Interesting article on the revised Queen Mary Tour and special effects.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-queen-mary-ghost-tour-20171110-story.html

>>But Friday, the Queen Mary launched an overhauled tour, adding new spooky sound effects, ghostly apparitions and inanimate objects rolling and shifting of their own volition.

Brian Luallen, the Queen Mary’s director of entertainment events, said the ship operators spent millions of dollars to create a new tour, relying on 3-D projectors, see-through LED television screens and other high-tech effects.<<

Phroobar

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-queen-mary-ghost-tour-20171110-story.html

>>But Friday, the Queen Mary launched an overhauled tour, adding new spooky sound effects, ghostly apparitions and inanimate objects rolling and shifting of their own volition.

Brian Luallen, the Queen Mary’s director of entertainment events, said the ship operators spent millions of dollars to create a new tour, relying on 3-D projectors, see-through LED television screens and other high-tech effects.<<
That sounds like fun. I wonder if the new effects will be added to the Halloween mazes. Its a fun hotel to stay in.

sedati

That sounds great- I've been to Queen Mary twice (once during the brief time it was a Disney property) and enjoyed it. I do worry about the underlying infrastructure and hope this ship can be preserved.

sedati

it was a huwhat?

Not just the Queen Mary, but the Spruce Goose as well. From Wikipedia:

"Jack Wrather, a local millionaire, had fallen in love with the ship because he and his wife, Bonita Granville, had fond memories of sailing on it numerous times. Wrather signed a 66-year lease with the city of Long Beach to operate the entire property. He oversaw the display of the Spruce Goose, on long-term loan. The immense plane, which had been sitting in a hangar in Long Beach for decades unseen by the public, was installed in a huge geodesic dome adjacent to the liner in 1983, attracting increased attendance.[41]

His Wrather Port Properties operated the entire attraction after his death in 1984 until 1988, when his holdings were bought by the Walt Disney Company. Wrather had built the Disneyland Hotel in 1955, when Walt Disney had insufficient funds to construct the resort himself. Disney had been trying to buy the hotel for 30 years. When they finally succeeded, they also acquired the Queen Mary. This was never marketed as a Disney property.

First Class accommodation on Queen Mary, converted into a present-day hotel room with modern curtains, bedding, fixtures and amenities surrounded by original wood paneling and portholes
Through the late 1980s and early 1990s the Queen Mary struggled financially. Disney pinned their hopes for turning the attraction around on Port Disney,[42] a huge planned resort on the adjacent docks. It was to include a theme park known as DisneySea, themed around the world's oceans. The plans eventually fell through; in 1992 Disney gave up the lease on the ship to focus on building what would become Disney California Adventure Park. The DisneySea concept was recycled a decade later in Japan as Tokyo DisneySea, with a recreated ocean liner resembling Queen Mary named the SS Columbia as the centerpiece of the American Waterfront area."

Phroobar

They should turn it into a Titanic themed attraction with splashing water effects and a giant iceberg.
The Queen Mary did have a Titanic exhibit for a while. It's a nice museum but needs some love. Disney needs to buy it again and try to get Long Beach to build Disney Sea again.

NobodyElse

I went on the "Ghosts & Legends" tour back in the Disney era. I came away pleasantly, surprisingly impressed (but it was the subtle things that I appreciated the most). I'll give this tour a shot at some point.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

Im so glad to see the queen Mary getting some love. Last time I was there I was shamed to have taken someone to it. Mostly closed up ballrooms, bad carpets, wooden flooring in disrepair and the worst part was the lounge. Where someone stupid drilled holes in some of the original Art Deco walls nd trimmings to run a bunch of wiring for a set off drums and synthesizer. The place should. Have had. Life band or singer not a DJ.

The haunted wall thru was a huge joke. They kept advising people that they could need the tour because it was going to get scarier and instead it got stupider. Best thing was seeing the indoor swimming pool. Shame it’s decaying and being used as gag instead of leaving it open for public to see.
The engine room was the best part with the mini museum.

Also looking forward to the new dining and shopping area planned for the area. It needs it after the small village closed.

Hopefully they find a better area for the Halloween event that looks terrible at entrance of ship and the ticketing booth that looks like a carnival trailer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom