Insight Wanted: WDW and US AP price difference?

DManRightHere

Original Poster
Disney and Universal seem to follow each other on price increases. Does anyone know the reason for such a large gap on out of state Annual Passes?

We splurged and purchased Universal AP's for $250 and $320 (I think).
Disney's comparable AP is $750

That is an average difference of $465 per pass.

Why is Universal so much less or why is Disney so much more?

I know Disney does have 2 more theme parks, by that understanding I would guess Disney should cost only about $200 more.

Maybe it is to do with multi day ticket prices.
Disney offers up to 10 day park hopper for $460.
Universal offers up to 4 day park to park for $240
From here it just looks like Disney AP is overpriced. (And Universal is underpriced)

Did I miss anything big here?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't know, so asking, but does UNIs AP include free parking for the entire year? Does it include a memory maker type of perk? Does it offer discounts on dining and merchandise? Just trying to understand what the UNI AP does offer. Thanks!

Brad Bishop

I think this is just "because they can".

Disney can charge more or, at least, chooses to. Universal could charge more but maybe they feel like there's more to having folks out there with APs - that they'll make more in drinks, gifts, and parties.

It's basically a market-demand thing.

One I don't get: Six Flags has been stuck at about $65 for the last 20 years for it's AP if you buy it at the right time. From what I can tell it means more AP holders than you really want.

DManRightHere

Original Poster
I don't know, so asking, but does UNIs AP include free parking for the entire year? Does it include a memory maker type of perk? Does it offer discounts on dining and merchandise? Just trying to understand what the UNI AP does offer. Thanks!

Here are the details for US

image.jpeg

DManRightHere

Original Poster
I think this is just "because they can".

Disney can charge more or, at least, chooses to. Universal could charge more but maybe they feel like there's more to having folks out there with APs - that they'll make more in drinks, gifts, and parties.

It's basically a market-demand thing.

One I don't get: Six Flags has been stuck at about $65 for the last 20 years for it's AP if you buy it at the right time. From what I can tell it means more AP holders than you really want.

Yup, definitely what people are willing to pay, but just odd how on the baselines (food, tickets, parking) both companies seem very close in price. It also makes me wonder if US has a low guest retention (people are not as likely to return as Disney's guests).

Maybe AP prices are calculated on how many times and the average guest actually visits the park, and multiplied into how much money they want to make per day. I'm sure there are countless other variables. This would make sense if people with an AP are more likely to visit WDW.

celluloid

Unless you are absolutely in love with memory maker, the only real reason is demand.

Universal treats their Annual Passholders in a far superior way. The way WDW AP's used to be. I can't even get 10 percent off of full service restaurants in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom