Input from Christmas at WDW vet's

DVC4bestvacations

We will be staying at the BWV Christmas week. Yes we know its very crowded. Just looking for some input from those of you that have visited that parks at this time. Our visits have always been laid back. Commando for us making rope drop and staying in the parks until noon. Relaxing and returning in the evening. We intend to stay away from the MK on Christmas day (maybe all of the parks).

lostpro9het

We will be hitting up our 4th Christmas week in 6 years this year. We are far from vets but have an idea. I remember our first year we were all gung-ho rope drop or die Touring plan toting zealots. By last year's Christmas trip we felt we had it figured out. Like you described above, we try to avoid the parks between 12:30-4:00. You can get a lot of riding in between rope drop and 11:30 then chillax at the resort or pool for a few hours to get your second wind and hit the parks again in the evening. Additionally, you can get a lot of riding done between and hour before regular closing and EMH closing. There is a 2-3 hour window where, even on Chritsmas Eve, you can just do laps on POC, BTM, HM and so on. If you never done any tours we've found that 12:30-4:00 window a good time to take some in. We did the Epcot Seas Tour last year and loved it so much we are doing it again this year. Not sure I've ever seen my DD smile so much after an experience. IMO, you can still have a laid back approach to Christmas week so long as you have patience. Oh, and yeah we avoid MK on Chirstmas day like the plague!

Upvote 0

tare

We have gone for the last 5 yrs for Christmas time at the beginning of dec. not on actual Christmas week. Far too crowded. Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We have gone for the last 5 yrs for Christmas time at the beginning of dec. not on actual Christmas week. Far too crowded. Have a great trip.

This. Sorry I don't have any advice except "good luck"

I worked at MK (Pirates) on Christmas day 2003....yeah...

Last time I visited "The World" as a guest over Christmas was 1986 and I was 7 - all i remember is lines, lines, lines.

Upvote 0

HollyAD

I have done the week after Christmas a few times and the week before once. The crowds during the day can be really intense. I agree with leaving during the busiest hours and then returning in the afternoon as I just took this approach in July. The worst I have ever seen MK was New Years Eve. There were people just sitting on the ground every where waiting for Wishes and the Electric Parade. SO many people that they let people entering the park go through a short cut to Tomorrowland that was an employee only area. Luckily we had some fast passes we obtained that morning. We still had some waits that night but overall we had a good time. We love the holidays at Disney but now I am an adult and pay for the trips myself, I prefer to spend my money during less busy times.

Upvote 0

luv

What kind of input are you looking for?

It's crowded as heck. There will be lines for EVERYTHING. Lines for all the attractions, characters, bathrooms, busses/boats/monorails, cash registers (I waited nearly ten minutes once before I put the purse back and that wasn't even at Christmas), fast food, etc. Many long lines. And SO many people.

The parks (especially the MK) may hit their max and stop allowing people in.

It may be warm, but it may be cold.

Pack your patience and have a good time!

Upvote 0

DVC4bestvacations

Original Poster
Thanks Lost pro. We have never gone the commando way no matter when we have visited WDW. We are hoping there will be warm weather so we can put the pools to use. But if its not we'll find something else to do. This will be the first time in many years that we will have a car. We will be driving from NJ as the airfares for late December are way too high.

luv: Patience is my middle name just don't run over me with a stroller or an electric wheel chair!

Holly: We prefer the quiet times also. This will most likely be our one and only time during the holidays.

Upvote 0

Crazydisneyfanluke

I usually go around Christmas for sightseeing and to hit a few rides, see the holiday entertainment. I go from New Years Eve-Jan 3rd. Then go for other events like F&G in the spring when its not as busy.

Upvote 0

chuckd3

We have been there Christmas Week 3 of the last 5 years. Get there for Rope Drop and ride till 11:30 am. Have lunch then go to hotels or DTD. Go back to the parks late and stay till closing. You will be amazed at how you will miss the crowds! World Showcase is usually not too bad even in the middle of the day.

Upvote 0

smk

Been to MK twice on Christmas morning and it was empty both times. It picks up a lot in the afternoon when every one is done with presents and church services. However, we never had a problem, we are not commando parks people either, we just go with the flow. My favorite memories of the MK are of Christmas night, fireworks with all my family, riding the tea cups and strolling. We plan on going again in a few years when my grandson is a little older, he is just 9 months old now, so I have a few years to go before I can make more of those kinds of family memories again. But I have enough fond ones to carry me thru!

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

If you're there a few days before Christmas, be sure to visit each of the countries and share in their holiday traditions and 'visitors'...not all are Santa or Father Christmas. Our children were 5 & 8 when we took them for Christmas. There best memory was how Santa had found them at WDW (POFQ) and left them a few trinkets and a note saying that he'd leave everything else at their home (my brother set-up all their gifts after we had left)...years later they were still trying to figure out how I had smuggled the trinkets into the luggage w/o them seeing it (I told them that all moms are born with magical powers...for years my daughter asked when she would get her magical powers...I said they come when you become a mom...still no magical powers for her...) They were also excited because we brought our mousekeeper a Christmas present and left it for her on Christmas morning when we left for the day...they returned to the room with a gift from the mousekeeper (2 tubes of M&Ms with a Mickey and Minnie head, respectively).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom