In the '70s, was it still called the Magic Kingdom?

Tigger1988

Did you read the dedication plaque?:veryconfu

Did you not read the opening day ticket?:veryconfu
Or watch the commercial from 1971?:veryconfu
Or read the various quotes posted from "Since the World Began"?:veryconfu

I think the OP's question has been answered

Wilt Dasney

It's pretty clear that it's a dedication for both the resort and the park, with the resort being known as Walt Disney World and the park as Magic Kingdom.

That may well be the case, but I wouldn't say that it's "clear" by any stretch. The plaque never makes a distinction between resort and park, leaving any differentiation between WDW and MK to be sorted out elsewhere.

Madison

That may well be the case, but I wouldn't say that it's "clear" by any stretch. The plaque never makes a distinction between resort and park, leaving any differentiation between WDW and MK to be sorted out elsewhere.

For the record, I'm a dork and enjoy this -- I don't want for anyone to think I'm a crazy fanatic. I am, but I don't want you to think that :)

So, the latter part of the dedication reads, "May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place... a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn -- together." I take this to mean that Walt Disney World exists to support those who come to 'this happy place,' that place being where the dedication was taking place, "a Magic Kingdom." Thus, Magic Kingdom is the park and Walt Disney World the resort.

:p

Wilt Dasney

For the record, I'm a dork and enjoy this -- I don't want for anyone to think I'm a crazy fanatic. I am, but I don't want you to think that :)

So, the latter part of the dedication reads, "May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place... a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn -- together." I take this to mean that Walt Disney World exists to support those who come to 'this happy place,' that place being where the dedication was taking place, "a Magic Kingdom." Thus, Magic Kingdom is the park and Walt Disney World the resort.

:p
An adequate, if somewhat legalistic, interpretation. :lol:

(I still call fudge.) :animwink:

Woody13

An adequate, if somewhat legalistic, interpretation. :lol:

(I still call fudge.) :animwink:
Did someone say, “legalistic?” :lol: None of the legal documents that were drawn up to finance or build Walt Disney World mention anything about the Magic Kingdom. The Florida Legislature had to pass a law to allow the creation of the Reedy Creek Improvement District enabling Walt Disney Productions to operate Walt Disney World. There is no mention of the Magic Kingdom.

The official groundbreaking was for construction of Walt Disney World, not the Magic Kingdom.

All of the labor union contracts mention construction of Walt Disney World, not the Magic Kingdom.

The Walt Disney Company bought five railroad engines for use in Walt Disney World, not the Magic Kingdom.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District created the EPCOT Building Code allowing the construction of Walt Disney World, not the Magic Kingdom.

:wave:

Tigger1988

Did someone say, “legalistic?” :lol: None of the legal documents that were drawn up to finance or build Walt Disney World mention anything about the Magic Kingdom. The Florida Legislature had to pass a law to allow the creation of the Reedy Creek Improvement District enabling Walt Disney Productions to operate Walt Disney World. There is no mention of the Magic Kingdom.

The official groundbreaking was for construction of Walt Disney World, not the Magic Kingdom.

All of the labor union contracts mention construction of Walt Disney World, not the Magic Kingdom.

The Walt Disney Company bought five railroad engines for use in Walt Disney World, not the Magic Kingdom.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District created the EPCOT Building Code allowing the construction of Walt Disney World, not the Magic Kingdom.

:wave:

...Because Walt Disney World is the RESORT area that include the Magic Kingdom, and those documents should state WDW not Magic Kingdom. :wave:

I think I'm done with this topic now. Walt Disney World and Magic Kingdom = 2 different things. End of story.

Woody13

...Because Walt Disney World is the RESORT area that include the Magic Kingdom, and those documents should state WDW not Magic Kingdom. :wave:
Not for the groundbreaking of the theme park or the construction of the utilidors, etc. Labor unions are particular about that sort of language. :lookaroun

Madison

Its not even worth trying anymore, we proved him wrong and he won't accept it.

Oh, I don't care enough to be wrong or right. It's just fun to poke back and forth is all; and I mean it in good fun. It's a pretty inconsequential detail to nag about, really.

Woody13

When we have a groundbreaking for a skyscraper, is there also a groundbreaking for its bathrooms?

The plumber’s union contract has to be negotiated just as does the ditch digger’s union contract. :wave:
Get this.. Anaheim's version is officially called

Disneyland, Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom

http://home.pacbell.net/jonvn/Souvenirs/souvenir1960/p12.html
this page is from the 60's

HEHE
Indeed, I was saving that for later in the discussion. Since you brought it up, it shows that the term "Magic Kingdom" is generic to Disney rather than specific to one theme park. :wave:

mrtoad

I have nothing to say about the MK vs WDW thing but wanted to reply about the wave machine. I don't think it was ever active after the resort opened. If I remember correctly that it was shut off prior to opening because it was eroding the beach at the Poly.

musketeer

Original Poster
I hope everyone will take from this thread the following: If you hear, see, read, etc someone use the phrase(s) "Disney", "Disney World", etc to desribe the Magic Kingdom...DON'T FLIP OUT!!!! It isn't the end of the world!!! Life WILL go on, believe it or not. They may have just been used to it from when it was the only park, which is how my parents are, and I completely understand. Or maybe they just don't know, but there is no reason to call them dumb or stupid or think anything negative about it.

And also, so what if someone says, "Fast Track" or "the Big Golf Ball" or "Mission to Mars" or "It's a Bug's Life"...in fact, if you want to be techincal about it, you should get equally upset when someone says, "Splash" or "Space" or WORST, IASW. Those aren't the correct names either.

mrtoad

I hope everyone will take from this thread the following: If you hear, see, read, etc someone use the phrase(s) "Disney", "Disney World", etc to desribe the Magic Kingdom...DON'T FLIP OUT!!!! It isn't the end of the world!!! Life WILL go on, believe it or not. They may have just been used to it from when it was the only park, which is how my parents are, and I completely understand. Or maybe they just don't know, but there is no reason to call them dumb or stupid or think anything negative about it.

And also, so what if someone says, "Fast Track" or "the Big Golf Ball" or "Mission to Mars" or "It's a Bug's Life"...in fact, if you want to be techincal about it, you should get equally upset when someone says, "Splash" or "Space" or WORST, IASW. Those aren't the correct names either.

I refuse though to hear someone call Walt Disney World Disneyland and vice versa and not correct them.

It is like saying I am going to the New York City this weekend when you really mean Chicago...

AEfx

I think I'm done with this topic now. Walt Disney World and Magic Kingdom = 2 different things. End of story.

Exactly. It has always been, "Magic Kingdom". It may have been refered to as "Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom" before, like someone would refer to "New York City's Statue of Liberty" or "San Fransisco's Golden Gate Bridge", but the wikipedia quote is patently wrong that it was "never" said without it. All one has to do is look at the tickets from the very first day, or the guide books, to see that it is completely incorrect.

The dedication plaque to WDW was placed within the MK. There is no MK-only dedication, this is true. I believe I actually read that as a "quirky fact" somewhere before, but I won't stake my life on it because I can't back it up with a source and I'm not going to tread through all my Disney books, LOL. Regardless, it would have made little sense to either a) put two dedications in the same park, or b) to, at the time, put the overall WDW dedication anywhere but the MK because no one went anywhere else. They couldn't exactly put the dedication in the Contemporary parking lot or some swamp in the middle of the property; wouldn't have been nearly as nice a photo op.

I think it's pretty clear that it is, and always has been, "Magic Kingdom", and never simply "Walt Disney World". In the end, it doesn't matter what people actually call it, of course, but I think the historical fact remains that Magic Kingdom has been it's name from the start, as a PART of Walt Disney World. If you really think about it, they have always made the distinction; it's just after a certain point in the 1990's they did begin to brand it harder as they didn't want the prior use of "a magic kingdom", or "walt's magic kingdom" at Disneyland to impact the branding of Magic Kingdom Park.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom