info about FL DMV?

hcswingfield

Original Poster
You may have heard Vern and I are moving to the Orlando area next month. (happy dance!) Once I start work on Aug 8, it will be several months before I can take a day off to get a FL drivers license and to get plates for my car, so I need to do that before I start. HOWEVER, the first day of work I have to show a valid picture ID. Question for anyone who has moved to FL recently - do they issue you a Florida DL with a picture on it right away, or one of those temporary licenses? We'll be going to the Kissimmee DMV, if that makes any difference. If they issue a temporary license, do they keep your old out of state license? This happened to me when I moved to Texas, and made for a few tense hours on my first day at work. Luckily I had scanned my Alabama license before Texas DMV took it away.

Nemo14

I have no idea about that, Harry, but congratulations on the move!!!!
hurray.gif
hurray.gif
hurray.gif

nepalostparks

We just moved to Florida in February, and when we went for our license we were immediately issued a permanent photo ID/license. We did have to turn in our old licenses as well.

The Mom

Premium Member
I am old enough to remember temporary licenses. But things have improved, and you'll be issued a nice permanent one immediately.

Just remember to check the list of needed ID to get it - you need several forms of ID - with official seals - along with your SS card - original if possible. It changed about a year ago.

nepalostparks

I am old enough to remember temporary licenses. But things have improved, and you'll be issued a nice permanent one immediately.

Just remember to check the list of needed ID to get it - you need several forms of ID - with official seals - along with your SS card - original if possible. It changed about a year ago.

And don't forget your checkbook. And enough money in the bank to cover it. (It ain't cheap to register & plate a car and get a license in FL. At least not compared to PA.)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Florida is quite possibly the only state you can get away with out of state plates/license for a while. My former roommate there kept his Virginia plates until they expired, and then went ahead and switched his license.

Hell, my sister has had PR plates on one of her cars in Miami for close to 3 years.

MattC

And don't forget your checkbook. And enough money in the bank to cover it. (It ain't cheap to register & plate a car and get a license in FL. At least not compared to PA.)

Amen! Moved to Fl from Ga and it cost just under $500 for new tag. Kinda crazy if you ask me. The state website also says that you are required to switch over your tag and license within just a few days, 10 if I remember right. But I went months without switching. No body at the tag office will ask you how long you have been in Fl. All they care about is that you have all the ID and proof of address that they require. Oh, and money:)

nepalostparks

We got our Florida licenses and temporary car plates this morning, and then headed to Downtown Disney to get our annual passes. Had lunch at Tangerine Cafe at Epcot. Life is good! Thanks again for the advice.

Welcome to Florida!

The experience at the DMV was the most pleasant I've ever had.

You pay for the service, but I agree, outside of the wallet, it was a painless experience compared to the DMV process back in PA!

MattC

We got our Florida licenses and temporary car plates this morning, and then headed to Downtown Disney to get our annual passes. Had lunch at Tangerine Cafe at Epcot. Life is good! Thanks again for the advice.

Gotta love those Fla residents rates!

luv

The cost for the license didn't surprise me and I was pleased as punch that it is good for nine years!

The fee for the plates, on the other hand...Yikes!

Are you going with a regular plate or have you picked one of the specialty ones? I had fun selecting my Florida plate. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom