Innoventions West to Close in May?

build_it

In recent years, I've often thought it would be a good move to repurpose that entire side of the plaza and move It's a Small World into that space. Repaint the building a solid monochromatic color (white perhaps) then use all the windows as a view into the loading area. Have a Mary Blair inspired mural or wall along the back of the load in area that you can see through the windows. This would allow for an update of IASW, fill a need, and create an opportunity for additions to fantasyland. This could be a win IMHO.

wdwfan4ver

I have no problems with Innoventions West closing due to the fact Innoventions really failed at what its purpose was. There actually is no way to keep up with the latest technology in terms of stuff being replaced quickly.

What I sense Disney is going to use it for and what it needs to be used for is 2 different things. I see Innoventions West being used for the Food and Wine Festival like Wonders of Life is based on how Disney does things instead repurposing it for a ride or a show.

chiefs11

What I sense Disney is going to use it for and what it needs to be used for is 2 different things. I see Innoventions West being used for the Food and Wine Festival like Wonders of Life is based on how Disney does things instead repurposing it for a ride or a show.

I have no problem with that if it means WoL turns back into a real attraction.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
There actually is no way to keep up with the latest technology in terms of stuff being replaced quickly.
The thing I'm not 100% in agreement on, especially in the Communicore/Innoventions space, is that I don't feel it's impossible to keep up with technology!
It's impossible maybe in a ride, an attraction, I agree that it is likely impossible (or more likely, financially impractical) to keep up with modern technology.
But in a large open space like Innoventions (or really, like what Communicore used to be)? I don't see why not. I don't see why this can't operate more like a technology expo like E3 (though one with sections built to last months, not days). Something that can be swapped out fairly quickly (a matter of days, less than a week), updated constantly, and give people the feeling that they really are participating in future technology.
It's likely a cost constraint, sure. It would cost more to do that. It would require constant work. Ok. Legal would likely have lots of work on their hands to keep building contracts with new vendors/partners. Check.
But impossible? Nah.

PhotoDave219

That completely and totally misses the point. The very last thing Future World needs is yet another closed and vacant building (Wonders of life, Odyssey, Imagination upstairs, and now Innoventions West). That's undeniably a lot of space in one area which is closed off to Epcot guests (granted, some areas are used for special events, but were intended as theme-park space).

A refurbishment which puts something new in the space is a different story, but we would all be suspicious Disney would close the space down now and then wait many months or even years before doing anything.

And as already pointed out, the future is not now; It is yet to come, and (obviously) always will be. Attractions and exhibits portraying that upcoming future will by definition always have a place, but you have to keep up as technology changes. You can't build something today - for the future - and then leave it alone for 20 years until it becomes a history exhibit instead. Disney has too much a tendancy to do that.

Uh, No. Just No.

What this guy said.

This seems to be the result of "slippery slope". You can't have main buildings at te front sitting vacant.

One would think/hope that this space will be utilized in a way that does not involve private rentals the way Oddsey Or WOL has gone for 15 years.

That's a lot of space you can use. Just hope it's also not retail/restaurant.

But knowing the way Glenndale has behaved in the past 8-10 years.... I'm not optimistic.

ILOVEDISNEY

Wow! What's next to go? Might as well bulldoze the whole park and start over. Just kidding. I just don't want to see another gift shop. A nice restaurant would be a welcome addition. Funny, I just talked to a long time Inno CM and he was upbeat about getting all his bids for the coming year. I guess the closing will be a shock to him.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Guys...Guys.....I think we all know what needs to make a comeback within that spot....;)

6973584777_02bf036983.jpg

epcot_pasta_piazza_3-3-01.jpg

wdwfan4ver

In recent years, I've often thought it would be a good move to repurpose that entire side of the plaza and move It's a Small World into that space. Repaint the building a solid monochromatic color (white perhaps) then use all the windows as a view into the loading area. Have a Mary Blair inspired mural or wall along the back of the load in area that you can see through the windows. This would allow for an update of IASW, fill a need, and create an opportunity for additions to fantasyland. This could be a win IMHO.

It is not a win for Future World if It's a Small World gets located there. It's a Small world actually ruin Future World because of the nature of it's a small world ride. That ride actually has nothing that would fit in Future World from a theme standpoint based what Future World is supposed to showcase. Future World supposed to show energy, Imagination, Seas, Transportation, Space, and communications.

Carousel of Progress makes more sense for Epcot although I question if Disney wants to spend the money for moving, gutting and adding stuff that Tomorrowland spot and the COP spot for Epcot. COP leaving tomorrow land would start a trend of fixing it if they get a rid of SGE also. COP would be fit Epcot better due to fact it show progress in terms of how it affects the lives of people in terms of different eras.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

The thing I'm not 100% in agreement on, especially in the Communicore/Innoventions space, is that I don't feel it's impossible to keep up with technology!
It's impossible maybe in a ride, an attraction, I agree that it is likely impossible (or more likely, financially impractical) to keep up with modern technology.
But in a large open space like Innoventions (or really, like what Communicore used to be)? I don't see why not. I don't see why this can't operate more like a technology expo like E3 (though one with sections built to last months, not days). Something that can be swapped out fairly quickly (a matter of days, less than a week), updated constantly, and give people the feeling that they really are participating in future technology.
It's likely a cost constraint, sure. It would cost more to do that. It would require constant work. Ok. Legal would likely have lots of work on their hands to keep building contracts with new vendors/partners. Check.
But impossible? Nah.
I was looking at cost for keeping up because of how Disney operates on why I claim it is hard to keep up with technology.

I am very familiar with E3, and the Consumer Electronic Shows dating back to the 1990's. Eisner depended on Companies to keep their area updated with technology and they did a bad job of it later on on. Doing an Expo is fine if there is enough Companies that are willing to do so.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I was looking at cost for keeping up because of how Disney operates on why I claim it is hard to keep up with technology.

I am very familiar with E3, and the Consumer Electronic Shows dating back to the 1990's. Eisner depended on Companies to keep their area updated with technology and they did a bad job of it later on on. Doing an Expo is fine if there is enough Companies that are willing to do so.
Yup, it's more expensive, it's more work, therefore it's not happening.
It should happen though.

Oh well, chalk it up to another of the many things that should have been done.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It is not a win for Future World if It's a Small World gets located there. It's a Small world actually ruin Future World because of the nature of it's a small world ride. That ride actually has nothing that would fit in Future World from a theme standpoint based what Future World is supposed to showcase. Future World supposed to show energy, Imagination, Seas, Transportation, Space, and communications.
Agreed. Small World shares some thematic congruity with World Showcase, so if it were to move (which it will not), WS is the place for it.
If they're going to build new large show buildings in World Showcase though (that are not for meet and greets), they should invest in building a true event/festival pavilion in World Showcase. Locate the festival events closer to where the event actually takes place, and gives them "back" a pavilion to work with in Future World.
Again, I don't see any of this happening though. At this rate, Epcot's 40th anniversary in 2022 is going to be one sad occasion.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Wow! What's next to go? Might as well bulldoze the whole park and start over. Just kidding. I just don't want to see another gift shop. A nice restaurant would be a welcome addition. Funny, I just talked to a long time Inno CM and he was upbeat about getting all his bids for the coming year. I guess the closing will be a shock to him.
IMO, the last thing Epcot needs is another restaurant.

Ok, the last thing Epcot needs is another empty pavilion.
The second to last thing Epcot needs is another restaurant. World Showcase is basically nothing but restaurants and merch locations. There are plenty of places for people to eat.

Future World needs attractions.

DC0703

Wow. Well, on one hand, InnoWest is a place that I have not stepped foot into since the 90s. I didn't even know what was in there, only that it wasn't anything noteworthy. I would be completely on board with the space getting re-purposed.

On the other hand, Epcot has a problem with vacant space/buildings. Given the position of InnoWest, I wouldn't be against using that as the ground zero for events, IF that meant Wonders of Life would get re-purposed with a ride. Unfortunately, I only see the first half of that equation happening.

Given that all three of the other parks have had or are in the midst of major updates, maybe Epcot will be getting the same at some point. I can hope...

majortom1981

Hmm maybe the moving of the carousel of progress is true? Maybe they will move the carousel to the wonders of life pavilion , then make the innovations west space the special events space leaving the carousel of progress space in the magic kingdom for something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom