Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular plane

Meduini

Original Poster
I remember hearing several years back-within the last 10 years or so-that there was an on stage accident involving the plane propellers and two of the stunt performers during an afternoon performance, but I can’t find any information on said accident while Googling it.

graphite1326

I never heard about the plane propeller but I do remember the truck stunt going wrong and I believe someone was killed.

However, I would think that the propellers are not real and made from something that is soft and pliable in case an accident did occur.

Lilofan

I never heard about the plane propeller but I do remember the truck stunt going wrong and I believe someone was killed.

However, I would think that the propellers are not real and made from something that is soft and pliable in case an accident did occur.
There was a tumbling practice with the Indy performers one afternoon. One of the performers did a tumbling move and broke his neck and was killed instantly in front of his peers. The shows for the next day were cancelled.

Rinx

I do remember seeing a video a while back of a stunt performer getting hit by the propeller. Firstly, there are something like 6 propeller blades to each "engine" which gives the illusion that they are spinning way faster than they really are. When the propellers came in contact with the stuntman they instantly broke off/detached from the plane (most likely by design). By the way they fell they seem to be made of an extremely light material maybe even foam. The stuntman seemed absolutely fine but they obviously had to cut.

JIMINYCR

There were also some injuries that Disney received fines for when stunt performers were injured by a restraining cable that failed, a ladder that collapsed and a malfunction issue with a trap door. The equipment that stunt performers use in these shows are designed to appear dangerous but are safety checked to ensure our thrill and their ability to walk away unharmed. But even with lots of practiced routines down to the second, a misstep or slight diversion to the learned regimen can have consequences.

Meduini

Original Poster
I do remember seeing a video a while back of a stunt performer getting hit by the propeller. Firstly, there are something like 6 propeller blades to each "engine" which gives the illusion that they are spinning way faster than they really are. When the propellers came in contact with the stuntman they instantly broke off/detached from the plane (most likely by design). By the way they fell they seem to be made of an extremely light material maybe even foam. The stuntman seemed absolutely fine but they obviously had to cut.
This is what I remember!

There was an incident many years ago when the actor playing the part of Indy drops in from the ceiling at the opening of the show. The actor fell from the rope and broke his neck, and ultimately died from his injuries.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I do Always wonder why sometimes Indy just throws a torch onstage and jumps out of the set piece instead of falling.

I also wondered why the plane blade scene was cut as well. Those were two of the coolest parts.

VicariousCorpse

There was an incident many years ago when the actor playing the part of Indy drops in from the ceiling at the opening of the show. The actor fell from the rope and broke his neck, and ultimately died from his injuries.
I have heard about an incident in 2003 where Indy fell 30 feet or so but it wasn't the opening nor did he die, though I can't find any news articles about it. I also couldn't find anything about anyone dying at the show other the one during rehearsals discussed in this thread.

I have heard about an incident in 2003 where Indy fell 30 feet or so but it wasn't the opening nor did he die, though I can't find any news articles about it. I also couldn't find anything about anyone dying at the show other the one during rehearsals discussed in this thread.
It did happen. I remember at the time it was in the news and the internet. I too couldn't find any articles currently on the web to back it up when I posted.
I don't think at the time it happened there was a safety harness to prevent the actor from falling if the rope got pinched and jerked to a halt during the drop, but one was added as a result.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom