Interactive cakes coming to a park near you?

mgf

Original Poster
Thought this was interesting given all of the NextGen/RFID integration expected in the next decade. Disney has filed a patent for an interactive cake complete with "3D" projection capability.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/20/disneys-plan-for-interactive-cakes-revealed-in-patent-applica/

I suspect the author is correct in assuming these will be exclusive to the parks and resorts. Not only is this pretty neat, but it will likely be a huge hit. Plus, it seems like a renewed form of that old Disney magic. Thoughts?

stitch2008

Thought this was interesting given all of the NextGen/RFID integration expected in the next decade. Disney has filed a patent for an interactive cake complete with "3D" projection capability.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/20/disneys-plan-for-interactive-cakes-revealed-in-patent-applica/

I suspect the author is correct in assuming these will be exclusive to the parks and resorts. Not only is this pretty neat, but it will likely be a huge hit. Plus, it seems like a renewed form of that old Disney magic. Thoughts?

Sounds like something you would find at Be Our Guest restaurant when it opens.

JimboJones123

Seems like more trouble than it is worth.

This RFID deal keeps getting worse all the time.

I still have not seen any ideas about it that offer anything more than "I guess that is kinda cool."

Still stuck on what is the point. If you really "need" your actual name mentioned, wouldn't it mean more from a CM directly?

brkgnews

Obviously they'll use this to achieve the interactive video/photo aspect promised for the nightly castle show when they turn it into a giant cake for the 40th annivesary next year.

:lookaroun

:lookaroun

:drevil:

_Scar

Someone will end up eating and choking on the projector. Then no more cakes.

:D

Seriously though (even though the above situation probably isn't so farfetch'd), I think this idea is stupid. I can't believe anyone has actually invested money and time into this.

Phonedave

OK, thats interesting, but I would think they could find better ways to spend time and money than making some spiffy cakes.

If I said "I know, I'll go ask Tuba about the cakes !" would ANYBODY know what I am talking about?

-dave

Nemo14

OK, thats interesting, but I would think they could find better ways to spend time and money than making some spiffy cakes.

If I said "I know, I'll go ask Tuba about the cakes !" would ANYBODY know what I am talking about?

-dave
cake or death?

bgraham34

Seems like more trouble than it is worth.

This RFID deal keeps getting worse all the time.

I still have not seen any ideas about it that offer anything more than "I guess that is kinda cool."

Still stuck on what is the point. If you really "need" your actual name mentioned, wouldn't it mean more from a CM directly?

Agreed. Kids will certainly get more of a kick out of hearing there name than an adult.

brkgnews

One thing we're quite perhaps overlooking is the future potential once the technique is perfected. We're fixating on "that big ugly projector," but the usual case with patents/invention is that when you're doing early research, the first step is to make it work, no matter how unwieldy it is. Then you work on perfecting it with more efficiency or smaller parts. Think of computers, for instance. They started out Huuuuuuuge and with very limited abilities. This cake dealio could be the very start of something tiny and amazing.

Phonedave

One thing we're quite perhaps overlooking is the future potential once the technique is perfected. We're fixating on "that big ugly projector," but the usual case with patents/invention is that when you're doing early research, the first step is to make it work, no matter how unwieldy it is. Then you work on perfecting it with more efficiency or smaller parts. Think of computers, for instance. They started out Huuuuuuuge and with very limited abilities. This cake dealio could be the very start of something tiny and amazing.

I could see it from an interactive diorama persepecitve.

In the article, they give the example of a RFID embedded knife cuts a slice, and the projector causes it to look like water is running off the top if the cake into the hole.

I can see interactive dioramas like that. Put an RFID Moses on a stick, move him into the Red Sea and watch those waters part. You could do a human body projection and a RFID embedded 'scalpel' and do some dissections.

There are a whole bunch of uses for this technology. It's just that putting images on top of cakes seems to be one of the most useless of the uses.

-dave

flavious27

This is pretty cool of a way to expand on the offerings they have at DTD already for parties and celebrations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom