Indiana Jones Adventure refurbishment

D.Silentu

I've heard Baxter's explanation on why this didn't last very long. I'd have to find it again, but I think he said something about how they had to put a dye in the water to make it look like lava and it was clogging the intakes and the system couldn't generate the ice quick enough or something that that effect.
It definitely had a reddish look, though in person I thought it was the lighting. Your explanation seems very possible though.

mickEblu

I sometimes forget how much I used to love Indiana Jones. At one point it was probably right behind Splash Mountain. It’s fallen way down my list.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I just wish they did a better job of hiding the track and less open spaces with walls for the launches. Its a great experience and much better than Dueling Dragons and Velocicoaster, but I'd love to see Disney's version of the same experience.
Disney's version of a 'story coaster' is Guardians. Make what you will of it.

Rich T

…I'd love to see Disney's version of the same experience.
They’re about to give us a much shorter version with no animatronics that mostly takes place in a dark warehouse full of projections. :D But, seriously, I’d love to see the Imagineers get free reign—with proper funding and no cutbacks—to tackle a coaster like this.

But I do agree Hagrid’s’ tracks and supports could be hidden better—and I think Nature is going to do wonders in improving this aspect over the next few years. I’m very forgiving on that point for now, I think, because off-ride, the coaster is great fun to watch, and on-ride the graceful twists of the layout so convincingly sell the idea that it’s a flying motorcycle that my disbelief is properly suspended.

SuddenStorm

This video on Youtube shows the long lost ice effect, though I think the bits of Indy dialogue that no longer are used in the 'rotation' are far more interesting. The ride's potential is far more than what's currently there- they don't randomize the vehicle's movements, they don't use all the available dialogue, most effects are busted. The preshow is significantly shortened with all of the 'Eye on the Globe' stuff removed.

CaptinEO

This video on Youtube shows the long lost ice effect, though I think the bits of Indy dialogue that no longer are used in the 'rotation' are far more interesting. The ride's potential is far more than what's currently there- they don't randomize the vehicle's movements, they don't use all the available dialogue, most effects are busted. The preshow is significantly shortened with all of the 'Eye on the Globe' stuff removed.

I think the vehicles still have unique movement profiles.

So cool to see the lava effect in good quality, that's amazing! I wish they could bring that back as well as the rotating doors and the smoke that would come out of the mara statue when it was angry.

Phroobar

My sister in law's father's construction company built the show buildings for Indy. He said it was like nothing they ever did before because they were used to steel frame warehouses. They had a lot of fun throwing cement on the walls in the cave system. He confirmed the diamond floor button would lower the floor and ceiling in that section.

SSG

Remember when they tried an Indy stunt show type thing in Adventureland like 15 years ago? They had Indy running around the treehouse and some pretty girl flailing about on a balcony and bad guys chasing them. There were also bullwhips.

Except this was all being done in Adventureland. At Disneyland. Where it's shoulder-to-shoulder and you can't see or hear a thing because you are crammed into a sea of deafening humanity. So the blaring audio track used for the show just sounded like...
"BLAH-BLURGH-BLAH-INDY-BLAH-BLAH-BLARP-JEWELS-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-JUMP!!!!

And the "show" itself looked like this to the audience...

disneyland_crowded1-1024x738.jpg

There's something so charmingly stupid about most theme park entertainment. Especially when it is produced by people who apparently have never actually been inside their own theme park on a Saturday afternoon.

I hope Disneyland Entertainment group does something like that again for this next Indy movie.

They could just call it BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-INDY!
Indy Stuntshow/Treehouse confirmed :p

Seriously though, on my visit last week Indy was by far the most disappointing attraction. The doors, the snake, the bridge, the boulder--even the projected 'rats scurrying' effect was out and half of the blow gun air effects were missing. I love that attraction but we only rode it once over the 5 days.

Sailor310

My sister in law's father's construction company built the show buildings for Indy. He said it was like nothing they ever did before because they were used to steel frame warehouses. They had a lot of fun throwing cement on the walls in the cave system. He confirmed the diamond floor button would lower the floor and ceiling in that section.
For a long time, you could move the bamboo pole and the spikes would come out of the ceiling a few inches.

Professortango1

Thank you for confirming that I'm not crazy! I remembered that, but it hasn't worked in so long I figured that I must have remembered it wrong.
I still am not convinced. I rode that ride 4 times opening day and then throughout the summer and I can never recall a gag in the diamond floor corridor. Spike room 100%. The rope. Yep. But I remember always wishing the diamonds did something and them never doing so.

_caleb

I still am not convinced. I rode that ride 4 times opening day and then throughout the summer and I can never recall a gag in the diamond floor corridor. Spike room 100%. The rope. Yep. But I remember always wishing the diamonds did something and them never doing so.
I agree- I don't think the diamond floor stones ever depressed. Makes sense, as it could be a tripping hazard. I do vaguely remember a clunking, grinding sound effect here, though... maybe?

SuddenStorm

I'm fairly certain in an interview Tony mentioned the diamond floor being something that was planned for, but removed due to budget constraints- so they put wood wedges in the ceiling to give the illusion that the ceiling could depress. I can't remember the exact words but I think it basically confirmed the diamonds never worked.

Didn't the steering wheel on the vehicles used to turn?

_caleb

Didn't the steering wheel on the vehicles used to turn?
My brother and I have a running disagreement about whether the steering wheel on the Indy vehicles ever turned! I don’t think it did, but my brother insists he’s ”steered” before.

We’ve scrutinized this video from the pre-show, and we still disagree. Despite the actor’s hand movements on the wheel, I say that that the spoke at the top of the wheel stays at 11:00.

Professortango1

My brother and I have a running disagreement about whether the steering wheel on the Indy vehicles ever turned! I don’t think it did, but my brother insists he’s ”steered” before.

We’ve scrutinized this video from the pre-show, and we still disagree. Despite the actor’s hand movements on the wheel, I say that that the spoke at the top of the wheel stays at 11:00.

It never turned. Even in the video the guy is just sliding his hands around the wheel to simulate turning. When I was a kid, I'd get the driver's seat and do the same thing for fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom