Injury Advice Needed

willtravel

"Head-knockers". I like that. Unfortunately, my last 3 visits to WDW I skipped this attraction permanently for that very reason. There is/was a ride at Kings Island that is/was indoor coaster. I want to call it Outer Limits but not sure, Had the same problem there. One time was enough. We left early that day. Haven't been back since then. I always thought it was because I was short and sat low in seat...

21stamps

"Head-knockers". I like that. Unfortunately, my last 3 visits to WDW I skipped this attraction permanently for that very reason. There is/was a ride at Kings Island that is/was indoor coaster. I want to call it Outer Limits but not sure, Had the same problem there. One time was enough. We left early that day. Haven't been back since then. I always thought it was because I was short and sat low in seat...

It’s still there! It’s called Flight of Fear now.. kiddo was finally tall enough to ride it for the first time this past Sunday! After riding, he said- “ That was like a cross between Space Mountain and Rockin Rollercoaster, but scarier. Let’s do it again!”

I’ll add that I have been in pain after a couple of coasters, and I flew up here to ride Son of Beast when it opened.. that ride beat the heck out of me. Insta-headache.

What's crazy to me is this happened on Rockin Rollercoaster which is probably THE smoothest rollercoaster I've ever been on, and I've been to multiple Six Flags theme parks, both Universal and IoA and I've also been to Cedar Point as well. The hardest point of "force" is at the launch and at the first inversion which is actually a smooth inversion and higher G force, but in both cases, the force is put on your back...not your front area where your clavicle is.

I mean did the ride come to a complete stop suddenly?

This is why I keep asking.

I too have been on many rollercoasters.. I live literally a few minutes away from a Cedar Fair Park. You haven’t known “beat up” until you ride a wooden coaster called The Beast. I could actually understand an injury on that, or even a shoulder harness steel ride called The Vortex, which is also very rough.. or the old Mean Streak at Cedar Point..

But Rockin Rollercoaster? There’s not any major airtime that I can think of, the forces are continually pushing you back against your seat.

correcaminos

Shorter people do deal with that on this ride. But once you get to average height it isn't an issue. That said is not at all like what the OP was talking about either. My ears get it if I don't sit back further with my head back. Hurt more due to 10 piercings too, but after a ride or two I figured or how to ride without issues

willtravel

Shorter people do deal with that on this ride. But once you get to average height it isn't an issue. That said is not at all like what the OP was talking about either. My ears get it if I don't sit back further with my head back. Hurt more due to 10 piercings too, but after a ride or two I figured or how to ride without issues
I am 5' 2in tall. I am of average height and it bothered me. I am aware of what the OP is talking about but prior to my post "head knockers" was mentioned and that is what I felt on the ride. Glad to read you have no problems.

wagner1225

In those type of claims they need to be reported instantly, as the claim would be for negligence as you would have to prove it, I have rode that ride over the years and it is very fast and the G Forces keep you pinned to the seat until the end, its not as bouncy as Space Mountain, Good luck

21stamps

I am 5' 2in tall. I am of average height and it bothered me. I am aware of what the OP is talking about but prior to my post "head knockers" was mentioned and that is what I felt on the ride. Glad to read you have no problems.
I’m 5’7 and I have to remove my earrings when riding the vortex. I get it!

correcaminos

First, I was agreeing with you about it not being great. Second, I'm sorry to say but 5'2" is not average height even for a woman, so you would be not considered 'average' in my book. I'm a few inches shorter than you too, and as I said I had to learn how to sit to not have it bother me. The first few times bothered me. My son as well, but I forgot to remind him to hold his head back - though in his case he'll outgrow it.

I work as a paralegal for an insurance company. 95% of the cases we defend are due to the carelessness of the person making the claim. We have had cases where people have tripped over the bright yellow speed bump barrier in parking lots of restaurants. They then sue the restaurant for negligence. Most of the time the insurance companies will pay up, but you have to be prepared to provide medical records for the past 10 years (in my experience) that will be picked apart to make sure that your injury couldn't have been caused by anything else. If I were you, I would just contact a personal injury lawyer and get in for a free consultation. Avoid the big firms (ahem... Morgan & Morgan) and prepare for it to take a few years for it to be done and over with. I currently have cases on my case load that have been open for over 5 years (since suit was filed and Alabama is a 2-year statute state, so 7 years since the injury occured).

Good luck!
Can you recommend anyone besides the big lawyers? Thanks!

ljransom

Why must people try and claim for everything? I'm glad here in the UK we haven't adopted this attitude to try and claim compensation for every little injury. I would be a millionaire by now lol. Surely if you felt it wasn't tight enough you could pull it down further yourself? That's what i always do.. Best just to move on, these things happen.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Why must people try and claim for everything? I'm glad here in the UK we haven't adopted this attitude to try and claim compensation for every little injury. I would be a millionaire by now lol. Surely if you felt it wasn't tight enough you could pull it down further yourself? That's what i always do.. Best just to move on, these things happen.
While I agree with your "these things happen" observation, a broken clavicle is 'way outside the normal experience on RnRC. Which brings this classic movie clip to mind...

eliza61nyc

March 10, 2018: I was injured riding the Aerosmith Rocking Roller Coaster. The restraining harness was not all the way down to hold me in place. I tried to inform the ride attendant. I got slammed around pretty good. After the ride I knew something was wrong. I had instant pain in my left shoulder. About 10 days later, my shoulder was not getting any better so I sought ER care. After x-rays and an MRI it was discovered I had a fracture in my clavicle with severe edema surrounding the fracture. It is now 6 weeks later, I am still not healed and am now going through physical therapy. - What can be done or what should I do? Should/can I file a claim? Where do I begin?

First question, why are some folks assuming op wants financial compensation? I saw no post where he even remotely mentioned wanting anything???

Ok Tidefan,
I ran this by my sister in law who is a disability attorney for hte city of Philadelphia.

1) lol as always she recommends getting legal advice, which most folks here said. she too recommended staying away from the ambulance chasers, "morgan and Morgan".

2) contact Disney. We always assume maybe rightly that we will get the brush off, and you may but that's the first step to anything.

3) Document everything. all calls, all email, certified letters, every thing.
4) be specific. specific about the time, day, the injury, medical attention etc.

Good luck, regardless to what should have happened, how it happened or all the back seat "Physists" here, no one likes to come home with an injury. You may not like the answers you get but you do deserve to have your issues addressed.

HwdStudio

@Weather_Lady has given her recommendation and I would do exactly what she said to do. I think she is the most knowledgeable about this situation unless some of the others posters are lawyers and we just don’t know it. The diverse cast of members here is amazing and really makes WDWMagic a special place.

21stamps

First question, why are some folks assuming op wants financial compensation? I saw no post where he even remotely mentioned wanting anything???

Ok Tidefan,
I ran this by my sister in law who is a disability attorney for hte city of Philadelphia.

1) lol as always she recommends getting legal advice, which most folks here said. she too recommended staying away from the ambulance chasers, "morgan and Morgan".

2) contact Disney. We always assume maybe rightly that we will get the brush off, and you may but that's the first step to anything.

3) Document everything. all calls, all email, certified letters, every thing.
4) be specific. specific about the time, day, the injury, medical attention etc.

Good luck, regardless to what should have happened, how it happened or all the back seat "Physists" here, no one likes to come home with an injury. You may not like the answers you get but you do deserve to have your issues addressed.

I think some people are asking how and when it happened because the physics part of it is strange. Doesn’t mean it’s a lie, but I’m definitely curious about the answer just for my own understanding.
There shouldn’t be any harm or foul in answering that question.

Example-
Person A says. “I broke my leg last night at soccer practice!”
Person B inquires “oh no! How did it happen?!”
Person A. “I was at practice and it broke.”
Person B “ugh..um...ok.?”

The “how” or “what/when” will cause curiosity on any injury. In this case curiosity especially from people who spend a lot of time on rollercoasters, and unrelated- but probably a lot of time in an orthopedic’s office as well. Injuries do happen.. A break like that would be caused by a strong impact.. there has to be one part of the ride where he felt it.

Damon7777

. The restraining harness was not all the way down to hold me in place. I tried to inform the ride attendant.

TideFan,
the doctrine of 'last clear chance' crossed my mind and what percentage(comparative) you may have contributed to this injury, if any.

And if you contact a tort jurist I expect there will be a sporting chance Wife will find that she, too, has some standing to pursue some settlement under a 'loss of consortium' theory.

A last quick thought is this misplaced notion that guests 'assume risk' at Disney parks...........better to save that for established higher risk activities: skiing, scuba, race car driving, parasailing, shark diving, running with bulls, kissing cobras ect

Last edited:

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I think some people are asking how and when it happened because the physics part of it is strange. Doesn’t mean it’s a lie, but I’m definitely curious about the answer just for my own understanding.
There shouldn’t be any harm or foul in answering that question.

Example-
Person A says. “I broke my leg last night at soccer practice!”
Person B inquires “oh no! How did it happen?!”
Person A. “I was at practice and it broke.”
Person B “ugh..um...ok.?”

The “how” or “what/when” will cause curiosity on any injury. In this case curiosity especially from people who spend a lot of time on rollercoasters, and unrelated- but probably a lot of time in an orthopedic’s office as well. Injuries do happen.. A break like that would be caused by a strong impact.. there has to be one part of the ride where he felt it.

There are two places on the ride that I could see this injury happening. 1) During the corkscrew inversion. The forces there are more side-to-side rather than backwards. 2) If you aren't paying attention, the stop before unloading can be pretty intense. You could be sitting back in the seat and suddenly slammed forward into the restraint. BTW, Everest's stop is even worse, but you don't have the shoulder harness on that ride.

mousehockey37

This is post #78 citing the OP and wanting compensation.
Thank you. I have plenty of medical records from the military and civilian side proving no previous injury. I am not looking to get rich... only to have expenses covered, etc...[/QUOTE]

21stamps

There are two places on the ride that I could see this injury happening. 1) During the corkscrew inversion. The forces there are more side-to-side rather than backwards. 2) If you aren't paying attention, the stop before unloading can be pretty intense. You could be sitting back in the seat and suddenly slammed forward into the restraint. BTW, Everest's stop is even worse, but you don't have the shoulder harness on that ride.

Yeah, it could be one of those places. Especially if you were twisted a little bit, then maybe the sudden stop of motion would send you into the restraint at an odd angle.
I don’t know.. I wish OP would return. I’m genuinely curious.

DisneyDoctor

Don't go tainting other peoples' perception of your home country by making ignorant comments like this one. You don't know OPs intentions and haven't felt his pain. The man broke his clavicle, hardly a "little injury." Now, if OP explicitly said, "I want millions in compensation from Disney," then yeah, I agree, let it go. But is it so drastic to think that his intentions might be for the greater good? Maybe he wants to prevent something like this from happening to others in the future. You know what they say about assuming, right?

mousehockey37

Yeah, it could be one of those places. Especially if you were twisted a little bit, then maybe the sudden stop of motion would send you into the restraint at an odd angle.
I don’t know.. I wish OP would return. I’m genuinely curious.

Depending on what the OP is being advised of, if anything at this point, they may be being told to not post anything further.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom