In what ways will COVID-19 change how you vacation at Disney?

durangojim

Original Poster
Besides the obvious such as mask use, etc. for us it’ll be that we drive from Michigan and use our vehicle for transportation instead of relying on Disney transportation. 98% of the time we used to fly.

RememberWhen

We haven’t driven, but are considering it for our December trip. Especially if we can’t get tickets. We’ll need to be able to visit other places.

Nottamus

We always drive in, so that won’t change, but maybe driving to parks will be a thing now? Idk.
I have my Alexa show set up to cycle vacation pics from the last ones in WDW, and there was one right after Illuminations and all I saw in the pic was PEOPLE!
And I thought ...”How am I doing to avoid PEOPLE??”

We canceled a November 2020 trip but we are booked in April 2021....a lot could happen by then.

JIMINYCR

We are hoping by the time of our 2021 trip things will be back to normal but already having to pick our park days this far in advance on the MDE site to ensure we will get into a park is crazy. Looking at changing how we will plan our days without park hopping, especially when it comes to dining choices will limit our fun. Weve never not park hopped. Having to arrange dining reservations at 60 days instead of 180 may lock us out of choices. We are going to have to stock up on gloves, sanitizers and figure out which masks will be better suited for the heat. We're not going to be paranoid about other guests but we will surely be more aware of where they are in proximity to us and whether they are following safety precautions. We may decide to avoid the pools and hot tubs. And if the parades, shows and fireworks are still banned, it just wont feel like weve really been to Disney.

jaklgreen

I have a trip planned for October and I have been thinking about it. I don't think how I tour will change that much. I have been many times and am not one of those that has to spend all day going from ride to ride. I do a lot of the less popular things like the Maharajah Jungle trek at AK and the shows in WS. I pretty much wander around and enjoy the details with a few rides mixed in. I am just really happy to be there and relax. Most of my trips are solo and so I just avoid others as much as possible anyway. I am looking forward to a less crowded park. I just hope that by then they open up more of the good food places around World Showcase.

MissViv

I have a trip planned for October and I have been thinking about it. I don't think how I tour will change that much. I have been many times and am not one of those that has to spend all day going from ride to ride. I do a lot of the less popular things like the Maharajah Jungle trek at AK and the shows in WS. I pretty much wander around and enjoy the details with a few rides mixed in. I am just really happy to be there and relax. Most of my trips are solo and so I just avoid others as much as possible anyway. I am looking forward to a less crowded park. I just hope that by then they open up more of the good food places around World Showcase.

Same here. I am also booked for October and going solo and really looking forward to it. I love to just take my leisure time and try to stay away from the crowds. I do like the rides but if I miss some, no big deal. Just looking forward to time away from home and hope my trip will still happen. I am going to fly because a 10+ hour car trip by myself would be no fun!

eliza61nyc

So I cancelled this years trip and I too am hoping by summer of 2021 we have some sort of vaccine. I think for me it's really more of an awareness. Things like making sure I give my fellow guest more "space", I always washed my hands after the restroom but now it's more of a "did I wash them for 20 secs, can I pop in and wash them after touching some thing" things like that. will I be as "touchy" in the gift shops as I was prior covid.
I'm dvc and I really didn't clean my room when I first came, now I'll probably do a quick disinfection. I know I'll definitely be traveling with some lysol wipes. lol

Raineman

It will change WHEN I vacation at Disney, not necessarily how. 99% chance that I won't be back until things return to pre-COVID level operations. And before someone throws that irritating "new normal" at me, I realize that not everything will be the same, but it should return to what we remember, with some small differences. If I have to wait until late 2021-early 2022, I will. I would like to catch some of the 50th anniversary stuff, but if I don't, at least maybe some of the new attractions will be ready by then.

Ricky Spanish

Well, the virus has made us move our June 2020 trip to June 2021.
And with the way things are currently in the Great Ol’ U. S. of A., I’m not confident that our trip will happen then.
Gonna really watch the WDW reopening and following few months.

NelleBelle

We always fly from the Pacific Northwest but for next summer, we're planning on towing our airstream and driving to Ft. Wilderness. We'll have our "home-on-wheels" and will be able to be somewhat control environment that we travel/sleep in. I've always hated the germ factor on planes and people definitely stared at me when I whipped out the wipes and started going to town cleaning everything in my area (seatbelts, tray tables, armrest, overhead call-buttons/air-nozzeles, window shades). Have always practice hand-hygiene after every ride and before eating but will be more diligent about making sure my kids are really practicing that.

Stitch826

Well, COVID-19 is currently going to change the way I vacation at Disney by discouraging me from going. This due to both the pandemic itself and the multitude of restrictions and cutbacks Disney has made this summer. I would like to go early next year, but will definitely not return until the face mask requirement is removed. Going forward to when that occurs, I don't feel that COVID-19 will change much about how I vacation at Disney. I will still fly on airplanes, still use Disney's transportation, etc. Whether or not I choose to wear a mask during those extended times in enclosed spaces depends upon the state of the pandemic. I will still be sure to wipe down all surfaces in my hotel room with sanitizing wipes when I check-in and wash my hands before eating. Hopefully Disney keeps some of their preventative measures even after the pandemic is over, such as temperature checks before entering the parks and removal of self-serve buffets. I personally don't see the cutbacks and restrictions lasting long-term, simply due to the company needing to make money. If airlines are choosing to/allowed to operate at full capacity currently (not a decision I agree with whatsoever, by the way), Disney shouldn't be that far behind.

Goofyernmost

I'm happy to say... it doesn't change anything since I wasn't planning anything this year anyway and will not be until the all clear is sounded..

We’ll drive instead of fly, and we’ll cut down on indoor dining. We might drive to the parks, and we might choose a different resort or a different view. Maybe we’ll bring food back to our room some of the time.

jaklgreen

We always fly from the Pacific Northwest but for next summer, we're planning on towing our airstream and driving to Ft. Wilderness. We'll have our "home-on-wheels" and will be able to be somewhat control environment that we travel/sleep in. I've always hated the germ factor on planes and people definitely stared at me when I whipped out the wipes and started going to town cleaning everything in my area (seatbelts, tray tables, armrest, overhead call-buttons/air-nozzeles, window shades). Have always practice hand-hygiene after every ride and before eating but will be more diligent about making sure my kids are really practicing that.

I bet people will start thinking you are smart for wiping things down now. LOL I got funny looks all the time when I brought paper towels with me to Blaze pizza to open the door and hold the pager. But, to me, it's always been gross touching everything and then picking up your food. We also are very conscious of what we are doing and try not to touch everything as we go along.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I bet people will start thinking you are smart for wiping things down now. LOL I got funny looks all the time when I brought paper towels with me to Blaze pizza to open the door and hold the pager. But, to me, it's always been gross touching everything and then picking up your food. We also are very conscious of what we are doing and try not to touch everything as we go along.

Meanwhile my family (including my mom a retired RN and my dad a farmer) does not worry about things like that.
A little dirt don't hurt and in fact can help your immunity towards illness.
Are we having Covid parties? HECK NO. But we also are not wiping things down and leaving groceries outside for days etc.
We never use hand sanitizer either. We actually had to go buy some from a distillery when this all started and we have only used it a few times each. Now we had a giant jug just sitting there lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom