Incident at Epcot today(March 6th)

DavidS1234

I was embarrassed to take my first time visit friends a few weeks ago. But they just HAD to go to Epcot....they were rightfully not impressed.

It's actually pretty nice when it's not crowded and you can actually see everything without 6 of your 8 hours spent in line. When it's so packed that there's a line out the front of the pyramid to see some animated ducks jumping around Mexico..... well.... there's not much else to do but drink.

Janir

Given that this was an unplanned incident, unlike parade/fireworks times, I don't see how the CM's could have improved. Whatever disturbance the crowd obviously needed to have direction. Now you may have heard umpteen billion times to move to the right, but others may have not. As far as the wheelchair and other stroller, how is that Disney's fault? Those people are the ones responsible for how close they get, and the fact that you were given more space after being vocal shows that.
And with the amount of people already in the area, getting extra CMs to the area that weren't already in the general vicinity to do crowd control would have been hard as well.
What CM's need to do is yell keep right and keep moving, and please tell people to repeat that down the line.

They could sing it... (to the tune of It's a Small World...)

"Keep to the right and move along!"
"There's nothing to see around here!"

Ok I'll keep my day job... ;)

Patcheslee

Maybe they should limited the number of alcoholic drinks people have. Whether they like it or not, there should be a tracking system due to the fact people cant control themselves when they drink. I'm not sure that was reason for fight but ...you never know
Wouldn't do as much good as you think because BAC is different for everyone. Half a drink and I am technically over the legal limit. I've been to plenty concerts that had drink limits, people simply had a friend that didn't drink purchase more instead.

Sonconato

And with the amount of people already in the area, getting extra CMs to the area that weren't already in the general vicinity to do crowd control would have been hard as well.
What CM's need to do is yell keep right and keep moving, and please tell people to repeat that down the line.

They could sing it... (to the tune of It's a Small World...)

"There's nothing to see around here!"

Ok I'll keep my day job... ;)
At Peter Pan, there is a woman about my age named Doris that kind of did that. Once we get to the front of the line where we are told to stand side by side, she chants

"Keep moving, side by side."
"Keep moving, side by side."
"Keep moving, side by side..."

We love it when she's working there. So much fun.

SoupBone

WDW is no different from any other large city and the people are not one bit smarter............
There will always be a contingent of people who can't control their actions, or emotions, for whatever reason.

Sorry Uncle Mike, but this is an excuse. People have been attending EPCOT for years and years without incident. In the last several years, since drinking around the world has become a thing, there are now large groups of drunk walking around the parks causing problems. Every single time we've been to the World Showcase since around 2007 or so, we've seen drunk, stumbling groups causing issues.

I'm not suggesting that Disney get rid of alcohol because I love having drinks myself around there, especially during Food and Wine, but they need to do something and fast.

SoupBone

Whether alcohol exists or not in Disney, it does not give people excuses to act poorly. I've seen completely sober people act poorly in Disney (and out) unfortunately. It doesn't always take alcohol consumption for people to act stupid.

True but alcohol is also liquid courage and people get more belligerent and brave. So it gives people that might actually be able to keep themselves in check normally a path toward trashy behavior.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sorry Uncle Mike, but this is an excuse. People have been attending EPCOT for years and years without incident. In the last several years, since drinking around the world has become a thing, there are now large groups of drunk **** walking around the parks causing problems. Every single time we've been to the World Showcase since around 2007 or so, we've seen drunk, stumbling groups causing issues.

I'm not suggesting that Disney get rid of alcohol because I love having drinks myself around there, especially during Food and Wine, but they need to do something and fast.
So since alcohol has been available in EPCOT from the opening day, what do you think is the reason for the stupidness of late? I know that drinking around the world is a thing now, but why wasn't it a thing 20 or 30 years ago? I've been going to EPCOT since opening day, and it really wasn't a thing to get drunk there. It's also very expensive to get drunk there.

I will say that I guess we've been lucky in that we haven't seen the behavior that has been talked about here in these forums. Of course, we normally avoid Friday and Saturday nights at EPCOT, and spend those in a different park.

Oh, and I don't want it removed either, as we enjoy an adult beverage when we are there as well. We're just responsible enough to not drink too much and get stupid drunk.

Shells15

Don't know how it is in other parts of the country but here in SC whenever there is a car accident traffic backs up for miles. It never fails cops every where at the scene and not a single one directing traffic around the accident. So this does not surprise me at WDW

I agree. Here in Arizona, it is the same way. The bottleneck occurs for miles leading up to an incident on the road (freeways and highways in particular), more often than not full of "looky-loos". As soon as we pass the incident, traffic flows freely. In these cases, we may get a few cops (if we are extremely lucky - more often than not it's the bare minimum, if we're lucky) directing traffic to go around the accident, breakdown, etc. The worst of these incidents occur on roads with little to no possibility of another route, and when one does come about, it's bogged down. I'm not surprised that this would happen at WDW or any place with a mass amount of human beings. It is human nature to be curious, slowing down and trying to see what one can in an incident while complaining about the traffic conditions ahead of us. Yes, there are rare exceptions to this rule, of course, but in general this is what happens when something happens in the midst of a large (relatively speaking) crowd. If the trained cops on the road have trouble moving people along to get passed an incident on the road, why would the untrained CMs have any better luck in this area?

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

True but alcohol is also liquid courage and people get more belligerent and brave. So it gives people that might actually be able to keep themselves in check normally a path toward trashy behavior.
This is also true, but to only a few people. Not all people that consume alcohol become King of the World so to speak. Me personally, I become Queen of Nap time.

SoupBone

So since alcohol has been available in EPCOT from the opening day, what do you think is the reason for the stupidness of late? I know that drinking around the world is a thing now, but why wasn't it a thing 20 or 30 years ago? I've been going to EPCOT since opening day, and it really wasn't a thing to get drunk there. It's also very expensive to get drunk there.

I will say that I guess we've been lucky in that we haven't seen the behavior that has been talked about here in these forums. Of course, we normally avoid Friday and Saturday nights at EPCOT, and spend those in a different park.

Oh, and I don't want it removed either, as we enjoy an adult beverage when we are there as well. We're just responsible enough to not drink too much and get stupid drunk.

The change happened around 2005 or so when gathering in large groups and drinking around the world became a contest. We started seeing shirts, and paper check lists with how many drinks, the exact drink name, etc. for EPCOT.

There are social groups now specifically devoted to drinking around EPCOT that have become basically a large, roving, mobile barroom. And yes, some are absolutely ok, can handle their alcohol without causing a scene, but then there's always a few trashy idiots that ruin it for everyone else.

ppet

Unfortunately I think societal changes have resulted in more aggression in any areas where many people interact. Look at the increase in road rage incidents. Too many people believe that it's all about them and to HEdouble toothpicks to anyone else.

Tony the Tigger

There are social groups now specifically devoted to drinking around EPCOT that have become basically a large, roving, mobile barroom. And yes, some are absolutely ok, can handle their alcohol without causing a scene, but then there's always a few trashy idiots that ruin it for everyone else.

I don't buy into this being an issue, but I will say by Disney's own design, they get people drunk at their Food & Wine luncheons.

You have a four course tasting with four drinks - be they tequila, wine, etc. Plus there's usually a welcome drink. So that's 5 drinks over the course of a maybe 90 minute lunch? I know I'm pretty well buzzed after those. (not complaining - got my money's worth.)

ppet

I don't buy into this being an issue, but I will say by Disney's own design, they get people drunk at their Food & Wine luncheons.

You have a four course tasting with four drinks - be they tequila, wine, etc. Plus there's usually a welcome drink. So that's 5 drinks over the course of a maybe 90 minute lunch? I know I'm pretty well buzzed after those. (not complaining - got my money's worth.)
must have better bartenders than I've encountered. I've never had Disney splurge on the alcohol content.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom