In the World without a car for the first time

forevermickey

Original Poster
Hi everyone:wave:
In May I am taking my 6 year old daughter for 3 nights... it will just be the 2 of us for the first time, I am excited! Another first.. we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge:sohappy:.... another first, we will be using the Magical Express(we usually rent a car from the airport). So my questions is ...
What is the quickest way to Epcot and DTD from the WL Resort.. would it be waiting for a bus or taking a boat to MK and hopping on the Monorail to Epcot? I am thinking bus especially with all the monorail issues... just want to double check with you all who are experts with Disney Transportation :) thanks

Cmdr_Crimson

The bus might be a better option..But, I do believe (Someone correct me on this) the bus for WL also stops at Fort Wilderness and then goes to said destination..So you might have a few minutes in between getting to the parks or DTD.

CaptainShortty

In general, the less forms of transportation you have to take, the quicker it will be. So, that being said, the bus is usually the fastest. It does stop at Fort Wilderness but FW is on the way to DTD and isn't to far out of the way to get to Epcot so you don't waste to much time. Have a great trip!

BringMeTheHoriz

The buses will probably be faster, but my advice: mix it up! We stay at the Fort Wilderness lodge every Christmas and we choose based on how we're feeling. The boat/monorail route is alot more magical and gives the better experience, but yes it takes longer. The bus is a bit less magical (actually not at all) but it is quicker. If you don't want to always be rushing around, slow your getaway down, take the boat and enjoy your time.

forevermickey

Original Poster
I had visions of taking the boat to the monorail to the TTC switch to Epcot monorail... how long do you think that will take? About an hour? Also, with the Magical Express... when you are checking out and have a flight out of Orlando @ 12ishpm what time will Magical express want us on the bus? Just wondering if we will have time for a Table service breakfast :)

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Magical Express likes to pick up ridiculously early. Depending on the pick up schedule, you can probably expect them to put you on a bus in the 9:00-9:30 hour. I would say that a table service meal probably wouldn't work for that morning unless you can get the very first seating at Whispering Canyon.

wolf359

I think you should try out the boat to monorail to TTC to Epcot monorail at least once to be sure, but keep in mind if your timing is slightly off you could be waiting 10-20 minutes to board EACH of those legs of the trip. So you may end up spending an hour just waiting to board in addition to the actual travel times. While in theory it may sound leisurely, in practice it would just be frustrating.

Buses to/from the Wilderness Lodge do take a bit of a scenic route but you're still going to come out WAY ahead on time getting to your destination.

The variety of transportation options available are a real plus to staying at a Deluxe resort, but I'd save some of the options for closer destinations and avoid too many complicated connections.

forevermickey

Original Poster
Thanks everyone:) I am considering renting a car... I can get to my destination quicker and leave later on my last day .... now to find the cheapest car rental I can!

dreamfinder

I had visions of taking the boat to the monorail to the TTC switch to Epcot monorail... how long do you think that will take? About an hour? Also, with the Magical Express... when you are checking out and have a flight out of Orlando @ 12ishpm what time will Magical express want us on the bus? Just wondering if we will have time for a Table service breakfast :)

DME will pick you up approx 3 hrs before for a domestic flight, and 4 hrs before for an international. So around 9am. If you get a 7am meal @ Whispering Canyon, you should be ok.

And you really only gain 30 mins to an hour if you drive yourself. I strongly recommend being at MCO well in advance as their TSA lines can be terrible.

harryk

Thanks everyone:) I am considering renting a car... I can get to my destination quicker and leave later on my last day .... now to find the cheapest car rental I can!

Did the car rental last December - just for use in WDW. Used Hertz which is located within WDW.

Was a great choice since did not have to wait for bus transport when we left the various parks in the evening. However - many days found ourselves parked a long way from the entrance to EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.
Visiting the various resorts was okay, in that they had guest parking lots available for use.

In the future we shall just take the bus from WL - the waits are not very long and we usually do find seats.

sublimesting

I never use a car...always bus. Who wants to be bothered coordinating the usage of their hands and feet and eyes whilst on a vacation? Not me.

PhilharMagician

Did the car rental last December - just for use in WDW. Used Hertz which is located within WDW.

Was a great choice since did not have to wait for bus transport when we left the various parks in the evening. However - many days found ourselves parked a long way from the entrance to EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.
Visiting the various resorts was okay, in that they had guest parking lots available for use.

In the future we shall just take the bus from WL - the waits are not very long and we usually do find seats.

Where is Hertz located?

The closest Hertz location I guess would be Bonnet Creek. There are quite a few located in the are, but none on property.

Alamo and National are located on WDW property in differant 2 locations. The Car Care Center and the WDW Dolphin.

Enterprise along with a few other companies have locations in one of the DTD resorts on Hotel BLVD.

harryk

Where is Hertz located?

The closest Hertz location I guess would be Bonnet Creek. There are quite a few located in the are, but none on property.

Alamo and National are located on WDW property in differant 2 locations. The Car Care Center and the WDW Dolphin.

Enterprise along with a few other companies have locations in one of the DTD resorts on Hotel BLVD.

Sorry about that -- we used the Car Care Center - believe it was National.
We tend to have many 'senior moments' at this time.

kucarachi

There is an Alamo right at the exit of the magic kingdom. We rented a car from the alamo at MCO airport then returned it to the one right there then took the magical express. But the time you are saving not taking the bus or the boat, you are going to make up for renting, returning, refilling the gas...etc. The buses from the deluxe hotels never take long to get you where you want to go.

I am pretty sure that the wilderness lodge offers direct to park transportation and they have buses that go to Ft. Wilderness, and i believe the electronic signs on the bus say so. We've taken the bus to animal kingdom, and mgm and never had trouble. Plus don't forget that you are going to be tired and a nice relaxing ride on the bus can rest your feet. Not sure if your kids are in strollers but the boat ride means you dont have to fold anything.

jonabyte

Even if you have a car, sometimes it's better to take transportation. I have done the WL to MK to Epcot via monorail. It always seems longer on the way back. :)

TheAmazingBobbo

I actually love taking DME and not having a car, it makes me feel much more immersed although I could see where it could be majorly inconvenient for some people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom