Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - January 15-18, 2015 (Disneyland)

dreamfinder

I'm calling the challenge sold out as of like 7/5. The reg page dumps you right to login, no longer lets you pick the event and defaults to half marathon.

Rebel Challenge - Sold Out 7/5/2016ish
Star Wars 1/2 Marathon: The Light Side
Star Wars 10k - Sold Out 6/14/2016
Star Wars 5k - Sold Out 6/14/2016
runDisney Kids Races - Sold Out 6/14/2016

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So have a question for you seasoned runDisney runners. Obviously too late to register for the 2017 Light Side races. But I really want that Kessel Run medal, 'cause I'm all about the medals. ;)

So that means 2018 I'm going to do both the Light Side and Dark Side Halfs. But I'm still going to run the Princess Half weekend in February. Is the under 30 day period between the two events sufficient time to recover? Would love to do the Rebel Challenge (remember I said I'm all about the medals. :joyfull:), but not at the expense of the Glass Slipper the following month. By that time I will have been seriously running for nearly three years. Disney did back down on their "you can't get both the Kessel and Coast to Coast, you gave to choose" mandate, correct?

And what's the course for DLR halfs? Run along Harbour Freeway? Its been decades since I've been home in the winter (yes, my screen name means something) and January is one of the rainest months during the winter rainy season...if it's still raining in Southern CA. Not worried about cold; winters in LA are mild compared to where I live in Florida (when we used to have winter).

Thanks!

Texas84

So have a question for you seasoned runDisney runners. Obviously too late to register for the 2017 Light Side races. But I really want that Kessel Run medal, 'cause I'm all about the medals. ;)

So that means 2018 I'm going to do both the Light Side and Dark Side Halfs. But I'm still going to run the Princess Half weekend in February. Is the under 30 day period between the two events sufficient time to recover? Would love to do the Rebel Challenge (remember I said I'm all about the medals. :joyfull:), but not at the expense of the Glass Slipper the following month. By that time I will have been seriously running for nearly three years. Disney did back down on their "you can't get both the Kessel and Coast to Coast, you gave to choose" mandate, correct?

And what's the course for DLR halfs? Run along Harbour Freeway? Its been decades since I've been home in the winter (yes, my screen name means something) and January is one of the rainest months during the winter rainy season...if it's still raining in Southern CA. Not worried about cold; winters in LA are mild compared to where I live in Florida (when we used to have winter).

Thanks!

I usually take a week off after a major event, but I always run a half after Dopey. But even two half marathons back to back should be OK with a good training plan.

The Light Side run goes through the parks then down Harbor to Garden Grove and back. Very fast course once you get out of the parks. The normal DL half goes to the Big A and back.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I usually take a week off after a major event, but I always run a half after Dopey. But even two half marathons back to back should be OK with a good training plan.

The Light Side run goes through the parks then down Harbor to Garden Grove and back. Very fast course once you get out of the parks. The normal DL half goes to the Big A and back.

Thanks, @Texas84. Will be using Galloway's, since that's been my go to for all the runDisney races.

I gather like WDW races, they start in the early AM? I cannot imagine running down Harbor in rush hour...... which is probably 24/7 now.

Wait, you ran a HALF AFTER Dopey?! *bows down in awe*

Last edited:

Texas84

Thanks, @Texas84. Will be using Galloway's, since that's been my got to for all the runDisney races.

I gather like WDW races, they start in the early AM? I cannot imagine running down Harbor in rush hour...... which is probably 24/7 now.

Wait, you run a HALF AFTER Dopey?! *bows down in awe*

Very early. The usual 0500 or 0530 I think. And on Sunday.

Twice I did Star Wars after the Dopey and got my C2C in January. :D

LAKid53

Premium Member
Very early. The usual 0500 or 0530 I think. And on Sunday.

Twice I did Star Wars after the Dopey and got my C2C in January. :D

Wow...a week apart... and on different coasts. I'm gobsmacked. *applause* *thumbs up* and envious

dreamfinder

Thanks!

Time between races really depends on you. I've done 1/2s on successive weekends, both at full on race pace with no problem. There are whole groups (Marathon Maniacs for instance) devoted to running races in short spans, awarding points based on how closely together you run them. In all honesty, doing two challenge weekends back to back is no worse than two training weekends for Goofy or Dopey in say November. So if you take one or both them more as a training run, and less of a race, then it's no issue at all. Depending on your training plan, 4 weeks out might be like a 10-11 mile run anyway, so it's not a huge stretch if you take it easy. But it will really depend on your body and how hard you push.

I didn't think they were letting you use the same race for two challenges, but I haven't been following that aspect terribly closely. The courses for DLR all have slightly different paths, and I think have been modified a bit each year due to construction work in the surrounding areas. All the old maps should be floating around, I think if you dig through some of the old threads they are linked.

Chet Dakota

Thanks!

I don't know what they will do in 2017 or 2018, but this year (2016) i received both the Kessel and the C2C, I did not make any special request, they just gave me the wristbands when I did the package pick-up at Dark Side.

As Texas said, you run through the parks then down Harbour Blvd to Garden Grove and back. It was early Sunday AM, and they had the streets blocked off. No traffic that I recall.

The DLR courses were mega-times better than the WDW courses. Way more running in the Parks, and once outside the Parks, they had local HS and College bands and cheerleaders along Harbour cheering you on. There were also probably 8 to 10 "large groups" of CosPlayers along the route that were also cheering you on. Those groups were really the best. I think at Dark Side/WDW I say one small group of CosPlayers near the entrance to DHS and that was it.

I am really looking forward to Light Side in 2017.

Chet Dakota

Light Side - Very similar courses as last year, except the 5k and 10k are being run in reverse, as is the Half course in the Parks. The Half course outside the Parks is the same as last year.

Texas84

Light Side - Very similar courses as last year, except the 5k and 10k are being run in reverse, as is the Half course in the Parks. The Half course outside the Parks is the same as last year.

Did not notice that. I'll have to go back and check it out. But then I just try to get out of the parks as fast as I can.

ForeverAnna

Congratulations to everyone who ran this weekend. After being swept between mile 9 and 10 at Tinker Belle last year I am happy to post this photo today.

IMG_6594.JPG
Time 04:03:04

LAKid53

Premium Member
@Texas84, I have a couple of questions since I'm considering running in the 2018 Light Side.

1. Do most runners stay on property? If not, is DLR as as WDW about guests walking to the corrals from their nearby hotels? I gather runners staying in DLR resorts walk to the corrals, at least for the 5k and 10k races...

2. Are the challenges as popular as the ones at WDW?

3. Are there really only 2 hydration stations during the 10k? I found the guide from 2017 and was surprised to see that.

4. If staying on site or nearby hotel, is the finish line and area within a short walking distance from your hotel? I'm not familiar with AR Transportation and don't want to find myself with a longer walk than I can handle to get back to my hotel.

5. Did you stay on property or at a hotel nearby? I understand the Courtyard Marriott that opened a year or so ago is really nice...and close.

6. Is the Expo really in the Disneyland Hotel? DLR races must have fewer participants....

I'm considering running just the Half and maybe the 5k for a warmup.

Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom