Insider info/ AMA on WDW's 50th Ann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stitchcastle

Has there ever, in your time, there been serious talks about a fifth park? Is porting a DisneySea clone out of the question?

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
Getting some Buzzy vibes here. I don't have any insider knowledge myself to say whether it's true or not but I love the story regardless. (Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions!)
Thank you for bringing Buzzy up... He was taken by a familiar face and is NOT in WDI's possession like many have hinted. Management is still sorting that out.

Sundown

Hi @Disnerd2003 . *I know I'm posting these again, but you said you're taking questions in a different way now. Just would like your thoughts!

1.) Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge: The Last Jedi movie proved to be pretty divisive among even decades-long SW fans. It personally put a bad taste in my mouth for all things Star Wars…and I’m a lifelong fan. I so wanted to like the movie, and hated it. Due to this, I lost a lot of interest in SW and honestly expected to be underwhelmed by Galaxy’s Edge; and this tempered my desire to visit it.

My question is: Did Disney fear the divisive reaction would effect Galaxy’s Edge? And if not, why not? What effect did the divisive reaction to the move have on the development/building of Galaxy’s Edge? Were things changed due to The Last Jedi reaction?

2.) Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge: Is the company considering incorporating more Original Trilogy characters, planets or vehicles?

3.) Visiting the House of Magic at the Magic Kingdom is one of my cherished memories as a child. Thanks for the updated sign and limited time Yesteryears T-shirts and magic band. Disney is sitting on potential gold-mind here as far as developing a great story based on the House of Magic. Potentially a Potter-level property. Are there any plans for more House of Magic updates? Or other updates to former MK Main Street stores?

4.) Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is a terrific attraction. It allows exploration of the often-overlooked areas of the Magic Kingdom. This is Disney being it’s best Disney. Do you know if there are any updates planned? New playable cards? Expanding the game in to Tomorrowland?

5.) Pandora: The first time I attended, the atmospheric soundtrack had the sound of a Pandoran beast bellowing unseen behind the trees. Then, a similar beast bellowed from the other side of the path, sounding like a far-off in the distance reply. This audio created the idea of such a larger world! But when I returned a year later and listed all day to the atmospheric soundtrack, it was not there.

Does Pandora have different atmospheric soundtracks? Do they run at different times of the year, indicating the “seasons” of Pandora?

6.) I can always watch plenty of Disney movies, like Toy Story, Frozen or Guardians of the Galaxy at home. I can buy tons of their toys, t-shirts, etc. too. I can immerse myself at home in these things. But I can only experience The Haunted Mansion at a Disney Park. Same with Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Tom Sawyers Island, etc. These “park only” experiences stayed with me from childhood and are the reason I return to the parks.

But does the same happen from a ride for an intellectual property that the public can “over-expose” themselves to daily at home? How does Disney value the park-exclusive attractions? And does Disney realize that people want to seek out story-experiences they truly can’t get at home?

Thank you for reading these and for your replies!

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
Has there ever, in your time, there been serious talks about a fifth park? Is porting a DisneySea clone out of the question?
No. Ol' Bob is putting that funding into upkeeping the 4 parks and hotels. A move I finally agree with. There were discussions during the ending of Eisner's era (2 years after I started), all the way through the end of Thomas Stagg's tenure. Nobody could agree on anything.

stitchcastle

can you give a hint of what the biggest, most mind-blowing project that's in the wings that hasn't been leaked/revealed yet? Or is the EPCOT revamp it and it's IP city from here on out?

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
Hi @Sundown ! It's my joy and pleasure to answer your questions.

1.) Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge: The Last Jedi movie proved to be pretty divisive among even decades-long SW fans. It personally put a bad taste in my mouth for all things Star Wars…and I’m a lifelong fan. I so wanted to like the movie, and hated it. Due to this, I lost a lot of interest in SW and honestly expected to be underwhelmed by Galaxy’s Edge; and this tempered my desire to visit it.

My question is: Did Disney fear the divisive reaction would effect Galaxy’s Edge? And if not, why not? What effect did the divisive reaction to the move have on the development/building of Galaxy’s Edge? Were things changed due to The Last Jedi reaction?
Yes and no. Higher ups knew the Last Jedi was a bad movie. There were even talks of scrapping the entire thing, taking the losses, and bringing in J.J. Abrams to redo it because they wanted a stellar movie. In the end money talks and it was too expensive. Even Mrs. Kennedy was disgusted. George Lucas left 1/2 way through his private screening. When it flopped the budget for Galaxy's Edge was cut way back and the focus on the original trilogy was shifted to the new ones to make it one large advertisement. The entire land now feels awkward, and like it's having an identity crisis due to this.

2.) Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge: Is the company considering incorporating more Original Trilogy characters, planets or vehicles?
No. Disney is focusing on advertising and pushing the new trilogy as much as they can for Episode 9. 9 is going to be the last Skywalker movie because we know we messed up bad. Expect spinoffs and remakes but not new content. It truly is sad. Due to this you won't see much original trilogy stuff.

3.) Visiting the House of Magic at the Magic Kingdom is one of my cherished memories as a child. Thanks for the updated sign and limited time Yesteryears T-shirts and magic band. Disney is sitting on potential gold-mind here as far as developing a great story based on the House of Magic. Potentially a Potter-level property. Are there any plans for more House of Magic updates? Or other updates to former MK Main Street stores?
No, unfortunately. Disney wants retail space on Main Street and the average guests aren't into lore like we are ;)

4.) Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is a terrific attraction. It allows exploration of the often-overlooked areas of the Magic Kingdom. This is Disney being it’s best Disney. Do you know if there are any updates planned? New playable cards? Expanding the game in to Tomorrowland?
No expansions are planned just yet but expect a new wave of cards sometime next year. I was part of the team that helped plan this experience and I am mighty proud of it.

5.) Pandora: The first time I attended, the atmospheric soundtrack had the sound of a Pandoran beast bellowing unseen behind the trees. Then, a similar beast bellowed from the other side of the path, sounding like a far-off in the distance reply. This audio created the idea of such a larger world! But when I returned a year later and listed all day to the atmospheric soundtrack, it was not there.

Does Pandora have different atmospheric soundtracks? Do they run at different times of the year, indicating the “seasons” of Pandora?
Of course! When you visit Pandora, you're transported to another world! Just like on Earth, animals hibernate, migrate, and more. Be aware of dynamic changing atmospheres in Pandora, as it was one of WDI's crowning achievements of the land.

6.) I can always watch plenty of Disney movies, like Toy Story, Frozen or Guardians of the Galaxy at home. I can buy tons of their toys, t-shirts, etc. too. I can immerse myself at home in these things. But I can only experience The Haunted Mansion at a Disney Park. Same with Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Tom Sawyers Island, etc. These “park only” experiences stayed with me from childhood and are the reason I return to the parks.

But does the same happen from a ride for an intellectual property that the public can “over-expose” themselves to daily at home? How does Disney value the park-exclusive attractions? And does Disney realize that people want to seek out story-experiences they truly can’t get at home?
Yes, some of us understand this. The bosses really only care about a quick buck unfortunately. You're going to sell 1/16th the amount of "Rio Del Tiempo" shirts as you do "Coco boat ride" shirts. Many of us execs care about our park exclusives but OUR leaders don't.

Thank you for reading these and for your replies!

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
can you give a hint of what the biggest, most mind-blowing project that's in the wings that hasn't been leaked/revealed yet? Or is the EPCOT revamp it and it's IP city from here on out?
Either the Imagination Pavilion's refurb, Spaceship Earth, or Magic Kingdom's new expansion.
Oh no I've said too much...

That's all for tonight! See you at the next Q/A session at 7:30-820 AM EST Tomorrow!

HMF

Either the Imagination Pavilion's refurb, Spaceship Earth, or Magic Kingdom's new expansion.
Oh no I've said too much...

That's all for tonight! See you at the next Q/A session at 7:30-820 AM EST Tomorrow!
How much can you elaborate on the SSE Refurb? Will it bring the ride back to the quality of the 1994 version? Epcot needs a strong thesis statement with RoE gone.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The lighting rigs and bulbs were returned to the descendants of Mr. Osbourne and out of respect for his passing will not return.

Well, that last part has no truth to it at all.

Over the years, the original lights were greatly supplemented by Disney. The light displays at DHS were discontinued in order to build SWL. The Osbornes received back their specific displays (upgraded by Disney). And all the Disney-owned extras were divvied up for CMs and donations.

Mr. Osborne died in 2011, right at the time Disney upgraded the lights to LEDs. The discontinuation of the Osborne lights, which happened three years later, therefore, had nothing to do with his passing. Again, it was because of SWL. Thus, there is no "respecting" of Mr. Osborne by either his family or Disney that would be a cause for them not to return.

They're not being returned because Disney didn't want them any more (otherwise, they would have saved their own portion of the lights to be used at a later time). Disney's portion of the lights don't exist any more. The Osbornes donated some of their stuff to other organizations. So, there is only a small portion of the display left to return if ever it were to return, which is a better reason why it's not coming back rather than some made up 'respecting' of the late Mr. Osborne.

But, we'll let an Osborne descendant explain why you're no insider:
Hey gang, sorry but I've just found this post. I'm Breezy Osborne's husband Tristan. The majority of the lighting apparatus were shipped to us and reside in storage. (They were shipped in huge crates over the course of a few weeks) The wonderful team from SODL wrapped them all in brand new lights and added standard plugs so we'd be able to use them. Some of the larger items from the display we donated. The nativity scene was donated to a church here in Little Rock and the globe actually lives with a former SODL light tech in Orlando. Just about every theme park reached out to us once the news broke that Disney was discontinuing the SODL and my wife and mother in law decided that it was time to let them end... at least for a little while. Currently we display the some of the original pieces like the stockings, and a few Angel's at our home, but we dont go overboard as we dont want the courts shutting us down lololol. Plus we dont really advertise where our home is. If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask. I'll answer as best as I can.​

orion54

Hi @Disnerd2003. Thanks for the info and answering questions. Fun thread. Any chance for the other parks to get a DVC lounge like Epcot? Will the AK E ticket be an expansion of the park or addition by subtraction? Also, is there any other re-theming of Dinoland USA besides Indiana Jones on the table or is Indy it?

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
Well, that last part has no truth to it at all.

Over the years, the original lights were greatly supplemented by Disney. The light displays at DHS were discontinued in order to build SWL. The Osbornes received back their specific displays (upgraded by Disney). And all the Disney-owned extras were divvied up for CMs and donations.

Mr. Osborne died in 2011, right at the time Disney upgraded the lights to LEDs. The discontinuation of the Osborne lights, which happened three years later, therefore, had nothing to do with his passing. Again, it was because of SWL. Thus, there is no "respecting" of Mr. Osborne by either his family or Disney that would be a cause for them not to return.

They're not being returned because Disney didn't want them any more (otherwise, they would have saved their own portion of the lights to be used at a later time). Disney's portion of the lights don't exist any more. The Osbornes donated some of their stuff to other organizations. So, there is only a small portion of the display left to return if ever it were to return, which is a better reason why it's not coming back rather than some made up 'respecting' of the late Mr. Osborne.

But, we'll let an Osborne descendant explain why you're no insider:
Hey gang, sorry but I've just found this post. I'm Breezy Osborne's husband Tristan. The majority of the lighting apparatus were shipped to us and reside in storage. (They were shipped in huge crates over the course of a few weeks) The wonderful team from SODL wrapped them all in brand new lights and added standard plugs so we'd be able to use them. Some of the larger items from the display we donated. The nativity scene was donated to a church here in Little Rock and the globe actually lives with a former SODL light tech in Orlando. Just about every theme park reached out to us once the news broke that Disney was discontinuing the SODL and my wife and mother in law decided that it was time to let them end... at least for a little while. Currently we display the some of the original pieces like the stockings, and a few at our home, but we dont go overboard as we dont want the courts shutting us down lololol. Plus we dont really advertise where our home is. If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask. I'll answer as best as I can.​
The agreement and understanding the Osbourne's and us at Management came to was that holding them anywhere other than Streets of America would be going against Mr. Osbourne's wishes, something that came directly from Tristan and Family. It seemed disrespectful to relocate them after such a longstanding tradition in a location important to him. Mr. Osbourne viewed Streets of America as a symbol of the American neighborhood and how a unifying force of peace could bring everyone joy. Without streets of America, moving it would've been tarnishing to that ideology, therefore when streets of America closed so did the Osbourne show. Fact check before you try to insult and defame. And the crickets begin to chirp...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The agreement and understanding the Osbourne's and us at Management came to was that holding them anywhere other than Streets of America would be going against Mr. Osbourne's wishes, something that came directly from Tristan and Family. It seemed disrespectful to relocate them after such a longstanding tradition in a location important to him. Mr. Osbourne viewed Streets of America as a symbol of the American neighborhood and how a unifying force of peace could bring everyone joy. Without streets of America, moving it would've been tarnishing to that ideology. Fact check before you try to insult and defame.

I did fact check you. Tristan's husband doesn't mention that at all and says displaying the lights at some time in the future is still a possibility. And I quote, "and my wife and mother in law decided that it was time to let them end... at least for a little while."

NoChesterHester

Sundown

@Disnerd2003, just wanted to say thanks for your work on Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. It's a terrific, terrific attraction.

And as far as the changing soundtrack to Pandora...I had suspected it changed! Soooo cool to learn that it actually was designed to be this way. I couldn't find an answer any other place I searched. Truly a great atmosphere theming Imagineers.

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
I did fact check you. Tristan's husband doesn't mention that at all and says displaying the lights at some time in the future is still a possibility. And I quote, "and my wife and mother in law decided that it was time to let them end... at least for a little while."
Obviously not well enough. They decided to let it end rather than be relocated due to the reason I listed above... I literally sat in the meeting where they decided to let it end as a result of the closure of SOA. Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom