Inaugural DVC stay

macefamily

Original Poster
We did a split resort stay this past week at Saratoga and Boardwalk. Had to do so because it was short notice for the trip. DVC actually did a nice job of getting this set up for us in such a short time...4 weeks notice. Being my first DVC trip, I was a bit nervous and after the trip I have some questions. First, we had a rental car because we had some off-property things to attend to so we didn't use Magical Express. So, when we pulled into the resort we are all able bodied humans so we removed our bags and took them ourselves. The bellhops almost seemed offended that we were doing so. Is it customary to let them handle the bags ? I was expected that we'd have the room refreshed (at least the beds made) each day. I didn't realize that DVC rooms are left alone unless the stay is 8 days or longer. Sorry, but with my points, I'm not EVER going to be staying for 8 days. That goes for the towels too; just four towels for three people. And, of course the wife and daughter need a body towel AND a hair towel. No clean towels are provided daily. I guess that's why there's a washer/dryer (which are extremely loud). Learned quickly to do a wash while away from the room. Because the room attendants do not turn the room each day, what is the recommended gratuity ? I usually leave about $4-5 per day when they are cleaning my room every day. What about DVC ?
People were generally friendly. However, I did run into one douchebag at Boardwalk. I was having a few drinks hanging out while my wife was checking in. A guy sat next to me and introduced himself. During our conversation I mentioned that it was our first DVC stay. He asked where we were staying and what our home resort was. I told him we just finished our stay at Saratoga and our home was Old Key West. He kind of smirked and said that the going joke for DVC members is that Saratoga is the "DVC ghetto." He made me feel like a low-rent member. He went on about his multiple resort points. I was tuned out at that point because I can't stand blowhards like that. I quickly excused myself and got away before I said something rude.

nickys

Premium Member
We did a split resort stay this past week at Saratoga and Boardwalk. Had to do so because it was short notice for the trip. DVC actually did a nice job of getting this set up for us in such a short time...4 weeks notice. Being my first DVC trip, I was a bit nervous and after the trip I have some questions. First, we had a rental car because we had some off-property things to attend to so we didn't use Magical Express. So, when we pulled into the resort we are all able bodied humans so we removed our bags and took them ourselves. The bellhops almost seemed offended that we were doing so. Is it customary to let them handle the bags ? I was expected that we'd have the room refreshed (at least the beds made) each day. I didn't realize that DVC rooms are left alone unless the stay is 8 days or longer. Sorry, but with my points, I'm not EVER going to be staying for 8 days. That goes for the towels too; just four towels for three people. And, of course the wife and daughter need a body towel AND a hair towel. No clean towels are provided daily. I guess that's why there's a washer/dryer (which are extremely loud). Learned quickly to do a wash while away from the room. Because the room attendants do not turn the room each day, what is the recommended gratuity ? I usually leave about $4-5 per day when they are cleaning my room every day. What about DVC ?
People were generally friendly. However, I did run into one douchebag at Boardwalk. I was having a few drinks hanging out while my wife was checking in. A guy sat next to me and introduced himself. During our conversation I mentioned that it was our first DVC stay. He asked where we were staying and what our home resort was. I told him we just finished our stay at Saratoga and our home was Old Key West. He kind of smirked and said that the going joke for DVC members is that Saratoga is the "DVC ghetto." He made me feel like a low-rent member. He went on about his multiple resort points. I was tuned out at that point because I can't stand blowhards like that. I quickly excused myself and got away before I said something rude.

We don’t get daily housekeeping; our dues would have to increase considerably to pay for that.

If your stay is less than 8 days you get trash and towel service on day 4 (check-in day being day 1). That is slightly misnamed now, since they empty trash each day. But you should have got fresh towels then automatically.

And they recently changed things so you can ask Housekeeping for new towels and toiletries etc to be replenished at any time; there used to be a charge for that but they removed it.

I usually tip $5 a day on the days they do the cleaning (4, 8 etc) and double on check-out day, for the four of us. So $1 per person per day, rounded up.

RememberWhen

Sorry that guy was a jerk. Saratoga and Key West have always been nice when we stayed there.
we always used to just grab lots of extra towels at the pool on our first day, but as @nickys says, you can now ask for new towels. I agree that the washers are loud, but we usually run them when we’re out of the room, or at night. I don’t find them too loud to sleep.
Hopefully you have nicer interactions with people in the future. We’re not all horrible.;)

Lensman

So, when we pulled into the resort we are all able bodied humans so we removed our bags and took them ourselves. The bellhops almost seemed offended that we were doing so. Is it customary to let them handle the bags ?
I don't think that's at all unusual. Maybe they were just being overly solicitous to be nice but got the tone a little wrong? Oh well. Or maybe things are really slow nowadays?

That guy sounds just awful!

Saratoga Springs isn't my favorite resort but it's always the one with last-minute availability so we often end up there. Maybe he was just trying to "commiserate" but his humor fell flat?

Anyway, sorry to hear that you had a couple of unpleasant encounters. Hope you enjoyed yourselves anyway!

I'm with @nickys on tipping, but it depends on how hard the wife and kids have been on the room. Sometimes I tip more but that's only when I'm embarrassed by the state the room is in when we leave. We always get extra towels, but we have no problem using them for several days, but I'm also religious about hanging them up to dry before heading out for the day.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Because the room attendants do not turn the room each day, what is the recommended gratuity ? I usually leave about $4-5 per day when they are cleaning my room every day. What about DVC ?
We usually leave $5 on the trash and towel, and $10 for the full cleaning.

Our home resort is SSR, and we love it there. Some idiot that thinks SSR is "DVC ghetto" is just that - an idiot. While we do stay at other resorts as well, we've never felt like low rent members when we stay there. Oh, and I would have made quite the rude comment to the blowhard!

correcaminos

I'm sorry for the rudeness of the owner. I am sorry also you did not understand about the towels. You can definitely request more as stated.

While the theme of SSR isn't for me (neither is VGF or BLT for that matter) there is nothing wrong with SSR. I need to visit after this past refurb though. It's nicer looking via pics to me. Enjoy your stays!

Phonedave

I am a proud SSR owner myself. Usually it is a tongue in cheek type of humor that people have toward SSR. I am a member of a DVC FB group where SSR is referred to as "The hood". It's all in good fun on that group. And it is a VERY snarky group.

Maybe the person you talked too has heard this sort of joke about SSR, but did not realize that it is not a serious opinion. Don't let it bother you.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom