Indiana Jones Stunt Show Spectacular - Plane

Mickey92

Original Poster
Hi Guys,

I have always wondered how they have done the plane in this show. So:

1. How do they get power to the plane when its moving to make sure that the props are moving lights are on?
  2. How does it actually move?
  3. Does the pilot/pilot actor actually move the plane from inside the 'cockpit' or is it done automatically?
  4. Also, not related to the plane but relevant, when the jeep turns over and catches fire, why is it that the audience effectively see how to jeep is transported (By a bar...) and why is it not touching the ground, rather than flying. Have attached two pictures to further enhance my question. You can see the thing that moves the jeep and the jeep is flying rather than on the ground...
Thanks for your help!

Tristan

Attachments

• DSC_0604.jpg
    DSC_0604.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0605.jpg
    DSC_0605.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 154

Rob562

The Jeep thing is *supposed* to be a bit of "sleight of hand" where the audience is meant to *think* that it's the same Jeep that's exploding, flipping and crashing with the stuntwoman inside it.
But as you've mentioned, it's really a fake truck that's attached to the wall, and the switch is done out of sight of the audience. And it's not built so that the wheels actually touch the groun when it's rolling. Because the action seuqence happens so fast and there's so much else going on, many first-time viewers may not notice it, and think that it's the same truck. But repeat viewers notice the switch, as you have.

As for the plane, I don't know exactly how it's powered (though it's either electric or a lightweight engine), but it's definitely independently powered and steered by the person inside. I've been to a show where they really had to work extra long to get it set into its proper position. First they overshot the mark, then they backed up a little too much, then they finally got it in place. The person on the ground then locks the one wheel into whatever system they have on the ground. The plane pwoers itself around in a circle, but by locking it into the ground mechanism it allows the trapdoor to open at the proper time in the show when it's "wildly" spinning around in a circle.

There's a video on YouTube showing an incident during the show where one of the stuntmen came in contact with the propeller and the blades disintegrating on contact, as they're designed to do (they're really just lightweight painted wood). The show was stopped at that point, not sure how they re-started it from there.

EDIT: Here's the video of the incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYu6NBDzI3I

-Rob

Mickey92

Original Poster
The Jeep thing is *supposed* to be a bit of "sleight of hand" where the audience is meant to *think* that it's the same Jeep that's exploding, flipping and crashing with the stuntwoman inside it.
But as you've mentioned, it's really a fake truck that's attached to the wall, and the switch is done out of sight of the audience. And it's not built so that the wheels actually touch the groun when it's rolling. Because the action seuqence happens so fast and there's so much else going on, many first-time viewers may not notice it, and think that it's the same truck. But repeat viewers notice the switch, as you have.

As for the plane, I don't know exactly how it's powered (though it's either electric or a lightweight engine), but it's definitely independently powered and steered by the person inside. I've been to a show where they really had to work extra long to get it set into its proper position. First they overshot the mark, then they backed up a little too much, then they finally got it in place. The person on the ground then locks the one wheel into whatever system they have on the ground. The plane pwoers itself around in a circle, but by locking it into the ground mechanism it allows the trapdoor to open at the proper time in the show when it's "wildly" spinning around in a circle.

There's a video on YouTube showing an incident during the show where one of the stuntmen came in contact with the propeller and the blades disintegrating on contact, as they're designed to do (they're really just lightweight painted wood). The show was stopped at that point, not sure how they re-started it from there.

EDIT: Here's the video of the incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYu6NBDzI3I

-Rob

Thanks for the info I appreciate it! Very interesting!

Some great videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn4fsuuWcu8&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9EHivPyKfo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoVSjBeoe9Q

Mckicp1

I am almost positive it's steered by the actor. I've been to a performance where the right hand wing struck into the pipe of the fuel truck and halted the plane. They ended the show right then and we exited the theatre while they checked the plane out. This was like 5 or 6 years ago.

Oops, sorry to bump a 2 year old thread lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom