Innoventions Habit Heroes closes for rework

janoimagine

If you looked around threads concerning ECVs, some would try to have you convinced that the ECV use all stems from legitimate health issues. When you point out that there weren't so many "health issues" back in the 1980s, the argument then shifts to the supposed fact that it's because those people were shamed into not going out in public back then because society wasn't as accepting and accessible.

Nevermind the fact that statistics clearly show our national obesity rate is clearly increasing. I suppose those numbers are somehow lying, too.

I agree that there are right and wrong ways to convey messages in theme park attractions, and this might have bordered on the "wrong way." That doesn't change the fact that it's an incredibly important message.

Agree 100%. Perhaps it wasn't the most tactful of ways to address obesity, however I find the current media backlash bordering on absurd.

NewfieFan

Good point. Because parents are presently doing such an exceptional job with tackling this issue.

Getting a little off topic here but... my husband who's a family doctor has had parents in his office saying, "I just don't know what to do, all they (the children) eat is junk food!" So my husband is like, "Well, who buys the junk food and puts it in the house?" It's like the parents don't have a clue how their children got big and what they can do about it! :hammer: If the bag of chips is not in the house then Johnny can't eat it! :brick:

Even though Canada is slightly healthy than our neighbours, my province is probably the worst. And yes, it is more expensive to buy healthier food here and it is slighter harder to come by in rural areas... but the fact still remains that parents are choosing to feed their children this way and it blows my mind!

RSoxNo1

Can we make sure that all of the children that are embarrassed by this, or that feel bullied by this get a participation trophy?

Yes, it's a little harsh - but what a load of crap. Instead of going after Disney for this attraction, why not use some of that energy for something positive.

draybook

Getting a little off topic here but... my husband who's a family doctor has had parents in his office saying, "I just don't know what to do, all they (the children) eat is junk food!" So my husband is like, "Well, who buys the junk food and puts it in the house?" It's like the parents don't have a clue how their children got big and what they can do about it! :hammer: If the bag of chips is not in the house then Johnny can't eat it! :brick:

Totally agree. My sister in law and her husband adopted a young boy a while back, I believe he was about 2 when they brought him home. They do a terrible job of telling him no when it comes to junk food, or any food for that matter. He throws a fit until they give in, which I keep telling them is not okay. I will give them credit though, they put him in recreational soccer, so that helps a little bit. The ironic thing is that he looks exactly like the kid from UP. If you put him in a cub scouts uniform it would be a %100 match.

What I find ironic about situations like this one is that one group complains about the other "forcing" it's beliefs or whatever have you upon them, but that's exactly what the first group is doing. If they tweak the attraction to make it a great experience for everyone then I hope they keep it.

HMF

Because of poverty, inner city diets are among the worst amongst our kids today. But you don't just say 'let them eat cookies, get diabetes and die' ...
That seems to be the message I am hearing from some politicians and a certain cable news channel.

daikonjam

I just wonder where this will go. What will be next? Disney doesn't have as much as an issue with patrons not fitting into rides (only two I know are the roller coast simulators at Innovations and Disney Quest) but imagine if Universal had to rethink everything over a few people feeling shamed.

That's a whooooole 'nother ball park, Universal has a lot of problems with that.

I watched a video of the habit heroes attraction, and yes, I think the message is good but they went about it all wrong. 'Positive peer pressure'? Are you kidding? I know when I was a kid they taught us to discourage ALL Peer Pressure, so this coming from Disney is pretty bad.

And they're criminalizing being fat. I'm personally big, and I'm working on living a healthier lifestyle and losing weight. But weight/=/health. This seems to be more about aesthetics than actual HEALTH. If they went about this in a WOL kind of fashion, it would me much more widely received.

I was teased SO MUCH when I was a kid, and I'm sensitive too (much more so when I was a kid) so if I saw this when I was a kid, it would probably make me cry because I resemble the villains more than the heroes, and that would make me feel like a bad person.

Like I, and most other people said, good message, baaaaaad execution.

ToTBellHop

That's a whooooole 'nother ball park, Universal has a lot of problems with that.

I watched a video of the habit heroes attraction, and yes, I think the message is good but they went about it all wrong. 'Positive peer pressure'? Are you kidding? I know when I was a kid they taught us to discourage ALL Peer Pressure, so this coming from Disney is pretty bad.

And they're criminalizing being fat. I'm personally big, and I'm working on living a healthier lifestyle and losing weight. But weight/=/health. This seems to be more about aesthetics than actual HEALTH. If they went about this in a WOL kind of fashion, it would me much more widely received.

I was teased SO MUCH when I was a kid, and I'm sensitive too (much more so when I was a kid) so if I saw this when I was a kid, it would probably make me cry because I resemble the villains more than the heroes, and that would make me feel like a bad person.

Like I, and most other people said, good message, baaaaaad execution.

If I were Disney, I would have just painted this on the wall and called it a day:
MenBMIMort.png
WomenBMIMort.png

Of course, using BMI alone is highly flawed, especially for athletes.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I'm fat. It's unhealthy. If you'd like to point and laugh, please do, it might motivate me to get my fat a$$ to the gym more often.

. . . but probably not.

:lookaroun

HMF

:wave:

At least somebody does.

Everybody else is saying: "Who's that fatty over there eating the wings and cheese-steak?":lookaroun

Very Philadelphian snack., Anyway, I am starting to think the name "Innoventions" does not make sense for the pavilion anymore since it no longer seems to be a showcase for futuristic technology and more of a Hodge-podge of corporate sponsored educational exhibits.

Clever Name

I think what it all boils down to is being different. Tall people, short people, skinny people, bald people and redheaded people all get kidded about their looks. So do fat people. But there’s an important difference. Excess fat is very unhealthy and is a direct cause of other serious diseases and premature death. :wave:

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
What was your issue with the execution? I thought that for an Innoventions exhibit it was probably second only to Sum of All Thrills.

Two of my favorite Innoventions exhibits.. why? because I can't fit on the Sum of All Thrills... and now I looked like a Super Villain. I know I'm fat but that was the most depressing thing that has ever happened to me in Disney Word when the restraint barely didn't click.. It was so close. I stood in that dark alley in between Innoventions and the Electric Umbrella and moped around for about 5 minutes afterwards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom