Inside Edition undercover report on WDW hotels. 5:58 pm eastern

jmicro59

So if you pay top dollar for a deluxe hotel room at WDW, you should expect for the quality to be compromised?

I'm sorry. But that's ridiculous. With the rates Disney charges, they ought to either pay more (if you're of the mind that low wages lead to poor or unsanitary work performance) or price the rooms according to the cleaning staff's work habits.

I agree with you said and I'd like to take this one step further, I'm sick and tired of hearing how manual labor jobs are so bad and how the people who do this type of work basically get a free pass for NOT DOING THEIR JOB properly. You want a better job, get an education and get a better job. Don't like doing manual labor, then don't do it, do some other job. WDW or whatever comany pays you a salary to do a job, if it's cleaning up rooms then that's what you do. This doesn't mean you skimp on doing your job it means you DO YOUR JOB. If the cleaning people are supposed to clean drinking glasses then it should get done end of story and my rant.

coasterphil

1 bad tale doesnt mean it happens all the time. and lets be honest, hotels can be worst.....but when its disney or a famous chain or what not they try to over expose it

This is far from a one time thing. Those glasses never see a true cleaning, just a quick rinse in hot water. Look at the housekeeping carts, do you ever see a bunch of glasses stacked up on them? Just be glad that this isn't like the story they did in Atlanta that started this whole drinking glass expose craze where they were using toxic chemicals to wash it and wiping it down with a toilet rag.

True Knowledge

When I throw down $300 a night for a room, plus all of all the other fees they get you, and 1000s of others, with (food, park tickets, etc.) I'd expect that they would pay their maids or at least the maids supervisor enough to prevent this kind of stuff.

So yeah theres worse stuff out there, like I'm sure the Motel 8 off I-95 skimps worse then this, but I only paid 60 bucks for that.

wdwmomof3

When I throw down $300 a night for a room, plus all of all the other fees they get you, and 1000s of others, with (food, park tickets, etc.) I'd expect that they would pay their maids or at least the maids supervisor enough to prevent this kind of stuff.

So yeah theres worse stuff out there, like I'm sure the Motel 8 off I-95 skimps worse then this, but I only paid 60 bucks for that.

This is true.

I wish I had a camper...:lol:

goalman43

OH dear lord in heaven!! They wash the cups with their bare hands! Heaven forbid. There might be germs in the room!

To all of you germaphobic paranoids out there, who wash your hands 84 times a day, and and use purell everytime they touch anything in public (by the way you are also the people causing anibiotic resistance and who will eventually create the superbug you so fear) GET A LIFE!!!! There are germs everywhere, there always have been there always will be. They're in your house, on you sink, in your car, and yes in Disneyworld. They're always around! Relax, live a little, stop worrying about them so much. You guys are the ones that get sicker more often than us regular non-germaphobes. You know why? Its called acquired immunity. If you dont get exposed your body cant make antibodies, so when you do get exposed, and you will, you get sicker faster, because you have no immunity.

People, please stop falling for the media fodder, fear machine cranked out on the news every night. When you stop paying attention, they'll stop shovelling it down you throat.

Sorry for the rant.:(

Tom Morrow

Through the years there have always been these types of investigations about hotel rooms. Hotel rooms are just gross...it does not matter where the hotel is located, how expensive it is, or how clean it "appears" to be.
I NEVER use the glasses....we just bring plastic or paper cups. In fact, when we stay at the vacation club villas at WDW, the first night I run all of the dishes we will be using through the dishwasher myself so I know they are clean.
And I always bring my own little travel coffee maker. Have you ever looked in or smelled a coffee pot in a hotel room?:hurl:
We also pack a container of clorox wipes and wipe down the toilet and sink area, and I stand on towel in the shower.
And I always wear socks or house shoes in the room....after 10 minutes the bottoms of my socks are always BLACK, no matter if I am at Motel 6 or the Four Seasons. This even happened in the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in....The Princeville Hotel in Kauai....black socks within 15 minutes of walking around the room.
I also never sit on the bedspread, or touch the blanket. We pull the bedspread off as soon as we get in.
I may sound paranoid to some of you, but hotel rooms are DISGUSTING!!
The germs!! THEY'RE....... EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

If you're worried about germs from hotel rooms... then I recommend wearing plastic around yourself when you sit down in any ride vehicle.

I'm not excusing what the maid did - they should clean it correctly - but like others in this thread have said, its really nothing to freak out about. Regardless of how "dirty" your hotel room might be, anywhere you sit in the parks is worse.

DisneyAnole

I personally think it's funny that so many of the posts in this thread assume if you think this is a big deal then somehow you're a germaphobe.

They don't get that a $300 room rate should entitle you to a certain level of cleanliness. But don't bother arguing it. They'll just say you're negative and you hate Disney, etc. etc. etc.

maxime29

Premium Member

Sums up my opinion.

Sherrybaby

I think the whole thing is bunk. I have travelled all over the world and only got sick one time in Mexico while staying with a local family and I'm sure it's because they did not always use bottled water when cooking. I never got sick anywhere else. But you have to follow the "rules". When in a 3rd world country don't even brush your teeth with the water--always use purified and make sure you rinse the cups and stuff with the same water.

As far as hotel rooms I have been in hundreds and hundreds. We use the cups, we use the coffeemakers and everything else available. No sickness. I have not wasted any time cleaning my room with Clorox or stripping the beds.

This stuff can even happen in your home. Have any teenagers? My home office is right next to the bathroom. I can tell you that I have never ONCE heard that sink go on after one of my son's friends has used the bathroom. But I don't go in there and clean it every day.

Germs are germs are germs. Do I use Purell? Sure. Do I want to get sick? No. Sure it's gross to use a toilet towel to clean a cup but I'm not going to sit and worry about all of this or clean a hotel room before I go into it and waste my time.

Sherry.

MSTINKHERBELL01

I saw the expose and wow..I was in awe! I never use the cups and pay extra care when sleeping in the beds at any hotel...lol. Never using the comforter bc I was told that they dont wash them everyday. Heck, I dont wash my own everyday:shrug:

polarboi

OH dear lord in heaven!! They wash the cups with their bare hands! Heaven forbid. There might be germs in the room!

Um, the problem here isn't that they're washing cups with their bare hands.

The problem is that the cups aren't being washed at all. Just rinsed out.

Would you eat at a restaurant that gave you a fork another customer had just eaten off of, without using any soap on it first? If so, go right ahead, but I wouldn't. That's what's happening here.

The story that started this whole thing is here:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/hotelglasses.asp

Note: The story I just linked above is NOT about Disney. It's other chains. The new story (which I haven't seen yet) is at the Contemporary, but what surprises me is that after all the publicity that the previous stories have gotten, that Disney didn't make sure to alter its own policies before they got caught too. They've had plenty of time; these stories have been going around for a while now.

-p.b. :cool:

1disneydood

:eek: I thank my maker my wife didn't see this episode.
*does sign of the cross with crossed fingers while other hand knocks on wood*:lookaroun

dcibrando

my favorite comment to germaphobes is when people go to a public bathroom and always wash their hands... but then open the door to exit the same way everyone else does...even those that don't wash their hands...kinda funny if you think about it....most of us do it.

66Stella

And I always bring my own little travel coffee maker. Have you ever looked in or smelled a coffee pot in a hotel room?:hurl:
I also never sit on the bedspread, or touch the blanket. We pull the bedspread off as soon as we get in.
I may sound paranoid to some of you, but hotel rooms are DISGUSTING!!

Okay as far as the coffe pot goes...good move on your part. My sis-in-law is a flight attendant and when they have a one night stop over guess what they use the coffe pot for? Cleaning their panty hose:eek: Needless to say I NEVER use the hotel coffee pots. And as for the bedspread, I am paranoid also, not only does the spread get ripped off, but we bring our own pillow cases and the sheets get sprayed with LYSOL while we are unpacking...okay so I say paranoid or not, at least I get a good nights sleep!

hrcollectibles

And what if someone with dirty hands was the person who stacked/packaged those bottles?

Do you clean them too?

No?

Watch out, you might get hepatitis and 85874385894359 other diseases!

Same could be said about the straws we drink from or the soubenier cups .. nothing is safe anymore.. nothing

brkgnews

What is the deal with this story. The local news here in Kansas City ran the same story about glasses. The funny thing was the local CBS and the local NBC affiliates ran the same story on the same night featuring the same hotels.

It was obvious this was some sort of media conglomerate story. Both channels showed hotels that were out of town. So this type of story ran on every local station across the country. Then a nationally syndicated program decided to play gotcha with Disney.

It is kind of gross when you think about it. I won't be using glasses in any hotel from now on.

Bingo. The first one was WAGA (Fox) in Atlanta, and several other "I-Team"s around the country did the same thing after seeing how popular the story was. It's the big investigation du jour.

I didn't use hotel galsses before anyway. Call me a bad environmentalist, but I prefer it when they give you the plastic-wrapped disposable cups.

By the way... a followup just aired on WAGA, and showed some hotels even using dirty washcloths to clean the glasses, and in one instance a dirty towel the housekeeper had just used to clean the floor. :hurl:

Bottom line... it probably isn't happening in EVERY case, but it is happening.

Laura

Premium Member
Wow this thread has certainly opened my naive eyes. I guess I had always assumed that after you leave the room it was some sort of policy to take ALL the glasses out of the room and bring them to some restaurant quality disinfecting dishwasher and replace them with glasses fresh out of the dishwasher. I had no idea they just rinsed them in the sink. *gag gag gag*

The last few years I've just brought my own bathroom cups, but more because I go through tons of them taking various pills throughout the day. I wasn't even thinking about sanitation.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
my favorite comment to germaphobes is when people go to a public bathroom and always wash their hands... but then open the door to exit the same way everyone else does...even those that don't wash their hands...kinda funny if you think about it....most of us do it.

I always use either the paper towel to grab the door or my gloves....I just love a bathroom with automatic soap, water, and dryers and openings that are around the corner with NO doors...makes public washrooms a better place...

LOL when I talk to people about the public bathrooms in many european countries that are simply ancient holes in the floor....somehow they all flourish over there.

I usually do not use the glasses in the room, but bring back some extra cups from wherever....and keep my bottle of water by bedside. Not too fond of Orlando water/smell....except when in Splash Mountain....:D

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
We just got back and 3 of us got sick....germ exposure was at an all time high...seemed every single person we came in contact with had a deep wet cough....from the parking shuttle van driver, to the baggage check person, two children in front of us in line to board....one ran with mother to puke in garbage can and other mother commented that her daughter needed some tylenol but it was packed...I looked down to see a very droopy feverish child...gee and that was all before we even LEFT home!!!:lookaroun Harsh wet coughs abounded everywhere at the parks....nice lady talking to me the whole boat ride over to MK confided as we got off that she was glad they were leaving later as she felt really bad and had a severe sore throat.......all my children got bronchitis during middle of trip....figured it was inevitable....and we discovered Urgent Care and their little shuttle service. Thankful this has never happened on any of our other ventures to WDW....but that's life....germs happen....:eek::D...get on with life! :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom