Incident at Epcot today(March 6th)

draybook

Original Poster
Let's assume 100 people were around the incident and immediately formed when it occurred - and 100 or more came from your side and 100 or more were coming from the other side and all jammed up - and you couldn't move into this mess - how was Disney supposed to get into the mess and get it cleared more so than than they already did?

They have 20 security officers and 5-15 law enforcement agents at every checkpoint probing every inch of our diaper bag and you wonder how they could be any faster at clearing two idiots fighting on a walkway?

Drag idiots away, direct traffic as stated in previous posts. Pretty cut and dry.

LuvWDW2

Well, there were a mass of us walking that way and you couldn't tell it was at a standstill until you got to it. You see, contrary to popular belief, I am not Shaquille O'Neal. Therefore, I was unable to see 300 yards away from the China pavilion to the spot where this was happening. Also, funnels tend to happen at Epcot so it seemed semi normal, given how much walkway space is taken up by drunky bars for these festivals. And with the lack of communication and leadership from Disney, nobody knew what was going on until after the fact.

Anything else you need cleared up?

Sure, how long did it take to get out of the area? 3 minutes? 3 hours?

I’m just not seeing the issue. Funnels happen (your words). Crowds form at festivals. What exactly did you want them to do when a fight suddenly broke out?

draybook

Original Poster
Sure, how long did it take to get out of the area? 3 minutes? 3 hours?

I’m just not seeing the issue. Funnels happen (your words). Crowds form at festivals. What exactly did you want them to do when a fight suddenly broke out?

It took 15 minutes from the time we arrived until we had made it beyond that point. That's 15 minutes of people smooshing each other. That's 15 minutes of strollers being run into and walked into. That's not the fault of guests, it falls on leadership. Again, having one CM every 15-20 feet repeating the same line isn't crowd control.

Maybe you guys are cool with it but I'm not. When I'm having my son squished due to poor management, I'm very vocal and very defensive. It doesn't take at least 15 minutes to subdue two combatants and clear a walkway, it really doesn't. Then again, this is the same management that thought that 2 open turnstiles on the opening day of a festival was sufficient.

Patcheslee

Sooo, you couldn't see a crowd forming due to height, but you are tall enough to say there was NOT leadership helping. Also if there was a fight there is a chance of BODILY FLUIDS, which someone has to clean up if it is there, which is a delay from just gather them up and kick em out.
And how would telling ppl with EVC, strollers ect to move further right than ppl without have helped? Then you would have had people that needed to go further right blocked by those that didn't need to go as far, which would have caused more disruption.

There are a lot of things to be upset with at the parks these days, but honestly you’re upset a crowd got formed because two idiots got into a fight? Do you know was the fight still happening when you walked up? If it had just happened did you expect leadership to magically get through the crowd you yourself were struggling through?

This honestly could have happened anywhere outside of Disney and had the same result. It part of going out in public. People do stupid things.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm not defending Disney at all, I've worked security and with a large crowd it's hard to get people moving especially with everyone trying to "see" what's going on and you definitely don't want people to panic and start running. Now I don't know how many managers and security standing around, how do you know??

Next, I do not leave my personal security to others. You said you "got to Norway and Mexico and could go no further, that implied at least to me, that you walked up to that point and could not go any more. were you instantly surrounded by people.??? I'm thinking you were trying to check out what was going on just like everyone else, (which is why it's hard to do crowd control).

basically you're complaining about the very actions you were doing. The cm's were probably simply trying to "clear" the area and get people moving again.
Another make believe job. We may have a female Fordexploder on our hands here.

draybook

Original Poster
There are a lot of things to be upset with at the parks these days, but honestly you’re upset a crowd got formed because two idiots got into a fight? Do you know was the fight still happening when you walked up? If it had just happened did you expect leadership to magically get through the crowd you yourself were struggling through?

This honestly could have happened anywhere outside of Disney and had the same result. It part of going out in public. People do stupid things.

I know reading isn't for everyone but I clearly mentioned security and law enforcement. That's who should have handled the fighting fools. Poor crowd control rests solely on leadership.

For a comparison of proper crowd control; the other night, the line for the ferry boat was literally to the turnstiles. With proper crowd control and leadership presence, we were on board a ferry and heading across the lagoon within 10 minutes.

I would say that one is expected while the other is not but that wouldn't be correct. You can't expect to serve unlimited alcohol to people and think that every single one of them is going to behave properly. It's not like this is the first incident, much less at Epcot. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the need for a sign saying not to climb Aztec pyramids.

I know reading isn't for everyone but I clearly mentioned security and law enforcement. That's who should have handled the fighting fools. Poor crowd control rests solely on leadership.

For a comparison of proper crowd control; the other night, the line for the ferry boat was literally to the turnstiles. With proper crowd control and leadership presence, we were on board a ferry and heading across the lagoon within 10 minutes.

I would say that one is expected while the other is not but that wouldn't be correct. You can't expect to serve unlimited alcohol to people and think that every single one of them is going to behave properly. It's not like this is the first incident, much less at Epcot. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the need for a sign saying not to climb Aztec pyramids.

You’re argument makes little sense. The line for the boat is expected. A brawl outside of a Donald Duck meet and greet is not.

Regardless of leadership, security, police, military, they aren’t going to magically be able to get through the crowd any more than you are once it’s formed.

Based on this comment; Essentially I think this boils down to you not liking alcohol being served so liberally at Epcot so you’re finding fault where there is none. There are plenty of threads for that argument that go on and on.

draybook

Original Poster
You’re argument makes little sense. The line for the boat is expected. A brawl outside of a Donald Duck meet and greet is not.

Regardless of leadership, security, police, military, they aren’t going to magically be able to get through the crowd any more than you are once it’s formed.

Based on this comment; Essentially I think this boils down to you not liking alcohol being served so liberally at Epcot so you’re finding fault where there is none. There are plenty of threads for that argument that go on and on.

I don't like my kid or anyone else's being smooshed because of bad management and direction. And if you think that law enforcement can't get through a crowd faster than regular guests, you're just being obtuse.

Other people in the crowd were complaining about the same thing, both out loud and in conversation with me during and after the fact. Some little fella on the internet holds no weight with me with his opinion when I was there and had to deal with their incompetent ways.

SteamboatJoe

I don't like my kid or anyone else's being smooshed because of bad management and direction. And if you think that law enforcement can't get through a crowd faster than regular guests, you're just being obtuse.

Other people in the crowd were complaining about the same thing, both out loud and in conversation with me during and after the fact. Some little fella on the internet holds no weight with me with his opinion when I was there and had to deal with their incompetent ways.

Well, this post certainly is telling.

eliza61nyc

Don't know how it is in other parts of the country but here in SC whenever there is a car accident traffic backs up for miles. It never fails cops every where at the scene and not a single one directing traffic around the accident. So this does not surprise me at WDW

Or here in Philly the big thing is road construction. You see one guy actually doing the work, 4 guys watching him do the work and traffic backed up for miles. lol I love the flaggers who hold the sign but never get traffic moving.

Getting crowds to move where you want them to, IS not as easy as some folks think it is.

SteamboatJoe

Or here in Philly the big thing is road construction. You see one guy actually doing the work, 4 guys watching him do the work and traffic backed up for miles. lol I love the flaggers who hold the sign but never get traffic moving.

Getting crowds to move where you want them to, IS not as easy as some folks think it is.

To be fair, those people are there to make sure the scene/work space, and the people in them, are safe, not to make sure drivers are not inconvenienced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom