Incident at Epcot today(March 6th)

SoupBone

I don't buy into this being an issue, but I will say by Disney's own design, they get people drunk at their Food & Wine luncheons.

You have a four course tasting with four drinks - be they tequila, wine, etc. Plus there's usually a welcome drink. So that's 5 drinks over the course of a maybe 90 minute lunch? I know I'm pretty well buzzed after those. (not complaining - got my money's worth.)

I should put a disclaimer into my posts that they're anecdotal, but we've been to Disney 16 times since 2007, when we first noticed the large groups. I wonder if Disney keeps track of drunk incidents. 😆

Tony the Tigger

must have better bartenders than I've encountered. I've never had Disney splurge on the alcohol content.;)

I should note, despite having been a bartender (and having gained some weight) I'm an eternal lightweight when it comes to drinking.

But objectively, 5 drinks of anything over a lunch is going to do something to people.

I should put a disclaimer into my posts that they're anecdotal, but we've been to Disney 16 times since 2007, when we first noticed the large groups. I wonder if Disney keeps track of drunk incidents. 😆

We've been many, many times since the late 90's. I have yet to notice anything. Then again, when you're drinking yourself...LOL.

janoimagine

You do realize that drinking on property is something that started when the property opened? Thats right, Walt Disney World was full of lounges since the beginning, along with booze cruises on 7 Seas Lagoon, and Vegas nightclub shows at the Top of the World
True, but I also think back then people were more eloquent and civilized about how they handled it. Just look back at how people dressed at Disney during those early years. They had class.

Unfortunately people now have the mentality that its acceptable to behave this way in public ... to dress like trash, to over indulge and to generally feel that they can do and say whatever they want in public (and that may or may not be related to how much they are paying to be on property). Its straight up perceived entitlement, and its sickening and I see no end in sight as long as most of society is willing to accept it as the norm. I travel a lot all over the world for my job and some of the worst people I have ever encountered bar none have been on Disney property.

I will say this ... when Disney is notified of it by a guest, they do handle it relatively well, and do go out of their way to make it right for the guests that were affected by said idiots.

Tony the Tigger

I will say this ... when Disney is notified of it by a guest, they do handle it relatively well, and do go out of their way to make it right for the guests that were affected by said idiots.

Only barely related:

While standing in line at BJ's to open an account, one of us (not I) got puked on by a little kid, who was presumably not drunk.

We did get two free annual memberships to BJ's, without saying a word. 🤪

KBLovedDisney

In all honesty, it really pertains to the fact that people can get away with a heck of a lot more today than they did back then.

(Wouldn't be surprised if some CMs have to down a few shots before they deal with stupid guests...:cautious:)

But I will say that CMs are (or should be) trained to handle difficult situations, but in our current society, something can be turned around on a CM a lot quicker and somewhat easier than the actual person in the defying situation (or the cause of) taking the blame real quick like.

In other words, the CM is more liable to get "attacked" in a guests quarrel instead of either guests putting on big kid shorts and saying it was their own darn fault.

🎶Walking on, walking on, walking on broken...eggshells...🎶

Last edited:

ppete1975

I think Disney could have their roaming security (not cast members) police this better and even ask people to leave, especially if its a big group.
I also think they could do a punch card with your info on it or attached to your magic band where you can only have so many drinks in a certain amount of time.

jaklgreen

I think Disney needs to be more proactive in removing these types of people from their property. We have all heard, or seen someone be a jerk to cast members over nothing and start yelling and cursing. And all Disney does is give them free stuff to appease them. There needs to be more accountability for your poor behavior, not rewards.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Can this thread be locked already it’s pointlesss :(
No this is pointless

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It is absolutely laughable that this event the OP reported is being used by some people as a reason to assert that Epcot should implement some form of alcohol rules and regulations. It's absolutely a joke.

To my knowledge (and I've asked several of these people), there has been no evidence presented that this fight was due to over consumption of alcohol, but it matters not to certain people. All they need to hear is that an incident occurred, and it is enough for them to demand regulation on an issue that is non existent, or as random as any other situation that could occur in Magic Kingdom. Claims of "the Epcot experience is ruined" are ridiculous. We visit multiple times per year and spend a majority of our days at Epcot (even weekends) and have never experienced anything more than people having a good time that occasionally get loud.

We have seen much more vomiting at MK and witnessed full grown men and women behaving poorly for the most minor of reasons. It's not the 18 year old CM's fault that Peter Pan has a 90 minute wait and it's your last day, but go ahead and be rude and curse at them, because apparently that is acceptable, but let the same person see a crowd in Rose and Crown break into a Manchester United song and their day is ruined.

Wesker

Wow. I’m a bit shocked at these replies.
It’s not unreasonable to be disappointed at crowd control when a fight breaks out at EPCOT.
There shouldn’t be fisticuffs to begin with.
It’s a sad affair,and even worse that so many folks seem to think that’s “the way it goes”
Poster just didn’t like his child being pressed into a crowd to get around the WWF event...

UncleMike101

Sorry Uncle Mike, but this is an excuse. People have been attending EPCOT for years and years without incident. In the last several years, since drinking around the world has become a thing, there are now large groups of drunk **** walking around the parks causing problems. Every single time we've been to the World Showcase since around 2007 or so, we've seen drunk, stumbling groups causing issues.

I'm not suggesting that Disney get rid of alcohol because I love having drinks myself around there, especially during Food and Wine, but they need to do something and fast.
Actually I wasn't referring exclusively to the incident in question here.
My statement was meant as a broad observation based on decades of being involved with people in nearly every circumstance possible.
No matter where one is there will always be individuals or groups of people who, for whatever reason, be it alcohol, mental illness, illicit drugs, prescription medication or any number of other factors, are not able to control their emotions and/or actions.
In that respect WDW is no different from any large city and it's best to treat it as you would a large city and watch out for the "problem" people.

Bpmorley

Or here in Philly the big thing is road construction. You see one guy actually doing the work, 4 guys watching him do the work and traffic backed up for miles. lol I love the flaggers who hold the sign but never get traffic moving.

Getting crowds to move where you want them to, IS not as easy as some folks think it is.
It's not 1 guys working. They take 5 minute turns.
Flagging traffic isn't easy. People aren't paying attention to the flagger. They want to see the accident/fight/whatever.
Any accident we have on 95, we block at least 2 lanes with the engine and ladder. That sometimes only leaves 1 lane or a shoulder open for 3 lanes of traffic trying to get over. Then you always get a guy that stops next to you and wants to talk with 500 cars waiting behind him.

eliza61nyc

It's not 1 guys working. They take 5 minute turns.
Flagging traffic isn't easy. People aren't paying attention to the flagger. They want to see the accident/fight/whatever.
Any accident we have on 95, we block at least 2 lanes with the engine and ladder. That sometimes only leaves 1 lane or a shoulder open for 3 lanes of traffic trying to get over. Then you always get a guy that stops next to you and wants to talk with 500 cars waiting behind him.

Thanks Bp, always wanted to know why. the highlighted is what op doesn't get. It's really hard to move crowds. lol everyone wants to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom