Insider info/ AMA on WDW's 50th Ann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaximumEd

It’s very good. I’d still say RSR is miles ahead. But that’s just me.

I would agree. It checks all the boxes for what WDI used to do on a regular basis, but seems to not be able to fully do now due to the inevitable budget cuts. I’d say it’s the best newish ride they’ve done that lives up to past rides like EE and Splash. I’m hoping RotR can do the same, but based on their track record as of late, I have my doubts, however that’s just a gut feeling as I have zero inside knowledge.

Epcot_Imagineer

Flight of Passage in Pandora is excellent. Hard to argue that it isn’t the gold standard simulator attraction in the world.
My friends were just in the parks a few weeks ago, not Disney people at all, didn't really understand how FastPass even works. When I asked them about Smuggler's Run I got "Good, I think worth the wait," they only waited 30 minutes. Immediately after riding FoP, without me asking, they sent message after message saying it was possibly the greatest ride they've ever been on. That spoke volumes to me about not only how successful Pandora was, but about the difficulties Galaxy's Edge is facing.

ryguy

Personally I liked Smugglers Run until the actual ride. The ride itself seemed like star tours to me but more confusing. I don't like rides where I have to do something or have a role. I am so worried about my role I can't keep tract of what is going on. I have no clue what the story line was/is for the mission. There was so much chaos going on inside the cabin between blinking lights, loud noises, and the group of Twenty somethings I was riding with screaming at the top of their lungs. For someone with ADD I had no chance figuring out or enjoying this ride.

I think Smugglers opening first didn't help with the buzz for Galaxy's Edge. Sounds like the other ride is the ground breaker and will create buzz. Smugglers does not have a wow factor. I would doubt seriously there are too many people leaving Galaxy's Edge saying you have to go right this minute it's so amazing. Potter I still think is the gold standard, but that may change come December with opening of Rise.

Figments Friend

Another story I can share about my experience visiting DHS the evening i did....

I rode 'Star Tours' a couple of times before walking over to 'Batuu' and during both rides I had Guests seated next to me that stated afterwards they enjoyed it more then 'Smugglers Run'.
One older gent in particular had some great comments, and they pretty much summed up what a lot of Star Wars fans have been saying regarding the appeal of experiencing characters and worlds you 'know'.
He definitely preferred 'Tours'.

I didn't ask these people for their opinions, they just stated these things after the ride concluded.
I was overhearing Guest comments and found it interesting.
Like a kid suddenly saying after a good movie ' that was cool!', post-ride 'Star Tours' was -

"Man, this is waaaay better then the Falcon ride..!"
"I like this one better"
"Wow...this is awesome. Wish the Millinium Falcon ( ride ) was this cool"
"I'd rather ride this then that other 'Star Wars' thing....."
"That was great!! "

When I later experienced 'Smugglers Run', people were chatty and excited beforehand.
During the ride people were chatty and seemingly excited.
Once the ride segment was over, there wasn't really a lot of "wow that was awesome!" or related exclaimations.
A few kids laughing, but no post-show buzz like I had seen earlier at 'Star Tours'.

Just some more random observations I made that night.
Thought it would be of interest.

-

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Another story I can share about my experience visiting DHS the evening i did....

I rode 'Star Tours' a couple of times before walking over to 'Batuu' and during both rides I had Guests seated next to me that stated afterwards they enjoyed it more then 'Smugglers Run'.
One older gent in particular had some great comments, and they pretty much summed up what a lot of Star Wars fans have been saying regarding the appeal of experiencing characters and worlds you 'know'.
He definitely preferred 'Tours'.

I didn't ask these people for their opinions, they just stated these things after the ride concluded.
I was overhearing Guest comments and found it interesting.
Like a kid suddenly saying after a good movie ' that was cool!', post-ride 'Star Tours' was -

"Man, this is waaaay better then the Falcon ride..!"
"I like this one better"
"Wow...this is awesome. Wish the Millinium Falcon ( ride ) was this cool"
"I'd rather ride this then that other 'Star Wars' thing....."
"That was great!! "

When I later experienced 'Smugglers Run', people were chatty and excited beforehand.
During the ride people were chatty and seemingly excited.
Once the ride segment was over, there wasn't really a lot of "wow that was awesome!" or related exclaimations.
A few kids laughing, but no post-show buzz like I had seen earlier at 'Star Tours'.

Just some more random observations I made that night.
Thought it would be of interest.

-

I experience the same. Yesterday I rode Star Tours and Smugglers Run twice. On Star Tours people were cheering and the family I sat next to really seemed to like it, saying things like "Wow, that was awesome".

On Smugglers Run I did single rider twice in the engineer seat, which gives you a good perspective as I often get seated behind families with small kids. The first run there were two small children in the pilot seats and the parents were yelling at them the entire time. We crashed constantly and it was no fun. When we exited nobody said anything.

The second run a small kid sat in the left seat and the dad in the right. The small girl could not reach most of the buttons and the dad kept leaning over to try and press the buttons. The mom sat in front of me and asked me before the ride what she should do. She asked me if I had done it before and she seemed nervous. I watched her look at the buttons to her right almost the entire time, not paying any attention to the screen. I don't think she had a good time.

I have seen this quite a few times. It is a terrible ride for families with small kids, ruining it for the parents (who may feel guilty towards other guests that their kids crashed into everything), ruining it for kids who keep getting yelled at, and to any other guests in the back who can't control their own experience. Not to mention non-English guests who often don't understand what's going on.

I prefer Star Tours far more than Smugglers Run. They need to change it and remove some of the interactivity. Pilots could still press buttons and pull the lever to activate the hyperdrive, but take away the steering and let Chewie take over the entire ride. The coaxium story is also boring and there are no recognizable Star Wars elements on the screen as is the case with Star Tours. I dislike this ride more each time I ride it.

Last edited:

tissandtully

I experience the same. Yesterday I rode Star Tours and Smugglers Run twice. On Star Tours people were cheering and the family I sat next to really seemed to like it, saying things like "Wow, that was awesome".

On Smugglers Run I did single rider twice in the engineer seat, which gives you a good perspective as I often get seated with families with small kids. The first run there were two small children in the pilot seats and the parents were yelling at them the entire time. We crashed constantly and it was no fun. When we exited nobody said anything.

The second run a small kid sat in the left seat and the dad in the right. The small girl could not reach most of the buttons and the dad kept leaning over to try and press the buttons. The mom sat in front of me and asked me before the ride what she should do. She asked me if I had done it before and she seemed nervous. I watched her look at the buttons to her right almost the entire time, not paying any attention to the screen. I don't think she had a good time.

I have seen this quite a few times. It is a terrible ride for families with small kids, ruining it for the parents (who may feel guilty towards other guests that their kids crashed into everything), ruining it for kids who keep getting yelled at, and to any other guests in the back who can't control their own experience. Not to mention non-English guests who often don't understand what's going on.

I prefer Star Tours far more than Smugglers Run. They need to change it and remove some of the interactivity. Pilots could still press buttons and pull the lever to activate the hyperdrive, but take away the steering and let Chewie take over the entire ride. The coaxium story is also boring and there are no recognizable Star Wars elements on the screen as is the case with Star Tours. I dislike this ride more each time I ride it.
I just think they need to make interactivity optional, not take it away entirely. Make an Orange and Green side like Mission: Space does.

RobbinsDad

Not a fan, and have always had very mixed feeling about that film.
Also over the years the 'overuse' of the characters in the Theme Parks has turned me off to what little appeal it could have had.
Just me, i'm sure...

Yes, i have seen the film ( once, in full ) and it does nothing for me.
A 'one and done', and i am a huge animation fan.
I guess it's because i am a 'big kid' who never stopped playing with my toys and never 'grew up', so the themes don't resonate with me as they likely do with others.

I was a twenty-something when the original 'Toy Story' was released and was pursuing a possible career in Traditional Animation.
Once the film became a huge success, studios started pursuing CGI based animation and before long Trad was phased out much to my dismay.
So my dislike of Pixar is based on more factors then just not liking a movie.

Top reasons -

Too much overexposure / overuse in the Theme Parks and elsewhere. ( but understandable, as it's so successful and popular with the general public )
Overrated ( in my option, particularity the later films )
Had a major hand in diminishing / 'destroying' Traditional Animation in mainstream animated Feature Films. ( others will likely disagree )
Lassaster being hailed as the 'savoir of animation' and the white knight who will 'save Imagineering' for a time period within the fan community - we now all know how that ended....
'Pixar' is NOT 'Disney' and never will be in my mind, They are two completely different entities, regardless of who currently owns them.
Irks me when people feel it's one and the same, but we all have different options which makes for great discussion and a more interesting world.

Sorry to sound so grumpy and bitter....but 'Pixar' invokes very mixed feelings in me.
If i was to choose a positive related to them, i would say RSR's is a excellent Theme Park Attraction regardless of the IP.
'A Bugs Life' and 'Monsters Inc' were their two best films for me.
I could watch either more then once.
:)

-
This is off topic but who cares here, right?

For me, Pixar had a golden age from 07-09 with Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Up. Everything since has been good but not great, although the music from Coco is outstanding.

RSoxNo1

Apologies, I should have completed my thought. Flight of Passage in Pandora is excellent. Hard to argue that it isn’t the gold standard simulator attraction in the world.
It’s very good. I’d still say RSR is miles ahead. But that’s just me.
Both are excellent rides. There's part of me that loves the sheer scope of RSR moving through physical sets and a physical environment. Conversely though, when we heard Flight of Passage was going to effectively be "Soarin' Over Pandora" there weren't super high expectations. There are some great thrills in Flight of Passage that are having me consider it to be the #2 ride in DAK (behind Safaris). Pre-show aside, it's very well executed.

trainplane3

I just think they need to make interactivity optional, not take it away entirely. Make an Orange and Green side like Mission: Space does.
It actually is. When you sit down you must press a button to make your station "active". No button press=no interactivity. It isn't super clear though because of how fast they get you in.

I selected manual mode for gunner because I knew to do it the second I got seated. My friend tried to but was a few seconds too slow. They really move you in and out quick.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
It actually is. When you sit down you must press a button to make your station "active". No button press=no interactivity. It isn't super clear though because of how fast they get you in.

Ah, does that work for pilots too? It makes sense, in case there is just 1 person riding all other seats should be automated. But really, when there are 2 small kids sitting in the pilot seats that can't even reach all the buttons, the CM should force the ride to be autopilot to not ruin it for everyone. Or, if the ride crashes a lot in the first 10 seconds, Hondo should come on and say that Chewie will take over steering, like he does in the end when you return to Batuu.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member

I selected manual mode for gunner because I knew to do it the second I got seated. My friend tried to but was a few seconds too slow. They really move you in and out quick.
Really? Didn't notice the two times I rode!
I was rushed in and excited. I guess many don't know about this.

trainplane3

Really? Didn't notice the two times I rode!
I was rushed in and excited. I guess many don't know about this.
Example here:

They press a yellow button for the engineer position. That activates the station. Everything else is on auto. The CM will usually load you in and say "press the yellow button" (I think it's the same for all stations) with no explanation.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
My friends were just in the parks a few weeks ago, not Disney people at all, didn't really understand how FastPass even works. When I asked them about Smuggler's Run I got "Good, I think worth the wait," they only waited 30 minutes. Immediately after riding FoP, without me asking, they sent message after message saying it was possibly the greatest ride they've ever been on. That spoke volumes to me about not only how successful Pandora was, but about the difficulties Galaxy's Edge is facing.

What am I missing that everyone else seems to get? FoP is at 3-4 hours wait constantly for what, a 3-minute simulator on a motorcycle-like ride vehicle? The scenery and queue are gorgeous but what else?

It's definitely a me thing, I must be missing something here 🤷‍♂️

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Example here:

They press a yellow button for the engineer position. That activates the station. Everything else is on auto. The CM will usually load you in and say "press the yellow button" (I think it's the same for all stations) with no explanation.

So, just to make sure, no press of yellow button, no need for me to maneuver?
I'd like to just enjoy the visuals at least once. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom