Increased daily rates

mwlillie

Original Poster
Please note that this is not a bashing post, just a consideration for future vacation planning/budgeting.

Once the Skyline/Gondola project is in operation, is it expected that Disney will raise daily rates at the resorts supported by this transportation mode? And if so what percentage do you expect? I'm expecting 25 to 30 percent.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Its all about the return on investment (ROI). Have to show value to the shareholders to keep the wolves at bay... remember that Disney successfully scared off Comcast from buying them.

ToTBellHop

Yes.

Significantly. Your range is reasonable. 50% by year 2 if people will pay it. I believe CBR was originally classed the same as the deluxes, anyway. The concept of a moderate came later. I'm more curious to see what people will pay for Pop and the Mermaid rooms at Animation.

Mander

In the Parks
No
Yes.

Significantly. Your range is reasonable. 50% by year 2 if people will pay it. I believe CBR was originally classed the same as the deluxes, anyway. The concept of a moderate came later. I'm more curious to see what people will pay for Pop and the Mermaid rooms at Animation.

It should be interesting to see.

We're staying at Pop in January and I feel the price is really reasonable. We're looking to make a trip during Food & Wine and are thinking AS Music because I can't justify almost $200/night for Pop. It's not that great. Even with gondolas, I can't see paying that much to stay there. It will for sure send me back to the All Stars- though I think they're supposed to be refurbed soon and I'm sure those prices will go up too.

correcaminos

Yes.

It wasn't called a deluxe when we booked it. It was always a 'moderate' and I remember the first summer we stayed there after it opened it was only $99/night. I remember how happy I was that they had a lower level room to offer :)

I'm not sure a 20% increase will be seen in a short time IMO. They'll find other little ways to pay for it. Add to the dining here, the park tickets there, a little on the room, a small reduction in staff and there you have it. Paid for.

jimbojones

It wasn't called a deluxe when we booked it. It was always a 'moderate' and I remember the first summer we stayed there after it opened it was only $99/night. I remember how happy I was that they had a lower level room to offer :)

I'm not sure a 20% increase will be seen in a short time IMO. They'll find other little ways to pay for it. Add to the dining here, the park tickets there, a little on the room, a small reduction in staff and there you have it. Paid for.
As others have said its more about extracting value than paying for it. If they can use the gondolas to justify price increases or a reclassification of the resort they will do it to increase profits. The nickle and diming and profit above all else attitude over the past decade is one of the biggest WDW turnoffs for me. I had a planned visit last year but two weeks before we were going to leave I looked at the bill and said to myself, "it is crazy to spend this kind of money for a 5 day trip, we can go to Paris for the same money". What was a $1500 week long vacation in the early 2000s is now a $4-5000 5 day vacation . Thank goodness for reward points though, my next trip is half paid for already!

John park hopper

As others have said its more about extracting value than paying for it. If they can use the gondolas to justify price increases or a reclassification of the resort they will do it to increase profits. The nickle and diming and profit above all else attitude over the past decade is one of the biggest WDW turnoffs for me. I had a planned visit last year but two weeks before we were going to leave I looked at the bill and said to myself, "it is crazy to spend this kind of money for a 5 day trip, we can go to Paris for the same money". What was a $1500 week long vacation in the early 2000s is now a $4-5000 5 day vacation . Thank goodness for reward points though, my next trip is half paid for already!

Agree, the trip for just my wife and I this year cost way more than our trip for a family of 4 in 1999 for the same length of stay. I have posted this before I wonder at what point the nickel and diming and resort rate increases will have an adverse effect on attendance.

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

I am actually really worried about this. We love Pop. After a bad experience at Sports, we will never stay at an All Star again. And AoA is more of a moderate in terms of pricing. So if Pop prices go up, I fear we may finally be priced out of staying on property :(

jimbojones

Agree, the trip for just my wife and I this year cost way more than our trip for a family of 4 in 1999 for the same length of stay. I have posted this before I wonder at what point the nickel and diming and resort rate increases will have an adverse effect on attendance.
I am but one person but its getting close for me. I am debating tenting in FW this august to stay in the MK area but not spend a mint. Usually I am a Deluxe resort kinda WDW visitor but its harder and harder to justify. Though given current crowd levels, it might be as good financially to have fewer visitors paying more but with a less crowded park from the perspective of Disney.

Mander

In the Parks
No
I am actually really worried about this. We love Pop. After a bad experience at Sports, we will never stay at an All Star again. And AoA is more of a moderate in terms of pricing. So if Pop prices go up, I fear we may finally be priced out of staying on property :(

If this helps, I've stayed at AS Movies and had a really nice experience. Good staff, clean room, and never had an issue with the bus system.

I agree though- I really hope Pop stays affordable!

deeevo

Yes.

Me as well.... they are very, very close to pricing out a whole lot of people by making a $50 to $100 a night increase because of the Skyline.
Hotels on BV Blvd are just waiting for Disney to make that mistake.

John park hopper

I prefer staying on WDW property (ease of getting to the park and extra hours) but like some have posted off site (due to cost) is the next option for us as well. Since my kids have grown we really don't utilize the resort (pool. dining, bar etc) we spend most of our time in the parks, eat in the parks and just sleep at the resort. I wish WDW would offer on site a truely no frills. no themes, no pool, I'd even go for no daily housekeeping, just a clean place to sleep and shower. I would think a charge of $69-$89/night would be resonable. I wonder if there would be a demand for something along those lines. What do others think ?

Cmdr_Crimson

In a way I'm sad that it will eventually happen as Pop was the "Other" Value hotel and I really enjoy staying here...But, down the road when they are finished with the room modifications and sprucing up the skyliner to completion I have a strong feeling Pop will become a "Val-Mod" Hotel just because guests want to take the advantage of utilizing the skyline as their own Monorail-esque service..Which is why whenever they show commercials for a family of four staying on property it's always leaning them toward staying at All-Stars....And not many like to stay at All-Stars like myself...Unless their are plans to also do room modifcations to those hotels after Pop is completed I'm sure they might see a spike in price to those ones as well...

JIMINYCR

Me as well.... they are very, very close to pricing out a whole lot of people by making a $50 to $100 a night increase because of the Skyline.
Hotels on BV Blvd are just waiting for Disney to make that mistake.

Agree that people will find it more difficult financing a Disney trip and other hotel sites will take advantage if it....they may even hike their prices some too. But people usually find a way of saving for things they want irregardless of the cost or debt they are willing to take on. With the new additions to the parks, guests will find a way to justify the cost because they will want to experience the newest thrills. It will be adding on debt or sacrificing other luxuries, but they will find a way if it matters to them.

jimbojones

I prefer staying on WDW property (ease of getting to the park and extra hours) but like some have posted off site (due to cost) is the next option for us as well. Since my kids have grown we really don't utilize the resort (pool. dining, bar etc) we spend most of our time in the parks, eat in the parks and just sleep at the resort. I wish WDW would offer on site a truely no frills. no themes, no pool, I'd even go for no daily housekeeping, just a clean place to sleep and shower. I would think a charge of $69-$89/night would be resonable. I wonder if there would be a demand for something along those lines. What do others think ?
I think that was the original idea behind the value resorts. Up until fairly recently they were under $100 per night, and sometimes they still are when there are special deals. $150 + a night is madness for a hotel of the caliber of the value resorts IMO.

They'll keep raising the prices and people will keep paying while some of us will start to go elsewhere. But as long as they are making money the sky is the limit. I'll bet the immersive SW hotel under development will be at least $600 a night and wouldn't be surprised if it hits $1000 a night for the basic rooms.

Occasional Guest

I noted that our trip in October was the first in 3 years and it was busier than I remember it being on any of my past 8 visits. As others have pointed out, the parks do seem to be busier. If this is true and not just perceived, than I would fully expect prices to continue to rise until attendance levels off or declines slightly. This is the basic "supply and demand" situation. With the price increases, we have been effectively priced out of the market as will many others. That's not the concern of a corporation. Their concern is maximizing returns for investors. I hold no ill will toward Disney for this. I enjoyed every minute of the 9 visits we have made but I do not foresee returning any time in the near future. It is what it is.

BrerWayne

Wow. I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling this way. I made my last visit in August and stayed at Coronado Springs. We had a great time but the heat is a beast. I was toying around with a return in the Spring, but got sticker shock from room rates. Coronado only had suites available , POR was $275/night-for a moderate. And the Poly was >$800/night. I really can’t justify that kind of money. For my family it will mean very infrequent trips unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom