Independence Air Ceases Operations

Iakona

http://www.flyi.com/company/default.aspx or

Independence Air to Discontinue Flights

By Associated Press

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(getElapsed("20060102T163025Z"));</SCRIPT>29 minutes ago<NOSCRIPT>UPDATED 3 MINUTES AGO</NOSCRIPT>
WASHINGTON - Less than 19 months after Independence Air took to the skies, the low-cost carrier has announced that it will cancel all flights scheduled to depart after 7 p.m. this Thursday.
"We are voluntarily discontinuing scheduled service," Kerry Skeen, Independence Air's chairman and chief executive officer, said in a written statement issued Monday.
The financially troubled airline filed for bankruptcy protection in November. Parent company FLYi, Inc., had been trying to find a major investor or buyer.
"There has not been a firm offer put forward that meets the financial criteria necessary to continue operations," Skeen said.
The airline was formerly known as Atlantic Coast Airlines, a regional carrier for United Express, when management decided to form a discount carrier. Following a year of planning, flights began on June 16, 2004, with great fanfare at its hub at Washington Dulles International Airport, about 30 miles west of Washington. A water cannon salute greeted the first outbound plane on what was then a schedule of 39 departures. The first flight to Atlanta was full.
Since then, Independence expanded, but in recent months was forced to drop several markets. Its 2,700 employees currently operate 200 daily flights to 37 destinations.
Airline officials are trying to contact customers with roundtrip reservations who are slated to return after Thursday night in an effort to arrange their return travel earlier.
The company is trying to get bankruptcy court approval for the automatic refund of fares for return flights that are not rescheduled, as well as flights booked for after Friday and beyond. There will be no refunds for vouchers or free tickets.
The airline competed against discount carriers jetBlue, AirTran and Ted from its Dulles hub. It also faced major competition from Southwest Airlines which flies out of Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Thank you for this news. I am happy that I do not have anyone booked with them. I know that many airlines are on shaky ground and have not been able to fully recover after 9/11.

Pam

Upvote 0

Iakona

Original Poster
Kingdom Konsultant said:
Thank you for this news. I am happy that I do not have anyone booked with them. I know that many airlines are on shaky ground and have not been able to fully recover after 9/11.

Pam

yeah, I was sweating out Delta's pilots until they reached a temporary agreement.
Sad thing is this airline only started 18 months ago.

Almost in single digits! 11 days til WDW.

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

I was kinda sad to hear about this...we flew Independence on our honeymoon and it seemed to run smoothly. We got a good deal on the flights too. Oh well...guess I'll look into jetBlue for our next trip...

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

I feel like I've lost a friend. I travel for a living and someone else books my trips. Whenever I get an itinerary the first thing I'd check was to see if they got me on Independence - by FAR my favorite airline. Everyone there was always nice, helpful, casual, and friendly. Plus, they would go over and above to make me smile - even after a long hard day at work. Let me just share one example...

One evening, when I was flying out of Dulles, I had boarded the plane and was absently staring out the window at the ground crew, when this woman came "dancing" down the side of the plane. She had on a black turtleneck and slacks, a black top hat, gloves and a boa. She twirled and danced in front of each window, down and back. She came by again, with a sign that said, "Your luggage has been loaded". She came by once more with another sign: "Have a nice flight!". Then, she took off her boa, gloves, and hat, put on an orange vest, and proceeded to back the plane out of the gate. I smiled the whole way home.

In case you never had the opportunity to FlyI, I just want you to know that this was not any old run of the mill airline we've lost. It was really great.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom