Interesting dillema

scpergj

My wife just received an interesting e-mail from her step-mother...

First, let me say that we all get along really good - even have been on a WDW vacation together two years ago that went pretty good, so that isn't where the problem is. Here goes...

My wife's dad, step-mother, and brother (23, I think, and never been to WDW) want to come down and visit towards the end of the year...the 25th of December to the 2nd of January, to be precise. We have a two-fold problem, one is just simply financial (more of a question than a problem) and the other....CHRISTMAS WEEK IN WDW...ARE THEY CRAZY?????

Ok...first question...We have purchased (not yet activated) seasonal AP's from AAA. I would guess that we could upgrade those at any time at a ticket office. Is that correct? If so, the difference looks like about $450 for two adults and two kids.

Second, just how crazy are the crowds the week between Christmas and New Years? Being residents, we usually go when we can, and avoid holidays like the plague, so we just don't know what it would be like. We will be staying off site - they were talking about renting a large condo. An interesting twist to this is that our son's 10th birthday is the 30th. We've always told him that there is no way we'd be at WDW for his birthday, unlike his sister (we happened to be there for hers in November of 2005).

so...crazy, or does this sound like it could be fun?

Kevin

Animaniac93-98

Crazy if you want to ride anything (it's the only time I've seen Snow White have a 30 minute wait), but if you just want to see shows it's manageable. Though you'll have to put up with parks closing due to capacity and having difficulty moving within them.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

The crowds during the week between Christmas Day and New Year's Day are some of the worst at WDW.

If possible at all, go before Christmas Day or after January 1st.
Otherwise be prepared mentally.

Good luck.
:xmas:

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

If you adjust your expectations, you can have a great time.

But it will be crowded. The single most crowded week of the year. Now, if you're willing to go and absorb the atmosphere, of which there is extra at this time of the year, you will have a great time.

But your chances of riding everything and being happy about the effort are not good.

Again, if you go with the attitude that this is going to be crowded and we are going to do what we can and have fun, you will have fun.

If you go with the attitude that my relative has never riden the RocknRoller Coaster and MUST do that before leaving, either you get up very early or you wait a very long time. (Yes, I know you can get a fast pass if you get their early enough, but the bottome line is, you are going to do some serious waiting for something if you attempt to do it all.

Upvote 0

sbkline

I'd love to go there during Christmas. Now, only being able to go once a year, I'm not sure if I'd want my once a year trip to be during that busy time. But in your case, when you live down there and have annual passes, it's not like you're "wasting" your one trip for the year on a week when it will be so busy you can't do any rides. Unlike me, you can also go back the next month or the month before or any other time you feel like it. So I say go for it.

Upvote 0

scpergj

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. My wife has e-mailed back and informed them of the size of the crowds...we'll see. They do consider us the family experts on WDW, so we'll see what else they propose. My wife's brother is on winter break at that time (Masters in Engineering), but we don't know for how long, so we'll see. Working around everyone's vacation schedule can be really difficult!

Kevin

Upvote 0

cooleo

I say go for it. Pick 2 absolute must rides at each park & get your fast passes early. Other than that, enjoy the atmosphere see some shows & ride what ever else you can. After all, it's Christmas, you're with Family & it is your Son's Birthday. You might even plan a Birthday Dinner for your Son. What other reasons do you need to have a good time. :wave:

Upvote 0

Rob562

As others have already commented on how insane it can be at WDW during Christmas Week, I thought I'd comment on your other question about ticket upgrades.

You can upgrade your Seasonal Pass voucher quite easily. They'll just charge you the difference between the two tickets, as you suspected.

In fact, even if you'd already activated the Pass, they'll still upgrade it. You still pay the same price difference, and the new AP will be back-dated to have the same start-date as the Seasonal Pass.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Crowds will be simply insane. According to reports on the site there were instances of 3 of the 4 parks being simultaneously in some from of phased closure due to capacity. If you intend to go you will want to get to the parks no later than 1 hour before park opening use fast pass and pack a bunch of patience.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

My first thought was that I don't understand the timing issue. :veryconfu

Why is it so necessary for them to visit during that particular week? The kid is 23 so school can't be the reason. Are either of the parents working jobs that only allow them to have that week off? If so, I can see the issue.

If not, it seems that any family would believe you if you told them it was a bad week and asked them to come down at an earlier (or later) time. After all, you guys live there and know the crowd situation best. That would be excuse enough for me to change my plans for the visit!

It's only a dilemma if they totally disregard your suggestion and demand to come that week anyway. In that case, just relax and go with the flow! Oh....and keep those "I told you so's" to yourself! :lol:

GOOD LUCK!

:wave:

Upvote 0

scpergj

Original Poster
My first thought was that I don't understand the timing issue. :veryconfu

Why is it so necessary for them to visit during that particular week? The kid is 23 so school can't be the reason. Are either of the parents working jobs that only allow them to have that week off? If so, I can see the issue.

If not, it seems that any family would believe you if you told them it was a bad week and asked them to come down at an earlier (or later) time. After all, you guys live there and know the crowd situation best. That would be excuse eneough tfor me to chancge my plans for the visit!

It's only a dilemma if they totally disregard your suggestion and demand to come that week anyway. In that case, just relax and go with the flow! Oh....and keep those "I told you so's" to yourself! :lol:

GOOD LUCK!

Actually, school is part of the problem. He's getting a masters in engineering, so the timing has to be right. He works intern/co-op type jobs in the summer for engineering firms, so he really has only a couple of weeks a year off.

We did explain the crowd issue, so we'll see how they react to that (we usually talk to them every couple of weeks, but e-mail much more than that). They did see we know what we are doing two years ago when they came down - I ran and got fast pases, we scheduled meals at slightly off times, that sort of thing...and it went really well.

My wife (remember, it's her dad...) is really hoping they change what they want to do. Her thought is to let them come and visit WDW themselves...and we can visit over the long weekend. That'll work for me, too!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

While the Christmas - New Year week may be the busiest, it doesn't stop folk going (or it wouldn't be the busiest :hammer: )

All I can say is - don't knock it till you've tried it - we're going that very same period next year and we're all looking forward to it

Upvote 0

scpergj

Original Poster
Crowds will be simply insane. According to reports on the site there were instances of 3 of the 4 parks being simultaneously in some from of phased closure due to capacity. If you intend to go you will want to get to the parks no later than 1 hour before park opening use fast pass and pack a bunch of patience.

Yeah, I had heard the same thing...it's kind of why I posted this. We're hoping they just come and visit...WDW would just be too hard that week.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Actually, school is part of the problem. He's getting a masters in engineering, so the timing has to be right. He works intern/co-op type jobs in the summer for engineering firms, so he really has only a couple of weeks a year off.

That explains it! :lol:

Well, they gotta do what they gotta do, I guess.

For YOUR sake, though, I hope they can make it either the week before or after so it's a more enjoyable for all!

GOOD LUCK!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom