-Great new design, the glass construction makes it feel worth the $200+ you plopped down on it. The new band is much nicer than the old, cheaper-feeling curve, too.
-The camera is FANTASTIC, with auto/manual flash, 8 megapixels, front/back, and video recording. A joy and ease to use.
-A friend who also got an iPhone opening day had the yellow streak issue. He waited it out, it didn't go away, and he exchanged it via warranty for a new phone yesterday with no issues.
-Have not experienced any of the problems with the antennae; I do not have the "bumper" case or any similar case.
-I do, however, have ZAGG's Invisibleshield. It was applied by one of the kiosk-men and he did a reasonably good job - it's placed properly. It has a texture that takes getting used to but is overall nice and provides a good grip, but there is a streak issue. Vertical, faint streaks mar the otherwise flawless retina screen - this issue did not occur on my friend's phone who got the same shield at the same place, so I'm debating whether or not to put my phone out of commission to get it redone.

Hope some of this helps!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
there are a few problems with yellow bands on some of the screens - but that will be replaced under warranty. Apple calls it a manufacturing defect.

The antenna problem Apple is still trying to blame the customer rather then acknowledge they screwed up and didn't do good usability testing on the design. Yes every phone has antennas... not every phone allows the user to short them tho!

A case will likely be the only solution until the next hardware rev where maybe they can move the gap.

Can you reproduce the signal problem on your iPhone 4? I can't. The reception is identical to my iPhone 3GS. Makes no difference where I hold it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Can you reproduce the signal problem on your iPhone 4? I can't. The reception is identical to my iPhone 3GS. Makes no difference where I hold it.
I was able to do it, quite by accident, on a co-workers. I have never cared for the call quality on the iPhone and he was going to show me how it has improved. He handed me the phone and I grabbed it with my left hand (I am a lefty) and it dropped the call. He redialed the person I was to speak with and when he handed me the phone it dropped it again. I had zero bars when it was in my left hand.

The solution for it is pretty easy....get the silicone case but Steve Job's response "You are holding it wrong" stopped me in my tracks from taking my first bite of an Apple. It is starting to come to light that they have known about this issue for a while and had they taken the high road and provided free silicone cases I more than likely would have gotten an iPhone 4 in the next couple of months when I was eligible for an upgrade. Now I will be waiting to see what AT&T has to offer in the way of a Windows 7 phone come October/November.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I was able to do it, quite by accident, on a co-workers. I have never cared for the call quality on the iPhone and he was going to show me how it has improved. He handed me the phone and I grabbed it with my left hand (I am a lefty) and it dropped the call. He redialed the person I was to speak with and when he handed me the phone it dropped it again. I had zero bars when it was in my left hand.

The solution for it is pretty easy....get the silicone case but Steve Job's response "You are holding it wrong" stopped me in my tracks from taking my first bite of an Apple. It is starting to come to light that they have known about this issue for a while and had they taken the high road and provided free silicone cases I more than likely would have gotten an iPhone 4 in the next couple of months when I was eligible for an upgrade. Now I will be waiting to see what AT&T has to offer in the way of a Windows 7 phone come October/November.

It does certainly seem to depend on the specific user and location. I can't introduce a problem holding it with either hand in any spot on the phone. It would be interesting to see out of the 1.7 million they sold in those first two days how widespread the issue is. Having said that, a lot of phones from other manufacturers have the same issue. I've seen a lot of YouTube videos demonstrating it on all kinds of handsets. I remember I had a Nokia a few years back that had a sticker on the back saying "do not touch here". LOL

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It does certainly seem to depend on the specific user and location. I can't introduce a problem holding it with either hand in any spot on the phone. It would be interesting to see out of the 1.7 million they sold in those first two days how widespread the issue is. Having said that, a lot of phones from other manufacturers have the same issue. I've seen a lot of YouTube videos demonstrating it on all kinds of handsets. I remember I had a Nokia a few years back that had a sticker on the back saying "do not touch here". LOL
I have personally had about a dozen different phones and used countless more and the only phone I have ever had signal issues other than the iPhone 4 was the Nokia 8260 about 9-10 years ago. It was one of the first phones to have an internal antenna and reception on it was horrid no matter what you did. The fact that the iPhone had an odd ball issue was not the deal killer for me...Steve Job's response was.

DiPSU224

I'm not sure, but I think I may be having this issue with mine. I had the 3G and probably 1 in a dozen calls would drop.

First day I had my iPhone 4, I dropped every single call and then dropped the call again every time I redialed. I had read about the antennae problems and thought that might be it, but I wasn't holding the phone with my left hand or anywhere near where they said there might be problems.

Do I still love the phone? Absolutely. I'm waiting on a case though until they release the Otterbox for the 4th generation. I had one for my 3G and it was a lifesaver. After I dropped my first one in the toilet, I will never let it go without an Otterbox again. :lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure, but I think I may be having this issue with mine. I had the 3G and probably 1 in a dozen calls would drop.

First day I had my iPhone 4, I dropped every single call and then dropped the call again every time I redialed. I had read about the antennae problems and thought that might be it, but I wasn't holding the phone with my left hand or anywhere near where they said there might be problems.

Do I still love the phone? Absolutely. I'm waiting on a case though until they release the Otterbox for the 4th generation. I had one for my 3G and it was a lifesaver. After I dropped my first one in the toilet, I will never let it go without an Otterbox again. :lol:

I'd take it back to Apple with it being that bad. Perhaps you have a faulty unit?

Did the 3G survive the toilet drop?

DiPSU224

I'd take it back to Apple with it being that bad. Perhaps you have a faulty unit?

Did the 3G survive the toilet drop?

Someone else mentioned taking it back. I was thinking of waiting to see if getting a case works. It seems to only happen when I'm in my house which is weird because like I said, my 3G was fine at home.

The 3G did not fare well after the toilet drop....I actually had a cheap case on it at the time. I did everything from blow it with compressed air to putting it in a bag of rice for 3 days. Finally, I bit my lip and bought a new one. It was a traumatizing 3 days. :lol:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm a former 2G and 3G owner (bought and got rid of twice), and I'm waiting until either there's an unlocking solution for US units or the prices go down on unlocked non-US units. Last I heard an unlocked 32GB unit from the UK is just under USD$900, and from France/Germany just over $900.

Lee

Adventurer
I'm a former 2G and 3G owner (bought and got rid of twice), and I'm waiting until either there's an unlocking solution for US units or the prices go down on unlocked non-US units. Last I heard an unlocked 32GB unit from the UK is just under USD$900, and from France/Germany just over $900.
Yikes! That's kinda steep.
Unlocking is only half the process with the 4, too. You then have to get your sim card cut down to micro-sim size to fit. That is a hassle, I'm sure, and would prevent swapping sims with other phones on a regular basis.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Yikes! That's kinda steep.
Unlocking is only half the process with the 4, too. You then have to get your sim card cut down to micro-sim size to fit. That is a hassle, I'm sure, and would prevent swapping sims with other phones on a regular basis.
microsim-shop.com :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom