Independence Day Earthquake - 6.4 in Mojave Desert

TP2000

Original Poster
We just had a nice little shaker here in OC about 20 minutes ago. It lasted about ten seconds, rattling the glassware and shaking the house a bit, minor but quite noticeable. Also one of those where you can tell it's not close to you, but rolled in from far away and was thus much larger somewhere else.

Sure enough, CalTech is reporting a moderate 6.4 earthquake hit the Mojave Desert at 10:33 this morning. I hope everyone is safe up there in Mojave!

I wonder what the impact to Disneyland will be? Obviously no damage, but they might have closed some rides as a precaution?

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
So.... according to the App almost all the rides are shut down as "Temporarily Closed" at both parks.

I get it, but what a mess that is for such a minor earthquake in OC. :oops:

LA Times is now reporting it's the largest quake to hit SoCal since the 6.6 Northridge quake in '94, but this one hit out in the middle of the desert so injuries and loss of life will be less than Northridge.

TP2000

Original Poster
Well, that was quick. Some rides are already reopening, like Millennium Falcon.

But a lot of rides are still closed; Space Mt., Indy, Submarines, Matterhorn, Star Tours, Little Mermaid, Incredicoaster, Thunder Mt., Splash Mt., etc.

Darkbeer1

Was doing some work in my upstairs office, so sitting down.

Rolling Quake, I spoke up so my wife, Lisa could hear it.

But thank goodness it was rolling. Nothing fell off shelves, etc.

But yes, Theme Parks rides in California are required to shut down, unload, and then go through a test cycle before reopening. The Computerized ride system should have forced an e-stop when the earthquake hit.

Darkbeer1

Colussus and many other Coasters at SFMM are back operating after the safety check.

And while Coastal SoCal is OK after the quake, those near the Epicenter in Ridgecrest and China Lake have reported problems. Hope everyone is OK. (Stuff can always be repaired/replaced).

D.Silentu

Surprisingly overcast morning, minor tremor, today I suspected the worst...

Figments Friend

The earthquake was probably the most movement guests experienced on Smuggler's Run.

🤣🤣
This comment had me laughing loudly this morning!

On a more serious note, quakes can be scary so I'm glad there wasn't too much of a impact.
Just saw some footage on the news now...lots of jiggling items on shelves.

Went through a brief, small quake once.
Surreal experience.
I can only imagine what it feels like to experience a major one.

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom